Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Freelander 2 Gear box problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
athelstan

Mona Geeza wrote:

When I took the car in for the work the receptionist booked it into the computer and said Oh! whilst its here there a recall/repair on a pin that works loose on the "speed selection lever" which I assumed is the gear lever? s.

Mona Geeza - Anyone
Do you know the official LR assigned "reference number" to this recall/repair Question
Such an official reference would be very useful for folks to quote should they too experience a similar problem and are confronted by a service manager pronouncing "I've never heard of that - very unusual!"

Post #73262 3rd Aug 2010 4:26 pm
alex_pescaru

Special Service Message (SSM) 44149
Models: LF - Freelander 2
Title Freelander 2 Manual Transmission-Gears difficult/stiff to select
Last Modified 26-APR-2010 07:53
Category Driveline
Symptom 505200 - Manual Shift Lever/Linkage Concerns Content
Issue: Customer may report Gearshift linkage does not operate freely (stiff or partially seized)
Cause: Ball pin on transmission shift lever at the gearbox end may not be tightened to torque and could eventually work loose.When it works loose, fore / aft gear shift motion will become stiff (cable touches other cable and cast face) eventually the ball pin may work it's way out.
Action: For Vehicles within the range specified, if a customer reports the above described issue it may be possible the root cause is due to the Ball pin that the transmission cable attaches onto has not been torqued to the correct Value of 20 Nm (+/-3Nm) and has therefore worked loose. When investigating customer reports for Gearshift linkage does not operate freely, please consider this as a potential cause. Any vehicles found with this concern should be rectified following the relevant GTR procedures also ensuring the ball pin joint is secured to a torque value of 20Nm (+/- 3Nm).

Post #73268 3rd Aug 2010 6:42 pm
athelstan

THANKS ALEX Thumbs Up

Post #73270 3rd Aug 2010 6:59 pm
frencheee

United Kingdom 

alex_pescaru wrote:
Category Driveline
Issue: Customer may report Gearshift linkage does not operate freely (stiff or partially seized)
Cause: Ball pin on transmission shift lever at the gearbox end may not be tightened to torque and could eventually work loose.When it works loose, fore / aft gear shift motion will become stiff (cable touches other cable and cast face) eventually the ball pin may work it's way out.
Action: For Vehicles within the range specified, if a customer reports the above described issue it may be possible the root cause is due to the Ball pin that the transmission cable attaches onto has not been torqued to the correct Value of 20 Nm (+/-3Nm) and has therefore worked loose. When investigating customer reports for Gearshift linkage does not operate freely, please consider this as a potential cause. Any vehicles found with this concern should be rectified following the relevant GTR procedures also ensuring the ball pin joint is secured to a torque value of 20Nm (+/- 3Nm).

Does anyone have a copy of the "GTR Procedure" On this SSM 44149?

Post #99289 20th Apr 2011 2:50 am
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 

Mmmm, very interesting. Did your gear stick twitch too? To demonstrate this (mine does in 4th & 6th), drive along giving it some acceleration then lift off accelerator then you can feel and see gear stick flick/jump/twitch forwards...??
MM

Post #99390 20th Apr 2011 11:05 pm
athelstan

Back in August 2010 her Laydship's FL2 had the ball pin correctly torqued and the gear shift was very much improved and no problems since - except - on very cold winter's morning (below -5°C) the movement is very stiff from 1st to 2nd until the gearbox oil has warmed up.

It had never "twitched" in any selected gear - just locked into position and required a great deal of force to move the lever out of its selected position. Once on our July'10 Spanish road trip it actually locked in 3rd. That time we stopped the car, switch the ignition off and for a few minutes applied a great deal of force to release it out of 3rd. It only did that once.

Post #99412 21st Apr 2011 9:09 am
Massi&Freelander2

Italy 

alex_pescaru wrote:
Category Driveline

Sorry but I don't know exatly... which Ball pin is talking about?
 FREELANDER 2 (2011) 4WD MANUAL

Post #435534 7th Sep 2023 10:32 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

The parts you’ve shown in your photo are the input end of the gearshift mechanism in the cockpit. The service message is about the gearbox end of the gearshift mechanism under the airbox in the engine compartment. It refers to the linkage between the cable and the gear change quadrant.

Post #435537 7th Sep 2023 11:49 am
BossBob

Sorry, double post!

Post #435538 7th Sep 2023 11:50 am
Massi&Freelander2

Italy 

Do you talk about those?
 FREELANDER 2 (2011) 4WD MANUAL

Post #435540 7th Sep 2023 12:56 pm
BossBob

Yes, there are Bowden cables that join the gearbox selector to the gearstick and from memory they connect to these ball pins. Because the cables are hidden under the air box they are never lubricated and become stiff. You really want a lubricant that will get along the length of the cable. NOT WD40 which isn’t a lubricant and will evaporate leaving a dry cable. Something that contains graphite or Teflon.

Post #435546 7th Sep 2023 4:47 pm
Massi&Freelander2

Italy 

Ok, very thank you BossBob!
In this evening I removed the airbox filter and I lubricated both cable... we'll see tomorrow morning. FREELANDER 2 (2011) 4WD MANUAL

Post #435553 7th Sep 2023 8:54 pm
Massi&Freelander2

Italy 

Unfortunately the problem still happens... uff FREELANDER 2 (2011) 4WD MANUAL

Post #435585 9th Sep 2023 6:10 am
Massi&Freelander2

Italy 

Today I discovered the way to avoid the problem:

1- I start the engine and I wait thirty seconds;

2- Down the clutch;

3- Engage the third gear:

4- Up the clutch very slowly... just to get moving the Freelander 2 a few centimeters;

5- Still down the clutch;

6- Now, still moving slightly, I can engage all gears without any problems... FREELANDER 2 (2011) 4WD MANUAL

Post #435631 11th Sep 2023 12:37 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Although I find the later part of this thread hard to understand, the last symptoms seem to indicate a dragging (out of adjustment) clutch. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #435641 11th Sep 2023 5:40 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>