« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Freelander 2 Gear box problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
JOHNTYWYN

Wales 
Freelander 2 Gear box problems

I have recently bought a new Freelander 2 XS, and apart from issues with the Sat Nav which I have mentioned in another thread, I find the car to be a very pleasing vehicle. However, there is an issue which I am wondering if any one else has experienced. Some time ago I noticed some difficulty in changing out of second gear. It only happened occasionally, and the lever feels very rubbery when it happens. It seemed to happen three or four times in the same period of time, and then would not re-occur for perhaps another 200 miles.
Initially I ignored it, thinking that perhaps I was not using the correct technique for exiting this gear. However, a few days ago on a journey to Swansea, it happened again and more aggressively; not only coming out of 2nd gear but also 4th !! I have booked the car into Cambrian Land Rover for them to look at, but apparently this is something new to them. At times when the fault is not present, the gear box is as smooth as anything I have ever driven before. The Freelander has incidentally now covered 3500 miles. Any one who has experienced similar problems may like to add their comments please.

Post #66610 18th Apr 2010 10:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
FR2471

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Yes I had this on my 07 plate SE manual the dealer had it back a number ot times greasing the gear change cables and also doing some other work but none to my satisfaction. I insisted they changed the gearbox but they would not accept there was an issue so after only 6 months of ownership they bought the car back. I believe in the end after the next owner complained that the car had a new gearbox. My main issue was with second gear cant remember if fourth was an issue also.

Post #66660 19th Apr 2010 12:16 am
JOHNTYWYN

Wales 

Many thanks. This sounds like bad news; any one else experienced problems please.

Post #66665 19th Apr 2010 9:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JOHNTYWYN

Wales 

Up date on my gear box issues. After several trips to the Dealers, who were most helpful, and replaced a cable, and did other work as well; only for the same problem to re-emerge on my 34 mile journey back home; I finally think the problem has been identified.

Whilst at Cambrian Aberystwyth yesterday, on my second call of the day, the Service Manager appeared waving an e-mail he had only just received from Land Rover identifying the problem. It is far too technical for me to explain, but basically it involves a screw working loose on a component part associated with the gear box.
It took no longer than 15 minutes to complete what will be a permanent repair.

My Freelander has now done 3800 miles, and this problem started at around 2000 miles. Apparently it is only likely to occur on vehicles with stop start technology. So if anyone should experience similar difficulties with their car, take it to your Dealer and refer them to the e-mail sent by L.R. on the 26th. April 2010.

Incidentally, whilst at the garage they linked up the vehicle E.C.U. to the computer because my fuel consumption reading would never go higher than 41.6 m.p.g. even when driving at a speed that should read out in excess of 50 m.p.g. Instant success on this programming of the injectors, and my readings are now infinitely better.

Post #67342 27th Apr 2010 9:25 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

thanks for the info JOHNTYWYN, glad you finally got it sorted

Iain

Post #67347 27th Apr 2010 10:26 am
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

JOHNTYWYN - Re your injectors - Do you know exactly what your dealer did and has it improved your overall MPG readings? If so, might be the solution to a lot of people's MPG issues as highlighted by numerous threads on this forum! My FL2 still settles back down to 29MPG regardless of number of times resetting the trip etc...
Cheers. Mojo

Post #67356 27th Apr 2010 12:13 pm
JOHNTYWYN

Wales 

I am not exactly sure what they did, other than link it up to the computer and re-install the factory settings for the fuel injectors. I am sure any dealer would be able to rectify these issues if presented with the facts. Good luck

Post #67395 28th Apr 2010 9:29 am
spider

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Zermatt Silver

I only became a Freelander owner in March 2010 and when at just 600 miles the gearchange seemed locked in second I thought the problem was my unfamiliarity with the gearbox. However I was immensely relieved to see that someone else had exactly the same difficulty and that LR had recognised the hiccup. Well the dealer has promptly sorted it out (4 May 2010) and indeed I was thanked for quoting the details about the service bulletin from LR.

I am absolutely delighted with the vehicle and can readily forgive the problem which I believe was due to a loose ball joint on the gearchange which has now been secured correctly. When I jumped back into my repaired vehicle after using a non-LR loan car I was certainly reminded of the reasons I bought it. Very refined and a pleasure to drive.

Thank you guys and gals for your forum posts - I have found them most useful. MY2010 Freelander 2 XS TD4e in Zermatt Silver
Privacy Glass, Almond Leather, LR dog-guard

Last edited by spider on 5th May 2010 9:25 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #67766 4th May 2010 4:22 pm
JOHNTYWYN

Wales 

Glad to hear of someone who has experienced the same problem; and that like me; it has now been sorted out. The Freelander is certainly a fine car, and I hope the road ahead will now be smooth. 10 plate owners may be well advised to have their dealer look at this issue before it arises; it is only a 30 minute job, and would prove to be very inconvenient if it developed whilst on holiday.[/b]

Post #67773 4th May 2010 5:35 pm
Raselander

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Same problem here. Intermittent problem changing out of second. Have booked in with Marshall Lincoln quoting email so hopefully will get speedy resolution.

Post #67982 7th May 2010 4:37 pm
JOHNTYWYN

Wales 

I am sure you will. Mine started on second gear, but deteriorated and was happening on fourth as well.

But all is well now.

Post #68033 8th May 2010 8:38 am
GregT

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

We had the same gear box problem with 2nd gear at about 2000 miles while on holiday in France in June. LR Assistance arranged for the vehicle to be taken to LR dealer in Lisieux and left with them. Problem was fixed. I go the impression it didn't take long to fix. I don't know the detail of the problem other than it was mechanical - my knowledge of technical French wasn't up to understanding the explanation!

LR Assistance were great. They arranged 11 days free Avis rental and all necessary taxis.

We love our Freelander - fabulous to drive. Hope it doesn't let us down again.

Post #73134 1st Aug 2010 12:54 pm
JOHNTYWYN

Wales 

Glad you all seem to be sorted. My Freelander has now topped 8000 miles and the gear box is fine.

Post #73166 2nd Aug 2010 9:14 am
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Took my new XS into the dealer to have the rear window tinted, the car has done 12000 miles since March and never missed a beat, its superb.
When I took the car in for the work the receptionist booked it into the computer and said Oh! whilst its here there a recall/repair on a pin that works loose on the "speed selection lever" which I assumed is the gear lever? she said the mechanics need to check to make sures its correctly fitted and secured, maybe this is what causes the selection problems if it works loose? though mine never did. I was only wrong once and thats when I thought I was but wasnt.

2010 Freelander 2 XS Stornaway Grey
2010 Aston DBS Morning Frost
2010 Bentley Continental Brooklands Green

Post #73194 2nd Aug 2010 8:21 pm
JOHNTYWYN

Wales 

Yes indeed Mona Geeza, that was the source of the problem. Glad all is well now.

Post #73242 3rd Aug 2010 8:22 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>