Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Its like Bambi on Ice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
proplus

What about Pirelli Scorpion Zero M+S? These were fitted to my FL2 since the day I collected it in November. They've coped well with the weather in the last few months. But I do know they are pretty darn expensive.

Post #59736 16th Feb 2010 2:06 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

If you look at the many tyre reports out there that they have tested Pirelli Scorpion Zero tyres do not last very long and so pound for pound they are not that good.Ive got the Wranglers that have been mentioned,ive done 22,000 miles and there are still about 5,000 miles left on them.
The recent snow we had they worked very well so i know what tyres i will be bying next Thumbs Up

Post #59782 16th Feb 2010 5:50 pm
John L

United Kingdom 

I have still got original fit Michelin Latitude,still good at 31k. They were great in the recent bad weather,no problems at all.

Post #59820 16th Feb 2010 8:57 pm
gilfishman

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

i find it hard to belive Shocked you had this much of a problem in the recent snow and ice,i got the original wranglers on mine ,and she was awesome in the ice/snow Thumbs Up Thumbs Up ,....i know tyres make a difference but is it worth having the terrain responce/drive shafts checked out to see every thing is ok with 4wd Idea Idea

Post #59840 16th Feb 2010 10:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bone

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Rimini Red

Nothing wrong with the car, terrain response is working and 4wd system running fine.

It is the tyres, I have checked them out further and they are a summer tyre with a dry biased pattern.

Reviews on the internet say they are absolutely terrible in anything other that pefectly dry conditions.

I think this is just a case of the tyres not being suitable for the car. Nothing more Gone S383 ABA Freelander 2.0 XEDI Rioja Red
Gone NT02 CUA Freelander 2.0 TD4 ES Blue
Gone ND06 URU Freelander 2.0 TD4 Rimini Red
Gone NA56 VJN Freeelander 2.0 TD4 Black
HERE OE07 JRX Freelander 2.2 TD4 XS Rimini

Post #59896 17th Feb 2010 12:13 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

John L wrote:
I have still got original fit Michelin Latitude,still good at 31k. They were great in the recent bad weather,no problems at all.

Michelin make a winter tyre developed especially for 4x4 vehicles - Latitude X-Ice (non-studded).
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...tude+X-Ice

These were recommended by my dealer and are still performing excellently on their third winter on snow and ice covered asphalt and deep snow covered mountain tracks Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #59911 17th Feb 2010 1:45 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

a little bit of black ice on the estate roads today, the car went round the corner and it felt like the back end went a little haywire, as if it wanted to overtake me, a slight rummble and the car was fine

It felt as if i had got a blow out and was driving on the rim, for a split second, i thought i was Embarassed , until i relised it was the abs stability control kicking in

still checked my tyres when i got out Laughing

and this was on very fine ice, as if it was just in the cracks of the ashfelt and a fine top layer Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #59929 17th Feb 2010 2:51 pm
AndyC

npinks wrote:
a little bit of black ice on the estate roads today, the car went round the corner and it felt like the back end went a little haywire, as if it wanted to overtake me, a slight rummble and the car was fine

It felt as if i had got a blow out and was driving on the rim, for a split second, i thought i was Embarassed , until i relised it was the abs stability control kicking in

and this was on very fine ice, as if it was just in the cracks of the ashfelt and a fine top layer

If only studded tyres were law in the UK Wink They are so good on ice you hardly notice there is ice at all Whistle The only negative is that they are noisy on dry roads but far more secure than studless winter tyres Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #59933 17th Feb 2010 3:11 pm
The Doc

United Kingdom 

AndyC wrote:
npinks wrote:

and this was on very fine ice, as if it was just in the cracks of the ashfelt and a fine top layer

If only studded tyres were law in the UK Wink They are so good on ice you hardly notice there is ice at all Whistle The only negative is that they are noisy on dry roads but far more secure than studless winter tyres Thumbs Up

Agreed mate - but the Latitude X-Ice you mentioned earlier are a very good tyre

Post #59935 17th Feb 2010 3:15 pm
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

I got the Conti Contact UHP's (19") on the car, and I really don't like how they handle water. In fact I am looking to get an A/T tyre which handles somewhat when wet for the car.

They were fine on 25 cm of snow over earth roads but on water they really suck. They have a tiny M+S label on them but I think they should be labeled as regular summer tyres. Rolling Eyes

Wife's Golf V with Michelin Energy Tires drives better when wet than mine. Big Cry 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #59938 17th Feb 2010 3:24 pm
Radeco

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

My HSE came with Pirelli Scorpion Zero - rubbish in snow - had to get rid so I got Continental Cross Contact 235/55 R19 105V
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...K:MEWNX:IT Much better - Still cannot get over the price - Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter G4 Freelander 2005 V6 HSE Stage 1 Thailand/Laos. HQ Support YZT
Grey Freelander 2 2011 SD4 HSE - Works Van - gone to a new home.

Post #59952 17th Feb 2010 4:57 pm
AndyC

Radeco wrote:
My HSE came with Pirelli Scorpion Zero - rubbish in snow - had to get rid so I got Continental Cross Contact 235/55 R19 105V
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...K:MEWNX:IT Much better - Still cannot get over the price - Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

I have Pirelli Scorpion Zero on my summer wheels - excellent for what they are designed SUMMER driving Thumbs Up but I would never use them in winter Wink 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #59982 17th Feb 2010 6:14 pm
proplus

AndyC wrote:
Radeco wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...K:MEWNX:IT Much better - Still cannot get over the price - Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

I have Pirelli Scorpion Zero on my summer wheels - excellent for what they are designed SUMMER driving Thumbs Up but I would never use them in winter Wink

Which is strange, as mentioned above, mine came with Pirelli Scorpion Zeros and during the really bad weather we had in the last few months, only once did I have to switch TR on.

Post #59997 17th Feb 2010 6:48 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

same here pirellis impressed in the bad weather, At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #60010 17th Feb 2010 7:10 pm
ad210358

England 

CG, serious question, do you still have the Scorpions on your wheels or have they worn out now, if so what were they like in the recent bad weather Question

Post #60025 17th Feb 2010 8:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>