Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Would you have bought a FL2 if you had a crystal ball ?
Would you have bought a FL2 if you had a crystal ball ?
YES, id gladly buy another.
89%
 89%  [58]
NO, too many headaches
0%
 0%  [0]
MAYBE ? Ive had problems, but its been worth it.
10%
 10%  [7]
Total Votes: 65

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
On-board

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

AD210358: Yes I tried them all and a honda crv, nissan x-trail, vauxhall antara and cant agree more the FL2 without a doubt was streaks ahead.

DRUAND: I was lead to believe jap takes the lead for reliability so ur post throws that ! Perhaps it was the Toyota gararage that told me Question Rolling with laughter

CARAVAN GEORGE: Seems you have the same scenario as myself. The 0% thing was only as a partial amount and at a very short term - I looked into that. But im now thinking that apart from these niggles I had with the parking sensors (which after a year and a half finished with a new radio) and this boot catch failure it really is a perfectly low mileage car. Somebody would get a proper bargain there. So I think if it does play up after 3 years perhaps ex/warranty is the way forward for me.

MVS: Engine power wise I think they have spot on for maxium fuel economy -any more and them ponies will just need feeding. But then if ur towing all day long I can see ur point however there is always the discovery3.

Post #53454 2nd Jan 2010 10:56 am
MVS

"MVS: Engine power wise I think they have spot on for maxium fuel economy -any more and them ponies will just need feeding. But then if ur towing all day long I can see ur point however there is always the discovery3."

More bhp/torque does not necessarily = less mpg.

It can actually mean more. Ask anyone who has tuned one, you work the motor less hard as it's a heavy car.

P.S. Wouldn't have a D3 RRS or FFRR for all the tea in China as hate the air suspension systems with a vengance Whistle

Post #53455 2nd Jan 2010 11:15 am
On-board

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

More bhp/torque does not necessarily = less mpg.

It can actually mean more. Ask anyone who has tuned one, you work the motor less hard as it's a heavy car.

P.S. Wouldn't have a D3 RRS or FFRR for all the tea in China as hate the air suspension systems with a vengance Whistle[/quote]

Yes and no. An engine pulling hard all day long will use more diesel yes however an engine pulling nicely (which in my situation I find it does) will certainly use less. 160bhp in a fl2 is a fair ol lump.
Havent said all this im surprised a big diesel engine isnt offered in the line up for the people that do want more. I suppose its all about co2 now . Yawn

Post #53456 2nd Jan 2010 11:44 am
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Fitting a bigger engine in an FL2 means meatier transmission also, since the current ones are only just on top of the 160bhp available. All that would increase the price to a point where it encroaches into low end D4 territory so that won't happen.

Back on topic - I've had a few niggles, particularly parking sensors, and I've spent more time than I'd have liked travelling to/from the dealers, but the fact is the alternatives to an FL2 aren't very attractive. I'm considering a trade to a newer FL2 now I have no warranty.... not sure what to do just yet.

Post #53463 2nd Jan 2010 12:37 pm
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

I didn't have any problems so far after 41000 km and 1,5 years.
Except park sensors when there's a lot of rain, but the other day it's ok! So no big issue!

The engine is great, I don't want another!
I would buy it again! Freelander 2 SE 4Td Izmir Blue, Dog cage for Alaskan Malamute, iphone Navigon Navigator

Post #53465 2nd Jan 2010 12:52 pm
MVS

AndyT wrote:
Fitting a bigger engine in an FL2 means meatier transmission also, since the current ones are only just on top of the 160bhp available. All that would increase the price to a point where it encroaches into low end D4 territory so that won't happen..

But that's the point a 'FL2 XL' would fit in the range as the D4 has been pushed up in price further.

There was talk of a 7 seat Fl2 anyway which was halted to concentrate on the smaller LRX, and a 7 seater FL2 would be possibly more environmentally friendly than a D4.

As for the transmission I'm sure there is a large margin for safety and extra power torque, there always is even if it means a few HD parts.

As for straying off topic I think this isn't. It will be a Def 110 CSW otherwise next time

Post #53466 2nd Jan 2010 1:00 pm
AndyT

Landrover's focus is on things like the Range Rover Compact (LRX) and lighter, more efficient models. A 7 seat fatter FL2 wouldn't be in line with their CO2 reduction path and would only compete with existing models in the range. If you want a bigger engine and more seats they offer a D4.

The kind of announcements you can expect from Landrover in coming years will be related to light weight design and hybrid technologies - trust me!

Post #53478 2nd Jan 2010 1:35 pm
MVS

AndyT wrote:
Landrover's focus is on things like the Range Rover Compact (LRX) and lighter, more efficient models. A 7 seat fatter FL2 wouldn't be in line with their CO2 reduction path and would only compete with existing models in the range. If you want a bigger engine and more seats they offer a D4.

The kind of announcements you can expect from Landrover in coming years will be related to light weight design and hybrid technologies - trust me!

I take it you have inside knowledge you are not telling us Bow down

Post #53482 2nd Jan 2010 1:44 pm
AndyT

Wink

Post #53483 2nd Jan 2010 1:49 pm
AndyT

...there's probably no mainstream car company on the planet that isn't looking at reducing CO2 figures and maximising efficiency, mainly because they have to. There are emissions targets and limits being imposed left, right and centre, and any company's market share can only drop if they can't compete. There are a few ways of achieving these goals and no golden goose, so reducing weight and using cleaner power is imperative - whichever company it is.

I'm pretty giddy about what Landrover will release in the future - the Range Rover Compact is going to fly out of show rooms (not literally, they're not that innovative!). It's such a desirable product, I just hope I can afford one when they launch.

Post #53485 2nd Jan 2010 2:02 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Didn't one of the LR bigwigs say that he was looking forward to drive a Hybrid LR this year during a autocar interview

nothing wrong with hybrids apart from they will have to be still able off road keeping with all current LR s d if u could tax my car for £105 like my dads RX450h I'll be happy Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #53492 2nd Jan 2010 3:22 pm
AndyT

They've probably mentioned that they're doing research to the press. Give it 5 years and every manufacturer will be offering hybrid vehicles of one type or other.
A friend of mine has a Lexus 4WD hybrid. He was recently disappointed with the snow mode. I'm sure we can expect Landrover to release a vehicle just as capable as ever but with reduced CO2 using hybrid technologies.

Post #53510 2nd Jan 2010 5:24 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

If I had a crystal ball yes I would still have bought my FL but I would have had a sulky 3 year old child standing by for the times I have had to deal with the FL dealer.

Communication on their level and all that Whistle

Motor's fine it's the way the problems I have had have been dealt with that would prob put me off in the future.

Post #53514 2nd Jan 2010 5:28 pm
j77

Scotland 

100% would buy another. My local stratstone dealer also give 100% sales and aftersales service.

Post #53573 2nd Jan 2010 8:43 pm
Huang

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

The only issue I've had so far (fingers corssed) is the front power socket don't work.

If I had a second chance I would still go for the FL2. Though the Q5 does look quite nice.

Post #53741 4th Jan 2010 8:09 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>