Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Snow - how you coping?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
lar

Russia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

mcphersonstrut wrote:
Firstly I apologise to AndyC, Viking et al.... but it's quite a novelty for us Thumbs Up

Good looks! 
Freelander II 2,2 TD SE Stornoway Grey

Sorry for my wry English. I began to study it recently.
I'll be thankful for your corrections of my mistakes

Post #52671 22nd Dec 2009 7:37 pm
athelstan

lar wrote:
athelstan wrote:
Siberia

We have wildernesses not only in Siberia. There are in 20 min from the city.
But sometime in the city itself

Lar
Indeed ,but I only used Siberia as a reference point.

The geographically challenged British (not as bad as the globally inept Americans) have generally very little recognition of other Russian (or even Soviet) regional names.

Post #52672 22nd Dec 2009 7:38 pm
lar

And how are this in your opinion?

Click image to enlarge

Post #52678 22nd Dec 2009 7:48 pm
athelstan

[An unnecessary abomination - disgraceful behaviour

Post #52680 22nd Dec 2009 7:56 pm
lar

athelstan wrote:
[An unnecessary abomination - disgraceful behaviour

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
roger! 

Post #52684 22nd Dec 2009 8:03 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i have seen a Defender converted like that, at a garage up in scotland (near Killen)

If needs must i suppose it ok, but for the school run i thinks its a little too much Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #52687 22nd Dec 2009 8:33 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

athelstan wrote:

The geographically challenged British (not as bad as the globally inept Americans) have generally very little recognition of other Russian (or even Soviet) regional names.

Rolling Eyes just because you live on the Equator doesn't mean you know everything . go bother your Japanese neighbours Evil or Very Mad At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #52693 22nd Dec 2009 8:55 pm
athelstan

chicken george wrote:

Rolling Eyes just because you live on the Equator doesn't mean you know everything . go bother your Japanese neighbours Evil or Very Mad

Quite Yawn

Post #52697 22nd Dec 2009 9:16 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Rolling Eyes Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #52701 22nd Dec 2009 9:53 pm
landy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hello, I am new to the forum. Only had the FL 2 since September.

I went for a little drive yesterday (playing in the car), down a few local country lanes. Around here we have had about 3-4 inches of snow but with -4 degrees it had quickly turned to compacted ice.

Anyway, turned off onto this particular lane which I knew to have a few gradients and sharp 90 degree bends on it. I went round one of the bends, to be confronted by an Audi Q7 at the bend at the bottom of a gradient. The Audi driver must have bottled it, because he started to reverse back up hill and into the only house drive on the lane.

Bearing in mind the lane was only wide enough for one car with steep banks, he's at the bottom and I'm the middle of the grade, and it's bloody slippy - I'm thinking this is where I (nervously) find out if I've spent wisely. Put the car in reverse and expected a lot of wheel slip, so no gas, just clutch. No stall just went back up, some 30 yards back up the hill and into the entrance of the farmers field. No problem whatsoever and in fact, a bit under whelming. Then waited patiently for the Audi to ascend. To my surprise, it was like watching Bambi (albeit a bit larger) on ice, lots of wheel slip and clearly struggling to get past the point which I had reversed from. Eventually, the Audi passed me.

I then went down the hill, complete with sharp bends and very long long skid marks (on the road), with relative ease. Turn round the blind bend, where the Audi pulled out, to find a much steeper descent of pure ice - oh !**!. With hdc on, I descended to the bottom and another blind bend, a lot of break juddering but completely under control to the bottom and around the bend without a hint of skid.

To cut this long, and probably boring story short - the car is brilliant in these conditions. It's only until you see other vehicles struggling with the snow and ice, you appreciate how composed the car (and driver) is!!

PS I think the wife is onto my antics of making utterly bogus journeys whilst everyone else is not moving beyond their front door!

Best wishes to All!

Post #52707 22nd Dec 2009 10:24 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Welcome

TBH you sound very lucky, going down icy roads in a 4x4 doesn't mean you be safe, they can still slip away

From what you describe i wouldn't have bothered on normal tyres, and then only maybe on winter tyres

Main thing is though, you made the choice and the the car delivered Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #52709 22nd Dec 2009 10:39 pm
landy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

npinks,

You are quite - driving on compacted snow / ice ain't clever. It's out my system now - now that I know how the vehicle reacts.

Post #52716 23rd Dec 2009 12:44 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

philsh wrote:
AndyC wrote:
Oh Shocked you get used to it when 5 months of the year is winter Evil or Very Mad - but I bet you wouldnt swap with me would you Question

I'm jealous of you Andy. The winters down here are absolutely s Censored t. Rain, rain, rain and loads of wind Big Cry . We get half an inch of snow and the entire road network and public transport grinds to a halt. I, for one, love the snow and can't get enough of it. Looks like I need to move to Scandanavia Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Well it seems most of you have more snow in the UK than we have along the coastline south of Oslo at the moment, but there is plenty inland and further north and in fact more than enough in southernmost and west Norway right now. We have had temperatures between -5 and -14 locally so no big deal for a FL2 Thumbs Up but temperatures inland and a bit further North have been down to -40 (mainly -15 to -25 which is cold enough). Several weeks ago at our mountain cabin the snow was 50-60 cm (20”-24”) deep, but it has snowed considerably there since then. However, traditionally, the heaviest snowfall and the coldest temperatures we get from January, so heaven help us what we may get in the new year in these times of Global Warming. Laughing

On mountain roads between Oslo and western can be a dreadful experience if you get caught – always recommended to have sleeping bags, food and warm clothing etc. in the car, because our snow clearers can’t always cope with the heavy snowfall and people have been stuck in their cars or even on a train overnight Shocked

Pilsh:
So, if you really like snow, yes visit a snow country in winter, but also consider the cold temperatures and dark days with little daylight during the worst 3-months. During the later part of winter in Norway is often very nice with warm sunny days with longer daylight, blue sky, several minus degrees and stable snow cover – ideal for the skiing and LR driving in the mountain roads that are open. When I moved from Bedfordshire to Norway, I also loved snow and winter and skiing (at first), but unless you are born here, I would say it is difficult to love snow (winter, low temperatures etc) forever, as you never really get used to the negative sides to it. Wink 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #52719 23rd Dec 2009 8:11 am
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

AndyC wrote:

On mountain roads between Oslo and western can be a dreadful experience if you get caught – always recommended to have sleeping bags, food and warm clothing etc. in the car, because our snow clearers can’t always cope with the heavy snowfall and people have been stuck in their cars or even on a train overnight Shocked

We get people stuck overnight in their cars, but this is due to accidents and traffic etc. Still have no idea how it happens, and how the police etc. can't get everyone off the roads, but that Britain for you, madness Rolling Eyes

Post #52727 23rd Dec 2009 10:40 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

rmbillington wrote:
AndyC wrote:

We get people stuck overnight in their cars, but this is due to accidents and traffic etc. Still have no idea how it happens, and how the police etc. can't get everyone off the roads, but that Britain for you, madness Rolling Eyes

But not buried in snow and in minus 20C I hope Whistle 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #52729 23rd Dec 2009 11:37 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>