Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > HST Bodykit.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Necessary quote added

personally it a little narrow minded to say that your in the wrong car because you don't use it off road
Correction - What I said was, if your not going to use your Land Rover off the asphalt - (meaning only on asphalt) which is quite different to off roading and getting it dirty Whistle

I guess I should sell mine as I now have no intention of taking it off road
Please yourself, I just wrote my personal opinion as everybody else seems to do on here, but boy what a waste of a good 4x4 if it does not even get a sniff of gravel or a little mud occasionaly Laughing 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #50368 16th Nov 2009 8:09 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #50383 17th Nov 2009 12:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

iain cooper wrote:
keep your £1000, in my opinion your wasting your money and adding no value to your car.

Who is on about adding value to a car? Nothing you do to a call will actually increase it's value, some addtions will make it more desirable to a buyer maybe.

I am not doing it to increase it's value. Just because I enjoy this sort of thing.

tenet wrote:
iain cooper wrote:
keep your £1000, in my opinion your wasting your money and adding no value to your car.

What is a waste of money for some is money well spent for others.

Go get it MAV71 IF you can afford it.

Tenet

Thanks Tenet! I can Thumbs Up

zone30 wrote:
I find it very strange when people compomise the offroad capabilities of a car they spend lots of money on to get when their primary reason to buy it was probably it's offroad capabilities compared to others.

If that isn't the primary reason, you probably bought the wrong car, I think...

I've seen 3th party kits that don't compromise it as much, maybe you should look into that.

hmmm...

How many FL2 owners actually go off road. If fact how amny midsized SUV owners take their cars off road. Probably a very very small amount. But you are in no position to say that Maybe I have bought the wrong car, just because I may not take it off road.

npinks wrote:
not all people off road there FL2, so putting a bodykit on it doesn't matter

I offroaded a little with my last one, but with my newer one I have decided to not at this moment and when i have the time i want to get the bodywork as perfect as possible

I just need 2 or 3 days of fine weather to be able to do it Evil or Very Mad as i aint got anywere under cover to do it Big Cry

Thanks Nick, well said. Adding the bodykit will not effect the versatility of my car 1% based on what I use it for. Thumbs Up

iain cooper wrote:
zone30 wrote:
I find it very strange when people compomise the offroad capabilities of a car they spend lots of money on to get when their primary reason to buy it was probably it's offroad capabilities compared to others.

If that isn't the primary reason, you probably bought the wrong car, I think...

I've seen 3th party kits that don't compromise it as much, maybe you should look into that.

hmmm...

it's just that I've always seen bodykits fitted to Landrovers as very naff and needless.

in my opinion they don't need bodykits to make them look good and in most cases a bodykit says
more about the owner than the car...........if you get my meaning.

Soooo, what are you saying about me then?

Don't get me wrong, I have not taken offence to what you have said, but it is a very broad statement. I run a Vauxhall Signum on a day to day basis, and I have probably spent over £5000 on it to get it how I want it. But those with an un trained eye would not notice anything, but those who have a trained eye will see and appreciate it for what it is. But that does'nt mean I fall into the catagory your suggesting. Wink

AndyC wrote:
Unnecessary quote removed

Agree 100% Thumbs Up
In fact I would even go a stage further and say that if your not going to use your Land Rover off the asphalt, even a little, then you really do have the wrong vehicle. There is plenty of alternative "cross overs" or whatever they call them, that can be tarted up as much as you want if all you want to do is parade around in your car on asphalt like a poppy cock Shocked

The FL2 with all its technical OFF ROAD wizardry is there for people that want to use it, otherwise what on earth would anybody want to use so much cash on a 4x4 without ever realizing what they got Question

I ask you this question, I don't like cross overs which are jacked up estate cars. They seem totally pointless to me, but you don't know my personal circumstances. Yes I know the FL2 is amazing off road, but it is the best car for what we need. I bought the Freelander 2 HSE as I could afford the to buy the best in class, simple as that, but I am sure the marketing guys at Land Rover do not put these things as options if they looked crap.

When ever I modify or enhance my cars, very rarley do I use anything but manufaturers parts.

npinks wrote:
People opt for a 4x4 because they want one, that doesn't mean to say they want to get it muddy on a dirt track

I went 4x4 to give the added room, towing capacity and I went FL2 because I can afford too as others don't match to how it drives

personally it a little narrow minded to say that your in the wrong car because you don't use it off road

I guess I should sell mine as I now have no intention of taking it off road Rolling Eyes

Nick for President!!!!! You are absolutly right.

chicken george wrote:
Atleast the fl2's kit is better than the god awful one fitted to fl1's.
I personally wouldn't spend £1000 on a kit even if I did like it. maybe I'd spent 1000 on the interior ( leather etc ) but not on a plastic stick on accessory.

Thats a fair point CG. If mine had not got leather, then I would have had the leather added, My last 7 every day cars for work have had leather re-trims and pretty much got most of the money back when selling it as it was more desirable.

At least the addition of the kt is totally reversable.

AndyC wrote:
Necessary quote added

Correction - What I said was, if your not going to use your Land Rover off the asphalt - (meaning only on asphalt) which is quite different to off roading and getting it dirty Whistle

I guess I should sell mine as I now have no intention of taking it off road
Please yourself, I just wrote my personal opinion as everybody else seems to do on here, but boy what a waste of a good 4x4 if it does not even get a sniff of gravel or a little mud occasionaly Laughing

But if I take it off road, it gets dirty, and thats totally against my belief's. It sends a shiver down my spine to even think about getting mud on it. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #50402 17th Nov 2009 11:16 am
Mav71

Thanks for the comments guys, good and bad. It is good to see a debate going on with peoples thoughts.

But most of you are wrong and I am right. Very Happy Thumbs Up

(My god I sound like CG! Shocked ) Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #50403 17th Nov 2009 11:19 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

So leather holds its value, but body kits dont. (what about spending your cash on a leather body kit, preferably with someone tasty inside Twisted Evil )

my recommendations Thumbs Up

or buy a load of plastic LR parts instead, you decide Laughing

Click image to enlarge

At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #50407 17th Nov 2009 11:32 am
Mav71

Yep, body kit is out, I need to get that cat woman to go with my Batman outfit! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #50410 17th Nov 2009 12:04 pm
AndyC

Mav71 wrote:
Yep, body kit is out, I need to get that cat woman to go with my Batman outfit!

Then you would have to get it dirty a little Shocked as I can tell she likes it off road Whistle 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #50412 17th Nov 2009 1:25 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

My son plays football and occasionally I have to park my car on very slippery, muddy, used to be grassfields.
With my former car I had some close calls concerning getting stuck on it.

You may have noticed in my gallery I like some bling too and at one point I was also considering the body kit. As for the reasons described earlier I descided against it and I'm glad I did.

The only regret I have is that I didn't get the auto gearbox and chose the manual instead, presured by my wife. Though logical for offroading the first gear is too short for day to day driving which having an auto would have solved.

Today I had some winter tyres fitted so I hope to not experience any close calls this year, in fact I hope to laugh my head off.

And for those wondering, I don't take it offroading but do take it of the road once an a while.

Post #50414 17th Nov 2009 1:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chicken george

If the truth is known the fl2 is a car not an off-road machine , so I dont care what people do with theirs, go off road and the car gets mucky that is a pain in the arse no mistake, you wouldnt buy new shoes then go fell walking so why should people use there fl2's off road.
I mainly have an fl2 for the convenience of its interior size. its a great height for using the baby seat etc etc. but as a side benefit its good on my farm lane which while tarmaced is a steep hill so quite treacherous in winter ( I have to buy and spread rock salt to allow cars and trucks to use the lane in winter).

I have off-roaded it a few times but mostly it doesnt go anywhere a normal car couldnt. I have to say 4x4 is handy when you find a car park is full as you can normally find a grassed area to dump the car..
Many of you will stuggle to find a place to offroad anyway I guess ,as its irresponsible to leave great skid marks across non paved areas.
I mow the verges around my farm entrance to keep things tidy and its very annoying when idiots drive on theses areas and ruin them Evil or Very Mad .. mainly delivery drivers stopping to read a map or have a brew, or tourists stopping for a quaint picnic as cars drive past blowing exhaust fumes at them Rolling Eyes . Sometimes they get stuck and wander into the farmyard to ask for a tractor tow, I make then call a recovery firm Laughing ... and yes some vaners did once set up camp there too, but I wont mention that. Sheep At work
At home

Post #50418 17th Nov 2009 2:02 pm
AndyC

I mow the verges around my farm entrance to keep things tidy and its very annoying when idiots drive on theses areas and ruin them .. mainly delivery drivers stopping to read a map or have a brew, or tourists stopping for a quaint picnic as cars drive past blowing exhaust fumes at them . Sometimes they get stuck and wander into the farmyard to ask for a tractor tow, I make then call a recovery firm

Could be forum members trying to find some were to off road in UK's small and crowded “urban” countryside Laughing

Thank goodness there places in the world where a 4x4 comes into its own and am glad that we live in a country where it is almost necessary to own one. At least in the winter snow and ice and in the mountains all year, it does its job better than any normal 2 wheel drive vehicle. Do agree with CG again Shocked that the FL2 is not a real off road machine, but without buying a Defender what is Question

However without sounding sarcastic again Shocked I really do not see the point of using it “only” on asphalt or “purely” in an urban environment. If you have Terrain Response on yours, what on earth do you use it for and how many times do you “need” to use a car with 4-wheel drive? How many times have you had to use HDC (I mean had to use it) Question I bet some owners have never even had “real” benefit from Traction Control or maybe some FL2 owners have never even had the benefit from ABS.

Although not a fanatical off-roader and my FL2 is almost always clean, but by no means a fanatical car washer. I also think that practical customising is a must on most vehicles but hate pointless tarting up with useless and expensive accessories Whistle 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #50420 17th Nov 2009 3:30 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I use my TR system every single day in Normal Mode Smile

Snow/Grass/Gravel mode in torrential rain or slippy conditions Smile

Sand Mode on Scarborough prominade due to those kids with the unemptied buckets and spades Laughing

and mud ruts if i get stuck on a field whilst towing the caravan off, though i sometimes use SGG if i am on a hard gravel covered pitch Whistle

So it has its uses in everyday situations

and i will HDC on Hard Knot Pass next year on my jollys Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #50426 17th Nov 2009 4:52 pm
Mav71

AndyC wrote:
[color=red]I

but hate pointless tarting up with useless and expensive accessories Whistle

They are only expensive if you can't afford them. But it's each to there own. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #50427 17th Nov 2009 5:51 pm
ad210358

England 

chicken george wrote:
If the truth is known the fl2 is a car not an off-road machine , so I dont care what people do with theirs, go off road and the car gets mucky that is a pain in the arse no mistake, you wouldnt buy new shoes then go fell walking so why should people use there fl2's off road.
I mainly have an fl2 for the convenience of its interior size. its a great height for using the baby seat etc etc. but as a side benefit its good on my farm lane which while tarmaced is a steep hill so quite treacherous in winter ( I have to buy and spread rock salt to allow cars and trucks to use the lane in winter).

I have off-roaded it a few times but mostly it doesnt go anywhere a normal car couldnt. I have to say 4x4 is handy when you find a car park is full as you can normally find a grassed area to dump the car..
Many of you will stuggle to find a place to offroad anyway I guess ,as its irresponsible to leave great skid marks across non paved areas.
I mow the verges around my farm entrance to keep things tidy and its very annoying when idiots drive on theses areas and ruin them Evil or Very Mad .. mainly delivery drivers stopping to read a map or have a brew, or tourists stopping for a quaint picnic as cars drive past blowing exhaust fumes at them Rolling Eyes . Sometimes they get stuck and wander into the farmyard to ask for a tractor tow, I make then call a recovery firm Laughing ... and yes some vaners did once set up camp there too, but I wont mention that. Sheep

There seems to be a little hint of Double standards here Caravan George, You admit to driving on someones grass when your out but then not so happy when its done to you. Whistle Do as you wish to be done by is a phrase that comes to mind. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #50428 17th Nov 2009 5:56 pm
chicken george

Double standards Thumbs Up of course I'm a LR owner what else do you expect Whistle

Im actually meaning I will park off road on rough grass when ground conditions allow without causing damage, these idiots park on my carefully mowed grassed areas in all weathers and make a right mess. At work
At home

Post #50430 17th Nov 2009 6:34 pm
AndyC

Mav71 wrote:
They are only expensive if you can't afford them. But it's each to there own.

I agree with you, but there is also a difference between not affording them and not wanting them.
I would imagine anybody that can afford a FL2 HSE can afford any extras he wants, so "extras" being too expensive is a hypothetical question Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #50432 17th Nov 2009 6:53 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>