Home > General > MPG
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:

like Avturs 40+mpg means nothing to me as I don't live on the motorway etc

I live in a nice suburb of South Manchester .... what do you mean ....

Joking apart, I have to accept that the miles I cover in my car, be it Mazda, Land Rover or Volvo are predominantly 'cruising' miles, not necessarily all motorway but certainly my business miles are all covered on trips of over 100 miles. In fact now I think about it my average journey length is certainly the top side of 150 miles. I'm not a prolific lane three 90 mph+ driver, for peace of mind I do tend to stay legal.

What I have noticed with my last four cars is that with my style of driving and type of journeys my overall fuel consumption comes very close to the official government 'combined' figure, which is great for me. However I'd be the first to admit that my figures are likely to be as good as anyone is likely to get, and that an auto FL2 driven predominantly around town (or with an NP style level of enthusiasm!) is going to fall somewhat short of these figures. Another thing is that to get any degree of accuracy figures need to be collected over a period of time, snapshots of the odd 100-200 miles here and there are probably not truly representative. I'll stand by my figures because they are collected over significant mileages but I know that from tank to tank there can be variations.

Bottom line is that anyone buying an FL2 is probably not buying it to set economy records ...

Fill it and drive is probably the best way to be!!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #51290 30th Nov 2009 10:35 pm
The Doc

United Kingdom 

27.7mpg with an auto 90% urban

Post #51291 30th Nov 2009 10:39 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Between my Manual and Auto there is about 100miles difference between fill ups

But even driving at a steady 70-75mph to burton on trent last weekend only got 30mpg

Maybe its time to look at mpg increase options Wink Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #51292 30th Nov 2009 10:51 pm
Boolia

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

or lobby the government to reduce the price of diesel so MPG is less of an issue!! I'm sure my FL2 did more than 30 MPG though...

Post #51293 30th Nov 2009 10:58 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

to fact its only doing 30Mpg doesn't bother me as i claim for my fuel from the company, but then the fact when i do drive it sensibly it doesn't respond, but then the adaptive gear box will have learned my driving style etc Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #51294 30th Nov 2009 11:04 pm
Boolia

npinks wrote:
to fact its only doing 30Mpg doesn't bother me as i claim for my fuel from the company, but then the fact when i do drive it sensibly it doesn't respond, but then the adaptive gear box will have learned my driving style etc

beautiful motor though and stunning in white!

Post #51295 30th Nov 2009 11:08 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:

Maybe its time to look at mpg increase options Wink

Yeah right Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #51296 30th Nov 2009 11:11 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Boolia wrote:

beautiful motor though and stunning in white!

cheers Very Happy Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #51297 30th Nov 2009 11:13 pm
christian138

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

npinks wrote:

Maybe its time to look at mpg increase options Wink

What get the wife to drive? 

Post #51298 30th Nov 2009 11:22 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

She doesn't drive auto's when she tried she was shifting the left foot onto the brake like it was a foot possessed Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #51299 30th Nov 2009 11:25 pm
Boolia

npinks wrote:
She doesn't drive auto's when she tried she was shifting the left foot onto the brake like it was a foot possessed Laughing

brillant!! Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Post #51300 30th Nov 2009 11:26 pm
greengiant

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Just done Boulogne and back mainly motorway, 4 up and not hanging around and computer says 32.2mpg.
That is in an auto HSE. 09 FL2 HSE auto Lago Grey
71 Triumph Stag 3L
68 NGTCV8 3.5L

Post #51302 1st Dec 2009 1:01 am
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Trip computers are not really a true average and should be viewed as just a guide.
The best way is to full up, zero the mileage and then in our case 300 miles later fill back up again.
Change how many litres you have put in to gallons (divide by 4.55) and then divide the mileage you've done with the gallons used. So in our recent case 61.31 litres = 13.47 gallons, doing 312 miles = 23.16 mpg (all short urban trips, wife using it midweek, me at the weekend or occasionally long haul with 1500kg of white box on the back). I think it's the midweek trips that are drinking it Rolling with laughter

Post #51313 1st Dec 2009 11:40 am
wdw

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

mcphersonstrut wrote:
Change how many litres you have put in to gallons (divide by 4.55) and then divide the mileage you've done with the gallons used.

I'm very much in favour of keeping the brain alive by doing a bit or arithmetic from time to time, but for mpg I use http://www.mpg-calculator.co.uk/

Bill

Post #51353 2nd Dec 2009 2:05 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

mcphersonstrut wrote:
Trip computers are not really a true average and should be viewed as just a guide.
The best way is to full up, zero the mileage and then in our case 300 miles later fill back up again.
Change how many litres you have put in to gallons (divide by 4.55) and then divide the mileage you've done with the gallons used. So in our recent case 61.31 litres = 13.47 gallons, doing 312 miles = 23.16 mpg (all short urban trips, wife using it midweek, me at the weekend or occasionally long haul with 1500kg of white box on the back). I think it's the midweek trips that are drinking it Rolling with laughter

Several times I have checked the FL2 computer reading against the manual method/web based calculator and also using different driving conditions, but the results are always (almost) the same Very Happy No big variations that would warrant not relying on the computer reading Thumbs Up

Has anybody else had a similar experience Question If the results you are getting are vastly different it may be interesting to hear your results. The bottom line must be if or not to rely on the computer reading Question 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #51356 2nd Dec 2009 7:59 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>