« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Reduced engine performance td4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
albert frederik

Netherlands 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Narvik Black
Reduced engine performance td4

We are now driving our new Freelander2 for one week, we drove about 400 Km, the fourth day on the highway the display showed "reduced engine perfromance" next thing the power is reduced and one is allowed to drive maximum 80 km/h.
Drove to the garage, they performed a software scan and found 145 errors, so like windows software update and try again, everything should be fine, however next day same procedure, at this moment they are looking for the cause and we expect that the petrol (diesel) filter in the exhaust system (obligatory in europe) is the cause.

anyone a similar experience?

Fred.

Post #3799 13th Jun 2007 3:57 pm
Mike

Netherlands 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Sumatra Black

I have the reduces engine performance every day when I start the car. In about 5 minutes, the message disappears. Seems like I have to have a windows update too Confused
Calles the dealer, and they said that i need to wait for 1,5 hours, this is the time the software update probably lasts. Decided to wait for the first check

Post #3822 14th Jun 2007 11:01 pm
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

That's true Mike, since they have to check what updates are necessary for your specific vehicle plus the upload process, but it's worth the while.Good luck.

Post #3827 15th Jun 2007 8:57 am
albert frederik

Today i picked up the car again, the dealer discovered that the range of the measurement of the before and after pressure in the particle filter was to narrow, they checked the settings in the software update and widened the range.

cross fingers now.

Regards.

Post #3830 15th Jun 2007 3:44 pm
albert frederik

Evening all,

The car is functioning very well now and is exceeding all expectations, we bougt a middle arm rest at wood company and mounted it and i must say its quite allright.
Also we build in a gold cruise control and also this is functioning very well.
the original arm rests will be mounted next week.
so we are happy everything sorted out well, and now enjoy!!

Post #4137 28th Jun 2007 7:17 pm
albert frederik

Well, after one month of trouble free driving we will be off to the dealer tomorrow because today we again suffer the 'reduced engine performance' mode, ggrrrmmmbblll!!!!!!!!

Post #5026 2nd Aug 2007 7:58 pm
albert frederik

Hello Again,

For the fourth time we returned the car to the dealer and this time we left it there, no more resets for us.
Same old story car went in limp mode again, the dealer told us that the problem is being worked on and that more cars in the Netherlands suffer this error.

Now the story is that the combination of auto gear and diesel (petrol) engine is causing a swifter pollution of the engine and or particle filter because of the very low rpm of this autogear/dieselengine combination

Since the dealer told us the error is acknowledged even by LR UK, I wonder if I am only the lonely in this forum??

Post #6158 4th Sep 2007 7:20 pm
lagarhus

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Izmir Blue

The problem is well known by Land Rover, and is specific for the TD4/diesel/auto/particle filter. It requires a new software which they are developing right now. My Land Rover not usable due to this problem; given back to dealer and given a substitue 4WD until problem is solved. Has been 3 weeks now, but said to expect up to 6 weeks.
The car given to me is another high profile brand and much more expensive, but not as pleasant and good to drive as the Freelander 2. So even thouogh I am fine with a new fancy 4WD, I still look forward to getting the Freelander 2 back.

Post #6678 13th Sep 2007 7:06 pm
albert frederik

@ lagarhus, welcome that makes two of us, I have been told also end of September and according to my information they are working on the solution by letting the engine force regeneration after a certain number of start/stops. According to yamahafan in Germany also a number of cars are stuck at the dealers.

Interesting is the point of view of Yamahafan about the used and prescribed oil in the freelander 2.
See the topic I started about the dpf full procedure. just mention it to your dealer.

Post #6681 13th Sep 2007 7:51 pm
lagarhus

New software available and installed

Hello,

Dealer just called, new software from LR factory received and installed, and supposed to solve all problems.
We'll see, but dealer sounds confident. So, the XC90 will be returned for the Freelander 2 today; actually looking forward to that.

Post #7367 24th Sep 2007 12:31 pm
lagarhus

Still running strong.

I have now had the car with the new sofrtware installed 11 days and driven 800 km. No sign of the previous Reduced Engine Power syndrome. Car is running very nicely, and so much better on the road than the XC90 loaner.

Looking forward to winter, hills and snow in Norway.

Post #7970 5th Oct 2007 10:49 am
charvis_tu

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

I have suffered the 3rd time "Reduced Engine Performance" even installed the new version S/W in Oct'07.

Truely I believed this issue have solved after S/W upgraded because it did not happen from 5000KM to 23600KM by my TD4.

What else I can do to survive from this disaster? New one is not the better one!

Post #22655 21st Jun 2008 9:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

To all interested: our Freely 2 -only TD4 with DPF- have 2 (two) pressure sensing devices build into the exhaust system. These two pressure sensors measure the difference of the exhaust fume pressure going into the exhaust and going out of the exhaust system. If the difference in pressure exceeds a certain limit the electronic "assumes" that the DPF is full, and the engine goes into reduced power to avoid any damage.
Such pressure devices are set in some Freely's with a too narrow pressure difference, and the slightest soot deposit in the DPF will trigger the reduced power alarm. Unfortunately, it is also recorded, that the first series of pressure sensors had a manufacturing fault (tolerances are too narrow), and will be replaced by LR free of charge within the guarantee period. In Germany, all TD4-Freely's with DPF have been called into the workshop for check-up and replacement, if required.
This is over and above the up-dating of the electronic engine management, which changes the parameters of DPF cleaning process, which is a mix af the following: 1. min. engine rev's to clean the DPF changed from 2.200 rpm to 1.700 rpm, 2. a certain number of engine starts and stops will trigger now the DPF cleaning, and 3. a certain milage is is required. The lesser of 2 and 3 will trigger the cleaning.

YF

Post #22661 21st Jun 2008 3:49 pm
albert frederik

Good evening Yamaha fan,

We now drove another 15.000 km without dpf warnings, we are not much of off roaders but I am still curious how to deal with this in a holiday in the mountains, show me a trail you can run the engine 20 minutes with a rpm >1700
And while car is in limp mode (reduced engine performance) try to leave your holiday site with only 10% of engine power left.
Finally professor Yamaha fan I am curious about how much fuel is wasted during a cleaning cycle of the Filter? Since I noticed a drop in mpg after the update.

Regards Albert Frederik

Post #22795 23rd Jun 2008 10:19 pm
charvis_tu

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

My local dealer has consulted with the technical manager in TW. He insisted to update my exhaust sensors setting first couple weeks ago. Even I strongly recommend to replaced my potential abnormal sensors.

Then I suffered again today in hard raining way. Should I replace my exhaust sensors after so many trial runs?

Or any other way to get the full support about this issue?

By the way, this problem can be simulated by raining hard weather (more water on the road) and high speed driving (>110Km/hr). New one is not the better one!

Post #24861 28th Jul 2008 8:39 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>