« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Expensive Mistake
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ad210358

England 
Expensive Mistake

I have just seen this on tatbay eBay Item No. 220504447609 I hope it was no one on here, easily done I suppose though never done it myself yet (Touch Wood).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FREELANDER-2-ENGINE-...335716da79 p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #49942 7th Nov 2009 9:52 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I thought petrol damaged the seals etc so I wouldn't risk buying anything like that off eBay Shocked Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #49943 7th Nov 2009 10:01 pm
ad210358

England 

Buying has not even entered my head, just pointing out that the misfilling has cost £4500 to put right, ouch. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #49945 7th Nov 2009 10:11 pm
ttc546

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Fek me! £4500!! Thud

Now is it the black hose or the green hose at the pump ... errmmm let me think Rolling Eyes Chris

Post #49951 8th Nov 2009 8:56 am
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

ad210358 wrote:
Buying has not even entered my head, just pointing out that the misfilling has cost £4500 to put right, ouch.

Whoever the guy is he was ripped off by the stealer (looks as if he/she is in Sheffield) as forum members may remember that I did a similar thing earlier this year (details on the forum somewhere but not good at computer technical bits and cannot find it) and Conwy LandRover also insisted in replacing the fuel system but they only charged £2377.00 and LandRover Insurance covered the cost and even provided a loan car.

Bill Turner. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #49966 8th Nov 2009 5:19 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Bill Turner wrote:
ad210358 wrote:
Buying has not even entered my head, just pointing out that the misfilling has cost £4500 to put right, ouch.

Whoever the guy is he was ripped off by the stealer (looks as if he/she is in Sheffield) as forum members may remember that I did a similar thing earlier this year (details on the forum somewhere but not good at computer technical bits and cannot find it) and Conwy LandRover also insisted in replacing the fuel system but they only charged £2377.00 and LandRover Insurance covered the cost and even provided a loan car.

Bill Turner.

Why was he ripped off? The fuel pump alone is £2400! and an absolute bitch to replace. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #49972 8th Nov 2009 7:31 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

...errr HP fuel pump LR006663 is listed at £553.32 inc vat, a mis-fuel on a D3 is about £2500 to sort, FL2 should be a bit more due to access issues but the thick end of £4.5k is a bit OTT

Post #49973 8th Nov 2009 8:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
charliefoxtrot999

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

Don't know about all the issues but I calculated that it is worth paying a few pound more to insure with LR insurance to sort out any possible worst scenerio claims and to keep driving a top class vehicle if you have to claim.Dont ever want to be fobbed off with an astra loan car from angel assist! 2010 HSE Galway Green auto GONE

Post #49976 8th Nov 2009 9:08 pm
Rowy

I once put petrol in a diesel hire car-Vauxhall Zafira-had about 1/4 tank of deisel in when I filled it with unleaded-a few miles down the road started running a bit rough, I kept topping it up with deisel every 50 miles or so and eventually was fine had it for 3 months after that did 6k Miles-no probs.

Twice I've had employees put petrol in Vans (1 Transit & 1 Sprinter) Just had to drop the tanks empty them and fill with deisel then crank the fuel through and get rid of air lock then as good as new.

Post #49994 9th Nov 2009 1:11 am
Bill Turner

10forcash wrote:
...errr HP fuel pump LR006663 is listed at £553.32 inc vat, a mis-fuel on a D3 is about £2500 to sort, FL2 should be a bit more due to access issues but the thick end of £4.5k is a bit OTT

On 4th Jan 2008 I was invoiced 226.55 plus VAT for a pump assembly Part No. LR009296.
An increaese of nearly 150% seems to be very much OTT.

Post #50005 9th Nov 2009 12:35 pm
10forcash

That part number has a current retail inc vat of £411.36 not all pricing is within LR's control, particularly if sourced outside of UK - exchange rate variances apply. Either way, seems like you got a good price - so why the problem? Confused

Post #50013 9th Nov 2009 9:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stormsky

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Rowy wrote:
I once put petrol in a diesel hire car-Vauxhall Zafira-had about 1/4 tank of deisel in when I filled it with unleaded-a few miles down the road started running a bit rough, I kept topping it up with deisel every 50 miles or so and eventually was fine had it for 3 months after that did 6k Miles-no probs.

Twice I've had employees put petrol in Vans (1 Transit & 1 Sprinter) Just had to drop the tanks empty them and fill with deisel then crank the fuel through and get rid of air lock then as good as new.

Spot on, too many people panic and leave themselves open to getting ripped off.

Some years ago I had an apprentice fill a van with petrol, we dropped the tank and drained it, flushed the fuel lines through, new fuel filter, refilled, and bingo. Van ran for several years before being written off in an accident. 58 HSE, auto, lago grey, tints. Mine and my dogs Storm and Sky
TT Quattro, black. Ers.
AC Cobra rep in build. Ars.

Post #50021 9th Nov 2009 10:15 pm
10forcash

Might have been true 'some years ago' the current low emission engines require extremely high fuel pressures... any lack of or reduction in lubrication (provided by the fuel, not the engine oil) can and does cause the vanes of the HP fuel pump to come into contact with the pump body which in turn leaves shards of metal in the HP fuel lines and injectors... the engine may run for a few days, weeks, months or years - but it won't run well sure, if it's a hire car - who cares? unless you're the one that buys it Confused LR, in common with most manufacturers has a robust policy in place to return the engine and fuel system to full functionality - and in most cases, your car insurance will cover the cost of mis-fuelling

Post #50022 9th Nov 2009 11:40 pm
Bill Turner

10forcash wrote:
That part number has a current retail inc vat of £411.36 not all pricing is within LR's control, particularly if sourced outside of UK - exchange rate variances apply. Either way, seems like you got a good price - so why the problem? :?

No problem for me just that the prices seem to have gone through the roof.

On the insurance front When talking to the Claim Handler at Land Rover insurance I said that I was very surprised that the incident was covered to which the Lady replied "Yes it is but please do not be like the person who has claimed THREE times"

As I said earlier in the year I purchased a "Fuel Angel" which will prevent me ever doing it again although I have to say it does slow down refuelling which I suppose can only be expected as it does make the filler smaller.

Post #50028 10th Nov 2009 10:07 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

slows? does the pump keep clicking off? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #50032 10th Nov 2009 12:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>