« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Rear wiper failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red
Rear wiper failure

Just put my freely in for its second year service - the rear wiper stopped working (but not in the parked position) luckily a couple of days ago. Dealer says it needs a new motor...which fortunately should be in tomorrow.

I haven't seen this mentioend as a frequent fault - anyone else experienced this? There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #66753 20th Apr 2010 1:36 pm
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

Just had rear wiper mech replaced on my Audi. Dealer said it had happened to a lot of people after the cold weather. Apparently the water froze in the pipe feeding the rear wiper system which then split and leaked washer fluid into the motor when the warm weather arrived. Might be the same prob with yours. Didn't happen to our FL2 as probably put more washer fluid in than water which prevented it freezing quite as much.

Post #66800 20th Apr 2010 11:02 pm
flycop2000

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

My rear wiper has just started to stop part way through wipe cycle and make a very loud buzzing sound. The only way to stop it is to pull the wiper back to the park position. My FL is due to go back to the stealers to get the B piller trim replaced and try and sort the dropping seat! I will get them to look at then. Very Happy Very Happy

Post #66816 21st Apr 2010 10:35 am
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

My 08 FL2 rear wiper did not always self park or would not work without a helping hand a couple of weeks before delivery of new car. Dealer said they had to fit new one. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #66835 21st Apr 2010 3:31 pm
flycop2000

I've never had as many faults with a new car before this one! Very Happy Very Happy

Post #66875 21st Apr 2010 11:49 pm
flycop2000

Just had my rear wiper motor replaced by Stratstone, Edinburgh this week. They phoned me and asked if I had my 30,000 service done as the dash service indicator message was showing up? When I told them I already had the service done, they offered to reset the message for £60 ! WTF !!!!! This is the same dealer who wanted to repair a seized brake actuator for £320 as it was not warranty but fair wear and tear? This was repaired under warranty by another Dealer. Very Happy Very Happy

Post #69349 27th May 2010 10:15 am
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

I'm now told by a friendly LR tech that the rear wiper motor is one of the FL2's failure points. Other than that he says they are great and that is not just in comparison with RRS / D3 but all cars. He also suggested that 27.5 to 29.0 mpg was about right for FL2 diesel consumption - little they can do to bring it up so If you are geeting more then don't complain!! There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #69371 27th May 2010 1:30 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

flycop2000 wrote:
Just had my rear wiper motor replaced by Stratstone, Edinburgh this week. They phoned me and asked if I had my 30,000 service done as the dash service indicator message was showing up? When I told them I already had the service done, they offered to reset the message for £60 ! WTF !!!!! This is the same dealer who wanted to repair a seized brake actuator for £320 as it was not warranty but fair wear and tear? This was repaired under warranty by another Dealer. Very Happy Very Happy

Why did you go back to them having had such a hard time with your seized brake actuator?? Confused MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #69381 27th May 2010 3:31 pm
flycop2000

Hi tenet,

There were other warranty repairs required to be done when they first had the car in for the brake problem and parts needed to be ordered. (door pillar trims, rear parking sensor wiring harness, rear wiper motor)

Very Happy Very Happy

Post #69393 27th May 2010 4:30 pm
The Road Toad

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Narvik Black

rear Wiper motor gone on my 07 too - luckily still under warranty - just. Tattoos - Why would you choose to look like the wall of a public toilet?

Post #69704 1st Jun 2010 3:52 pm
AndyP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Thought I would update this thread will a little analysis, having got here via a google search. My 4 yr old FL2 just suffered a rear wiper failure, stuck part way into a wipe cycle. Investigation showed the motor hot to the touch (removing the tailgate trim is easy enough, two screws in the recessed handles and then lever away starting close to the glass). Removed the wiper motor assembly, and took off the cover to the gear mechanism. Corroded solid, clearly water gets in via the blade drive spindle. I can only imagine everyone being effected, unless there was a design revision to better seal the spindle. Fortunately 15 mins cleaning got it all back working again. No long term fix, just filled the chamber with grease Smile

Post #101229 8th May 2011 2:14 pm
ad210358

England 

If any one has any problem with the wiper not working or parking incorrectly the outcome can be very serious.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic5183.html?

Post #101234 8th May 2011 3:01 pm
doctor feelgood

Scotland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Narvik Black

AndyP wrote:
Thought I would update this thread will a little analysis, having got here via a google search. My 4 yr old FL2 just suffered a rear wiper failure, stuck part way into a wipe cycle. Investigation showed the motor hot to the touch (removing the tailgate trim is easy enough, two screws in the recessed handles and then lever away starting close to the glass). Removed the wiper motor assembly, and took off the cover to the gear mechanism. Corroded solid, clearly water gets in via the blade drive spindle. I can only imagine everyone being effected, unless there was a design revision to better seal the spindle. Fortunately 15 mins cleaning got it all back working again. No long term fix, just filled the chamber with grease Smile

.......I have the same issue and stripped the motor down, cleaned out and reassembled but unfortunately I will have to replace it. I phoned my local LR "stealer" who quoted £152 for the motor unit, anyone know of alternative sources?

Post #111371 28th Aug 2011 11:30 am
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

flycop2000 wrote:
I've never had as many faults with a new car before this one! Very Happy Very Happy

Im seem to be missing out here, Ive never get any faults with mine.

Post #111379 28th Aug 2011 3:32 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Mona Geeza wrote:
flycop2000 wrote:

Im seem to be missing out here, Ive never get any faults with mine.

If your that upset why not just pop along to your 'Main Dealer' and ask them to look over the car for anything they think they may want to do to it. Whistle 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #111383 28th Aug 2011 3:47 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>