Home > General > 1st Service
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
kezman50

England 
1st Service

Hi people...deep breath

I've just picked up an FL2 57 plate SE today from a well known Land Rover dealer through the all singing/dancing used approved sheme. It had 11,146 recorded miles on the clock All in all I'm very pleased with the purchase being my first FL2.....but here's the thing. When I viewed the vehicle the previous week, i was told that "Everything that's got to be done to the vehicle so that WHEN it leaves the dealership it DOESN'T need to come back, will be done" and certainly a service was mentioned. When I collected the car today I enquired about wether a service had been done and was told that a service is not due untill the 15k mark. So I took that on faith. Of course, now i've had a chance to look over the paperwork I discover that the Service book has no stamp for a first service at all and that the schedule says it's yes 15k or 12 months, which ever comes first!. The FL2 has a 1st reg date of 21 Dec 07 so it looks as though for what ever reason the one previous keeper did not have a service done around Dec 08' when it was due....and more importantly the official land Rover dealer has received, let a vehicle go through its used approved scheme. and released it to me some 10 months over due on the service.

Could you knowledgable people chime in and tell me wether I have an argument or not to insist that this service is carried out, naturally at their expense!!

Post #48954 17th Oct 2009 9:06 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

If the car wasn't serviced Dec'08 then LR themselves (not the dealer) could throw the warranty out the window

the dealer selling the car, or it's original dealer might be able to find out if this was carried out and if not I would be wanting to know if recalls the car was subjected to have been carried out Confused As the previous owner might have not bothered with these either
if they say it has ask for a copy of the original invoice as this could be hard to forge Wink

see what LR Customer care (not the dealer) have to say on it and then go to the dealer with what they say as the dealer might spout Censored

Remember the LR approved cars can be handed back, make sure you look at your rights/rules just in case Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #48958 17th Oct 2009 9:55 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Is there any services due notes in the small ODO display?

Also if it was serviced, having a early Oct09 service which is due Dec09 is out of the time scale LR allow if I recall correctly Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #48959 17th Oct 2009 9:58 pm
kezman50

England 

Thanks for the replies npinks. I'm certainly on the same wave length as you I think.... and have already taken note of the Customer relationship center at Whitley, Coventry (0870 5000500) I take it this is the right number is it? I will have a chat with them before I ring the dealer.

On the recall issue. Being a new member on this site I was certainly made aware of recalls such as the heater one etc and therefore in the week I was waiting to collect the car I rang the dealer, was put through to the service dept and was assured that all recalls relevant to the car are carried out as a matter of procedure. I further put this to the dealer in person when I collected the car on Saturday and again was given that assurance.
I suppose I could push for specifics on this point, asking for a break down of what work has being done to the vehicle while it's been in their possession (since sept apparently).

Just been out to the FL2 as per your advice to look at the ODO display (after educating myself what to look for from the owners handbook, everything is new to me you see) In the 5 secs the ignition is on, NO, there is no Service info at all. The owners handbook says that once distance or time are exceeded, the display shows a negative value. Question. Would this negative value count up to 10 months worth? i.e -300+

I suppose the vehicle could of had a service somewhere in time and someone has forgot to stamp the book and the dealer who sold me the car just simply hasn't done his homework. The dealer could of reset the display without carrying out a service which is basically deception.I've basically just got to go on a big fact finding mission in the next day or two!

Post #48969 18th Oct 2009 7:40 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

Lets hope its just a simple case that the dealer forgot to stamp the service book when it had a service after 12 months, I have had that happen to me many times and have had to make a special trip back just to get the book stamped.

But likewise be on your guard that its never had a service, even though owners are told its at '15000 or 12 month' intervals many simply go by mileage alone and as yours is such low mileage assuming constant mileage after 12 months yours would have only done about 6000 miles after 12 months and the owner might have though 'why bother spending £250 on a service when I have only done a third of the recommended miles?'

I would assume if the dealer received the car without any service history then they are not obliged to service the vehicle although I would hope that they have given it a good check up and topped up the engine oil etc.

Good luck sorting it out but dont hold your breath with customer relationship centre, from my own personal experience they are useless and side with the dealer all the time. Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #48970 18th Oct 2009 10:15 am
christian138

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

Quote:
EXCHANGE POLICY
We are confident that all Approved vehicles meet the strict quality standards. However, if the dealer is unable to resolve to your satisfaction a demonstrable fault, within the first 30 days or 1,000 miles (whichever is sooner), you will be entitled to exchange your vehicle for a similar vehicle of equal or higher value.*

Post #48971 18th Oct 2009 11:15 am
kezman50

England 

Thanks christian138. You never know it might be handy to quote that!!

Post #48975 18th Oct 2009 6:21 pm
gilfishman

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

the previous owner must have known it needed a service in 12 months time,after new,as the stealers keep pestering you round about the 11 th month Shocked in my experience,never mind the mileage it covers,make sure the heater recall has been done,lr should have that on file with reg/chas id number.if the stealers are stratstone good luck my friend.....you have bought a fine motor Thumbs Up

Post #48976 18th Oct 2009 6:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rowy

This is outrageous,
The dealer saying it doesn't need servicing till 15K. For instance if it did have a service at 12mths at say 9K-It would require the next service at 24mths or 24Kmiles which ever the soonest.

Ring the dealer that supplied it from new-if different from where you purchased it and see if it has been serviced and not stamped.

If it hasn't you've technically got a car with no service history and no warranty.

This Just proves that main dealer cars are NO better than private/non franchised dealer cars JUST MORE EXPENSIVE!!! (Oh but they have a coffee machine)
The L/R dealer near me has a number of 08 reg cars up for similar prices people on here have been quoted for a new one. drive the deal etc.

Post #48990 19th Oct 2009 3:50 pm
kezman50

England 

It is all pretty slack Rowy I agree. The irony is the vehicle that I traded in was over 5 years old and was passed over with full service History. Was serviced at the correct intervals with all the stamps to prove it. Yet the car that the dealer has passed over to me is a year and 10 months, and like you say I'm stuggling to get any service history at all.

I rang Landover customer relations this morning and I got on ok with the guy. He didn't give me conclusive answers one way or the other because basically he can't. He explained for example that with checking recalls, as some have said, it is simply a case of VIN number to bring up full details for your car....but you can't do that with Service data because their is no way to centralise it, due to the fact that not just franchised dealers can carry out a service. He kind of said that the possible over due factor can infringe warranty but then again not necessarily. That an issue is only looked into if it occurs and not the other way round. He seemed to lean towards the service indicator prompts on the milage basis and the fact that it is adaptive rather than the timescale elemets to the prompts. He concluded that the fact that there is no service info on the odometer is likely pointing to the fact that it has been serviced and somehow missed its stamp. He finished by saying talk to your dealer, in particular to the sales manager...and even told me who to ask for.

Post #49016 19th Oct 2009 8:27 pm
kezman50

England 

Following on.. from previous post....spoke to the Sales manager at the dealers. Call backs from him were prompt. He was of the opinion that when a Land Rover goes to a new customer through the used approved scheme, the manufacture warranty resets. That is not to say you get another 3 years of course, but to a degree it's previous existance is ignored. That was my basic understanding of it anyhow.

Now I'm no fool...it could all be tosh, and that concept seems to contradict the whole point of service history. That, never the less is what he said.

There was a fair bit of reassurance. He rang off to pull the vehicles file. A prompt call back revealed that £650 worth of work was carried out to get the car on the forecourt to which he will send me a copy of the invoice and that a SERVICE was carried out by themselves on Oct 1st and that somehow the service book has missed it's stamp from them. I'm to send them the service book to which they will amend the stamp. (would you guy's send it recorded delivery?) later in the day I rang back and have requested that an assurance of manufacturer's warranty is put down for me in writting. I will put a covering letter in with the sending of the service book insisting for all service history assosiated with the car. Lesson learned. I should of done this before point of sale. Is there anything else that any of you would ask/insist from them?

This is all just a few steps in the right direction and I'm a little more encouraged than I was on Sunday. Though the dealers are not off the hook, I'm not off the hook. I realise there is still a big ? regarding Warranty and in particular Manufacturers Warranty, particularly with other more convenient local dealers. My next step tomorrow is to, like has been suggested, ring the dealer that supplied the car from new and see what I can learn if anything from them, in particular it's life around the 12 month and onwards.

I've just read all this through and relised what a complete joke this all is. I might of been better off buying privately!!

Thanks for all your interest.

Post #49022 19th Oct 2009 9:57 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

You do get 12 months warranty on approved used so techinally this would expire Oct2010, but your car is a Dec07 car so the original warranty runs out Dec2010.

So in my opinion your car needs to have been serviced Dec2008 (ignoring the Oct2009)when it was due or I suppose the 12 months warranty you get with the car comes in to force and your warranty runs out 2 months early..... Confused Hope your still with me there and not lost

you need to clarify the Dec08 service with supplying dealer, or the owner if you have there details, the supplying dealer should have these, aswell as your dealer as they bought the car off them. And get this stamp before the Oct2009 stamp

Send all doc's recorded Thumbs Up

Stress, worrying about this is surely worth a bit of compensation Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #49024 19th Oct 2009 10:36 pm
christian138

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

npinks wrote:
You do get 12 months warranty on approved used so techinally this would expire Oct2010, but your car is a Dec07 car so the original warranty runs out Dec2010.

So in my opinion your car needs to have been serviced Dec2008 (ignoring the Oct2009)when it was due or I suppose the 12 months warranty you get with the car comes in to force and your warranty runs out 2 months early..... Confused Hope your still with me there and not lost

you need to clarify the Dec08 service with supplying dealer, or the owner if you have there details, the supplying dealer should have these, aswell as your dealer as they bought the car off them. And get this stamp before the Oct2009 stamp

Send all doc's recorded Thumbs Up

Stress, worrying about this is surely worth a bit of compensation

Demand written confirmation that the vehicle is warranted until Dec2008 and that the gap in the service history will not effect this.

The 'gamble' then will be reduced to the warranty only being covered by the dealer between Oct10 and Dec10, assuming that the dealer is still in existence at that time 

Post #49028 20th Oct 2009 10:25 am
gstd4-e

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

Blimey, what a mess.

There are 3 Land Rover warranties for second hand cars –

Land Rover new car warranty for vehicles less than 3 years old/60,000 miles and serviced in accordance with terms & conditions.

Land Rover Approved warranty for vehicles up 5 years old/60,000 miles and provides a minimum 12 months warranty. This would include vehicles less than 3 years old where the new car warranty is void due to breach of terms & conditions.

Land Rover Select warranty for vehicles up to 7 years old and less than 100,000 miles.

So, if this car did not have a new car warranty you will have been given a Land Rover Approved warranty and paperwork that comes with it.

If you weren’t given any additional paperwork then the dealer has assumed new car warranty and sold it to you as such i.e. Full Service History. I’m no lawyer but that is breach of contract if it now does not have a new car warranty. Full refund.

When I part exchanged my D3 last month the value was provisional and I was required to supply the dealer with the service history before completion.

Accept nothing less than Full Service History and new car warranty as trying to sell it later will mean reduced value.

Post #49040 20th Oct 2009 4:48 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Mrs Dave's car was registered new in April 2007. We bought the car in July this year. Manufacturers 3 year warranty expires in April 2010, but the dealer has extended the full manufacturers "new car" warranty until July when the vehicle will be 12 months old to us. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #49047 20th Oct 2009 6:38 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>