« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Total Lockout
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black
Total Lockout

O.K, bought a new MY10 FL2 HSE 5 weeks ago, drove it around for the weekend "impressed" before having to go to the U.S for a month. Arrive home today, go to bed for a few hours and check the car is o.k on waking up before needing it in the morning.
No access via the key-fob "as expected" although alarm warning light is flashing on the dash. Try to open car with the key in the passenger door, which will only turn one way and not open door. Tried the second key too and still no access.

Not soooo impressed tonight, had to call LR and waiting for the AA

Anybody Any ideas as to why the key will not open up?

Ta!

Post #72484 20th Jul 2010 9:47 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I had the same problem when I tested my key

Told by Dealer and LRCS it's because the car is deadlocked when I queried it
Evil or Very Mad

I think most people would fully lock a car, stupid to say the least Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #72486 20th Jul 2010 9:52 pm
Wing

npinks wrote:
I had the same problem when I tested my key

Told by Dealer and LRCS it's because the car is deadlocked when I queried it
Evil or Very Mad

I think most people would fully lock a car, stupid to say the least

Cheers Npinks

Just 73 miles on the clock since new and was assured by the dealer that leaving it for 1 month wouldn't be a problem. He'll be getting a call from me in the morning, but who wouldn't deadlock a car for security. Don't want this problem every time I go away for long periods. Evil or Very Mad

Post #72490 20th Jul 2010 10:00 pm
Udash

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

We know that the CJB (Central Junction Box) shuts down after a month to save the battery, only way to wake up the CJB is to turn the key, which wont work when deadlocked, which is really a design fault.
I think LR should modify the software so that before the CJB shuts down it should reverse the deadlock to normal lock mode.
Less likely..but, have you tried the keyfob after you turn the door key? I am thinking that maybe just turning the key might wake the CJB so you can use the remote to unlock it. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #72527 21st Jul 2010 12:44 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

next time leave the fob with your neighbour so they can unlock and relock it once a week - just make sure you make a note of the mileage and whats in the tank before you go - they may be tempted to take it for a spin...

Post #72531 21st Jul 2010 1:48 pm
Wing

Total Lockout (Solved)

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

The AA turned up last night courtesy of Land Rover assistance and sorted it in no time.

I was expecting the key-fob door opening issue after reading threads on here before I bought the car, but was a bit annoyed last night when even the key wouldn't work, so here is a brief run down of what happened last night after the AA arrived.

1) Man arrives and listens to me moaning for five minutes before he tries the key fob "No surprise to find it not working"
2) Knows about the hidden door lock and key but goes to wrong door
3) Directed to passenger door and shown key not opening door by me "still moaning"
4) He suggests both keys have lost power over the 4 weeks it has been parked up, so I go and retrieve the second key that I tried earlier.
5) I walk out the door to hear the alarm sounding and a smiling AA man holding the door open.
6) I jump in the car "astonished" with the second fob, stick it in and it fires up first time.
7) How the ****

Basically he hadn't heard of any problems with the FL2, nor did he know about the electrical shut down affecting the key-fob opening. However, he did know about a similar problem with Merc's and flat batteries and said on occasion he's had to use pliers on the master key to get the door open.

I'd had a quick look in the manual previously and it had shown the key opening the door in either direction, but on mine there was only a small amount of anticlockwise movement in the barrel yet the doors wouldn't open, I did try clockwise rotation but didn't want to break the key in the lock so stopped short of a lot of pressure.

AA man arrives and uses brute force "said his finger hurt turning the key" and does the job.

I tried it with and without dead locking today and there is a lot of clockwise force needed to open the door, but it is possible to open the door using the key when the deadlocks are on.

Anyway, a fiver later and a sheepish grin and I'm mobile again Embarassed

He did a battery check too and found the battery to be in good shape despite it being parked up for 31 days, so I hope this comes in handy to anyone else with door opening problems! Very Happy

Post #72548 21st Jul 2010 5:57 pm
wingit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

"I tried it with and without dead locking today and there is a lot of clockwise force needed to open the door, but it is possible to open the door using the key when the deadlocks are on".

This is good to know Very Happy

Post #72549 21st Jul 2010 5:59 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

And they say LR should know how there cars work, obviously not when I asked them Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #72550 21st Jul 2010 6:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1