« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Flat Battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
tunaz100

United Kingdom 
Flat Battery

Had LR assist out today as the car wouldn't start and gave me transmission fault error messages, it turned out to be a flat battery after being stood for just a couple of days the guy tested the battery with no faults but I'm concerned...any thoughts?

It happened New Years Eve just before a trip to Anglesea to the outlaws place, luckily we have a decent second car or it would have been very inconvenient I'm now a bit worried about leaving it for more than a couple of days not the best for a £25k motor! SHINY BLACK BEAUTY - FL2GS AUTO WITH A FEW OPTIONS...AFTERMARKET (SO FULL!!) ALPACA LEATHER, LEATHER WHEEL, 18" ALLOYS, PHILIPS BRIGHT HEADLAMP BULBS, PRIVACY GLASS, CHROME MIRRORS, CLEAR INDICATORS, THULE ROOF BARS, FL2 STICKER, WHAT TO GET NEXT?

Post #53606 3rd Jan 2010 12:00 am
The Doc

United Kingdom 

It's not right. We hav'nt used ours for at least 10 days and it started first time this morning, was it an AA man or the genuine LR guy?

Post #53607 3rd Jan 2010 12:02 am
Boxer

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

A lot of cars drain the battery quick now because of the Alarms.
My Boxster was about 1 week then it would go into hibernate.
3 days seems a bit crap though even with winter starting.
Check the battery Voltage should be 12.6 volts after a couple of days, and 14 when charging.

Post #53608 3rd Jan 2010 12:05 am
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Sounds like a new battery is needed. Wife's car has been stood idle since before christmas, started it today for the first time with no problems at all.

Get it to the stealer Thumbs Up ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #53640 3rd Jan 2010 12:58 pm
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

I left mine stood over a month whilst working away. On return, the alarm system had gone into power save mode, which means it ignores remote fobs. This is a feature, not a fault. You then let yourself in with the emergency key, dock the fob and start. Started first time - everything normal.
If you'd done a lot of short journeys with lights/PTC heater/screen heater etc. all running, it's possible your battery was quite depleted but is probably otherwise healthy. Also, anything plugged into the rear 12V accessory socket will draw continuous power - don't leave accessories plugged in there.

Post #53644 3rd Jan 2010 1:12 pm
EdSnow

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Flat battery topic has been on before see
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic3711.html...p;start=30

This thread might help

Thumbs Up Freelander 2 XS 2.2 TD4 Met Black, with Winter pack, 18" alloys with General Grabber AT2 wellies, MANTEC Sump and Tank Guards

Post #53673 3rd Jan 2010 4:55 pm
John L

United Kingdom 

Mine has always started (touch wood) in this cold spell, but the thing that has really surprised me is my daughters Fiesta. It is 8 years old-51 plate and still has the original battery. It didnt get used for a week and just stood out in the cold, yet it burst into life like a puppy. I wonder how many FL2's will still have their original batteries when they are anything like that age.

Post #53721 3rd Jan 2010 10:55 pm
geoffk

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

I have had mine stand at manchester airport for a month in the winter and it started first time.....i was expecting it to be flat..

Post #53775 4th Jan 2010 1:34 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

It sounds like forum members are a bit paranoid about leaving their Freely parked any longer than several days Shocked . I don’t believe Land Rovers are any different to other makes and that you should be able to leave it parked for any length of time. Having said that, I seem to remember reading somewhere about taking some precautions when leaving it unattended for several months (or was that on my BMW Question ).

Normally you should be able to leave it parked for 3-4 weeks without expecting start difficulties. If you do experience problems then there is an error that need fixing i.e. new battery is needed. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #53783 4th Jan 2010 2:18 pm
EdSnow

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Are any of these flat batteries linked to the Q060 buletin? Its to do with battery failing and linked to alarm and auto lights. Went to the dealer yesterday and they look to be checking all fl2's that come in. Can someone axcess the Buletins an post a copy? To see what it says? Freelander 2 XS 2.2 TD4 Met Black, with Winter pack, 18" alloys with General Grabber AT2 wellies, MANTEC Sump and Tank Guards

Post #53877 5th Jan 2010 10:09 am
PJW

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

I have just experienced the dreaded flat battery after standing for four days in temperatures of -7.

Measured the battery voltage and it was down to 8v. Recharged battery and took Fl2 into dealer who could not find any fault or excessve drain on the battery.

Doing a few tests myself, Does any body know what the charging voltage should be when engine running?

Also is there a shunt on top of the battery connection so i can measure the current drain?

Thanks Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto with Winter Pack, Stornaway Grey, Ebony, Grey Mirror Caps. Removable towbar with 13 pin Electrics

Post #54655 11th Jan 2010 12:19 am
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Normal voltage across battery when engine running 1500rpm should be 13.8v and should not drop below 13.0 when lights etc on. If HSE with all goodies on it will be less but should never drop below 12v.
Auto electricians (most) will have a meter which clamps round battery cables without disconnecting any wiring or cables, this measures any current draw from battery. It will show a very slight draw for clocks radio etc. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #54657 11th Jan 2010 12:30 am
PJW

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Thanks DRUAND Shoved test meter into cigar lighter and the voltage reads 14.5v Fairly constantly even when driving the vehicle.

Seems to be charging ok. wondered if any body else had measured the voltage and or battery drain current.

Thanks Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto with Winter Pack, Stornaway Grey, Ebony, Grey Mirror Caps. Removable towbar with 13 pin Electrics

Post #54663 11th Jan 2010 12:58 am
adover

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

If my experience is anything to go by I suggest you get used to it. I've had 4 unexplained flat battery instances (one 2 days after driving 300 miles). On this occassion LR Assistance tested the battery (which showed as 'Replace battery'), jump started it and it became 'battery good, recharge'. I took the car to the dealers who told me it was draining outside the accepted range when in shutdown (after 20 mins). They subsequently had the car for 5 days (in which time they fixed the leaking central brake light, replaced the B post trims (a design fault), refitted the scuttle panel (clearly coming away from the windscreen) but failed to find the cause of the battery issue (which evidently had fixed itself (!)), the failing when wet reversing sensors or the annoying squeak). 5 days after the return of the car (driving close to the dealers as it happened) 'transmission fault, reduced power' displayed, back to the dealer...

As the vehicle is 3 years old in March (and therefore out of warranty) I've had no option but to replace it - needless to say, not with a Land Rover (after 22 years of previous Land Rover ownership).

Sorry for my rambling, I'm afraid this is another once good brand destroyed in my eyes by poor performance at all levels... Andrew

Post #57073 27th Jan 2010 6:41 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Flat battery fairey has got me. Evil or Very Mad
Drove 300 miles to Kent on Wednesday, drove 30 miles round trip to work on Thursday, flat battery Friday morning.
Check battery Voltage - 11.2V ignition off, 10.9V ignition only, down to 10.2V trying to start - not cranking as relays kept dropping out.
Landrover assist couldn't attend for 4+ hours, AA would be there within the hour, pestered someone in the car park - started in 10 mins.

Could it be the radio/bluetooth?
Was taking to SWMBO on the phone as I pulled into the hotel car park, after a couple of minutes I turned off the lights (Normally left on auto), 15 mins or so later turned off the engine, 10 mins after this we had finished and SWMBO ended the call, as I was getting out with key in hand I noticed the phone was still connected to the bluetooth, and cancelled it on the phone. Double locked the car went to bar, then bed. Next morning when I put the fob in, ignition but no radio. Confused

Normally the radio turns off after half an hour or so with the key removed from the ignition - would this be overridden by the bluetooth if it is searching for a connection? Will the radio/bluetooth if left on for 12 hours flatten the battery?
Should I have cancelled the call on the steering wheel switch?

Just Food for thought. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #57651 31st Jan 2010 8:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>