« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > overfill of engine oil
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
PJW

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey
overfill of engine oil

Just had oil changed by dealer and they have overfilled it by about 1 cm above full on dip stick. does any body know if this will cause a problem. Dealer said it would be ok???

has any body used an oil extractor through the dip stick? and will it work on an FL2. The spiral dip stick has a problem going down, will the plastic tube of an oil extractor have any problem reaching the sump?

Any advice would be welcome Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto with Winter Pack, Stornaway Grey, Ebony, Grey Mirror Caps. Removable towbar with 13 pin Electrics

Post #24969 30th Jul 2008 5:33 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I don't know if this is the 'correct' answer but I've had a similar experience with overfill at service time. There is no doubt that there is a level of oil consumption going on because I have to top up between services (not much, about 0.5 litre to stay half way on the dip stick). I was concerned the first time I saw the overfill it but soon forgot about it, then with a small amount of oil consumption the problem went away so there were no adverse consequences.

Like I say probably not the 'text book' way to deal with it, but in real life this is what happened Thumbs Up

Post #24973 30th Jul 2008 7:55 pm
PJW

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Thanks avtur, only had the oil change as i had recently been towing for 2K Miles in france and thought i might be protecting the engine only to let the dealer stuff it up!

Might try and pump it out through the dip stick as dealer doesn't seem concerned.

In my estimation about 0.5 of a litre too much!

Can this be done on the FR2? Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto with Winter Pack, Stornaway Grey, Ebony, Grey Mirror Caps. Removable towbar with 13 pin Electrics

Post #24976 30th Jul 2008 9:08 pm
m1964

United States 
Re: overfill of engine oil

PJW wrote:
Just had oil changed by dealer and they have overfilled it by about 1 cm above full on dip stick. does any body know if this will cause a problem. Dealer said it would be ok???

Any advice would be welcome

Oil overfill may cause rear and /or front engine seal to start leaking due to excessive oil pressure.

Post #24981 31st Jul 2008 4:00 am
bjartin

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

You can see pics of my "overfill" here:
http://www.freel2.com/forum/post17171.html#17171

It happened 4 months ago and there are no indications that the engine has taken the damage. LR Freelander2 2,2 Td4 HSE manuel Stornaway Grey (Metallic) & Ebony Black Leather & Sun/Moon-roof & Bi-Xenon & Roof Rails & Tow bar & Body side rubbing strips & Cold climate pack & Privacy glass & NavTeq . Production Date: 11/5-2007 in Halewood.

Sorry, but I have changed to Defender 90 ", and I love my" tractor ".
http://www.youtube.com/bjartin

Post #24989 31st Jul 2008 7:48 am
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Overfill of engine oil should by all means be avoided as the cram shafts will splash in the excessive oil and oil foam is build up which may prevent proper oil float. The result is overheating of the engine with possible engine damage.

YF

Post #25021 31st Jul 2008 8:54 pm
muddywheels

England 

I have experienced overfill on services for years and they always say no problem - makes you wonder why they bother putting the marks on dipsticks and the quantities in the handbook Shocked

I have trusted the dealers in the past because I always changed before warranty ran out and figured any problem would be covered if they lied. Evil or Very Mad

You should ask the dealer to sort the level - they did it so why should you deal with it Rolling Eyes

Post #25039 1st Aug 2008 10:12 am
Chris B

United Kingdom 

Yamaha Fan is right - if the oil level is much too high the crankshaft (not the camshaft) may dip in the oil which wastes power directly as well as splashing the oil about. Even if it does not touch the windage will stir up the oil and increase resitance - losing economy/power.

Even though LR will have done an overfill test to be sure that there is no failure, oil and fule consumption with rise and the Dealer should put it right, why else is there a big note in the handbook that says DO NOT OVERFILL!

Chris Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #25040 1st Aug 2008 10:43 am
pwven

South Africa 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Nazca Sand

Agree with Chris B it is the crackshaft that may splach in the oil causing the foaming. On the level road it may be ok but it is when 4X4ing going up and down steep angles that it is more likely.

Post #25050 1st Aug 2008 12:41 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Thank you Chris - my lousy english.

YF

Post #25074 1st Aug 2008 9:11 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

As has been said you should definately not overfill.

The correct level is between low and high and putting it higher than the high mark is a definate no no.

I do wish dealer personell would not talk such Censored sometimes, but unfortuantely that is the car industry these days. Once you've tasted GREY you'll never go back!

Post #25115 3rd Aug 2008 6:30 am
John L

United Kingdom 

I remember hearing of a lady in a Metro about 20 years ago blowing her car up because she literally filled it up with oil!!! Yes thats right she was going on a run so she took the filler cap off filled it up so that it was to the filler neck and drove off from South London into Kent. Blew the Censored up and the Highways Agency had to resurface a lane of the A2 where the oil had blown out and ruined the Tarmac.

Post #25411 9th Aug 2008 7:49 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

An old girlfriend of mine did similar on her old Vauxhall Nova. Someone told her she needed a top up of oil so she went and bought a can and poured it in.
FIVE LITRES !!

I seem to remember the car only needed 3 and a bit to completely change the oil.

She had driven in from her home (about 10 miles) with probably about 7 and a bit litres of oil in.

I drained some off and she never had a problem with it after. Lucky or what? Shocked

Post #25415 10th Aug 2008 12:16 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1