Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Detachable towball clunk (FIX NOW AVAILIBLE)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
pressureman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Indus Silver

I visited a local Brink dealer, whose MD was extremely helpful and contacted Brink Tech Dept to confirm that swan-neck marked 215 was indeed the upgrade model.
Armed with this, went across the road to LR dealership gave them contact details. The LR area manager was in attendance and took some interest. LR called me back a couple of days later and told me that there was clearly an issue with incorrect upgrades being sent out to dealers by LR central parts distribution and an investigation was being put in place. Correct part was posted directly to workshop manager and was subsequently fitted. Old swan-neck had been left in the boot so thought I had 'dipped in' and could use this as a 'greasy ball' for my GP trailer. On trying, discovered that the 215 fitting to receiver is shaped differently to the older 311 and rattled about more than my gear-stick (should have known you don't get owt for nowt!). It shows that the upgrade is not just a tighter tolerance but a change in design (different chamfer angle above locking pin). How come we never hear about this problem on other vehicle makes that use the Brinkmatic Advance (which is all the system is, really)?[/b]

Post #82330 30th Nov 2010 2:09 pm
pressureman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Indus Silver

Latest on upgrade 215 swan-neck.
LR forgot to leave plastic 'dummy' in car so left swan-neck fitted until next at stealers (50 mile round trip). Later discovered that key would not turn in lock mechanism. No point in having a detachable if it won't, plus I have parking sensors so I don't need the towbar there all the time!! Decided that LR would take forever to replace lock so contacted Thule Customer Service. Andy was excellent and had swan-neck back to me within 3 days of him receiving it - new lock mechanism FOC. Full marks to Thule.

Post #88424 17th Jan 2011 9:01 pm
ad210358

England 

Found the same when dealing with Andy @ Thule, very helpful Thumbs Up p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #88428 17th Jan 2011 9:07 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
well i too have a clonky tow bar !

Thanks for your post's I too have experinced a clonky tow bar since new and fair play to the dealer they did check the tightness of the bar itself but at the time may not been aware of the mods in 2008.
Having read your posts I have just contacted my dealer who supplied me new with car and bar and await there comments.
My swan neck actually rattles up and down in the fitting ! about 2-3 mm ! no wonder it clonks away
I will keep you posted !

Post #98391 11th Apr 2011 1:54 pm
oldgeezer

TOW BAR clonk finally fixed !!!! Very Happy
Mines just had a 2 day pampering at the supplying dealer and this time actually had proper attention and amongst all the details they have replaced my knocking tow bar with a new one and the 215 ball ! and its brill its actually rigid so for the first time in 3 years I should have silent towing.
Thank you to Mcphearson strut Very Happy for the advice and recommendations

Post #104235 3rd Jun 2011 9:16 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Glad it's sorted Thumbs Up

Post #104296 4th Jun 2011 7:54 pm
MikeG

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

I have a clunk from my towbar. My Land Rover dealer denies all knowledge and the LR helpline "have never heard of it". Has anyone out there a reliable reference or contact who can make sense of all this?

Post #111535 30th Aug 2011 10:12 am
oldgeezer

Yep McPherson strut is your man !
Basically if your tow-ball number is anything other than "215 " found on the top of the ball , then the bar is inferior !

My tow bar knocked really badly and you could actually shake the swan neck up and down in the fitting by 4mm !!!
the dealer said there was nothing wrong but finally after 3 years they did fit a new tow bar under warranty and the new one is silent and tight.
To be honest I could believe how much noise I had put up with for three years !

Post #111544 30th Aug 2011 12:23 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

If it's a LR genuine (Which is a Brink) then as OldG has said above, you need the number 215 stamped on the ball.

If it's 311 then it's the old design.

Mike I've sent you a PM.

Post #111555 30th Aug 2011 1:14 pm
snowy22255

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi Mike G

I put my 2010 Freelander into the dealer in July for a number of minor issues including movement in the detachable towbar. I pointed out that I had read on this forum that it was a known fault and that Brinks had issued a replacement assembly. Initially they also advised that they had no knowledge of any such fault and also that LR customer services had never heard of it.
I supplied the number SSM40971 which is somewhere on this forum regarding for a Service bulletin relating to the detachable towbar and although it does not refer specifically to the banging noise issue it was apparently enough of a starting point for my dealer to be able to obtain the replacement assembly under warranty.
The unit was subsequently fitted when the car was serviced 3 weeks ago.
If it helps it may be worth referring your dealer to the service department at Parks Land Rover, Ayr as they are the dealer who managed to organise the fix for me and having just checked the service receipt it does say fitted new towbar assembly as per Land Rover Service Bulletin SSM 40971.

hope this helps.

Neil

Post #111602 30th Aug 2011 7:11 pm
Warkman

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Its a major problem that Thule Brink are aware of (and the weak kesys) They are taking steps to sort it out as you would not want their warranty bill! Smile

those that live close enough, they are produced in Nuneaton, so you could go to the source and get a swap LOL

Post #117356 18th Oct 2011 6:18 pm
ad210358

England 

Just over a year down the line and the current Towbar is failing again, no noises yet but definite play in the reciever of the tow ball, so the problem is not solved Evil or Very Mad p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #121026 21st Nov 2011 6:28 pm
ad210358

England 

Is this a problem found with all detachable towbars Question

Due to the moving parts detachable towbars have a limited guarantee, usually 2 years. The neck and mounting point will naturally wear over time, and can be expensive to replace.

http://www.towbarexpress.co.uk/accessories.html

Post #124909 25th Dec 2011 11:22 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

My present tow bar is a fixed PCL. No problems there. Last car (a VW) had a detachable Westfalia bar. Fitting was very positive & solid. No problems there either. 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #124910 25th Dec 2011 11:25 am
ad210358

England 

After going through four tow balls and receivers in three years my Brink/Thule one is coming off and a Westfalia looks favourite to replace it, looked at the Witter one but it is similar to the Brink/Thule one so that one is out.

Post #124913 25th Dec 2011 12:25 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 9 <123456789>