Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Tips & Tricks > Eco Stop Start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I wonder if there is a fuse for the "stop/start" system - once pulled you may never have to worry about it again Thumbs Up
However I also wonder why anybody buys the _e version or are they all like that these days Question 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #52189 16th Dec 2009 1:06 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

Since March 2009 all manual shifts are _e's. They are working on the auto-shifts too and when that is sorted all those will be _e's too.

Post #52218 17th Dec 2009 7:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

upnaway wrote:
Thanks Guys for the no help, its transpired that its not the engine stopping thats iffed him off (he does not travel into the bright lights of Droitwich very often) but a warning light in the cluster that tells him to change up before his misses suggests he slow down.

The 'Yorkshire' method of disabling the 'change gear now you fool to save the planet warning light' would be to stick a small square of black insulating tape onto the perspex screen in the line of sight Laughing

We also use sand in our tea/coffee instead of sugar up here, not only is it better for you, once dried out you can use it over and over again, thus saving the planet Thumbs Up

Post #52277 18th Dec 2009 9:13 am
The Doc

United Kingdom 

Should have bought an auto Whistle

Post #52279 18th Dec 2009 9:21 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Auto +1 Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #52283 18th Dec 2009 9:44 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

mcphersonstrut wrote:

We also use sand in our tea/coffee instead of sugar up here, not only is it better for you, once dried out you can use it over and over again, thus saving the planet Thumbs Up

Shocked you use real coffee and tea, flash git Evil or Very Mad At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #52288 18th Dec 2009 10:33 am
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Hi.i was just wondering if any one gave this stop start thing any thought of total cost.What i meen.benefits:you get road tax a little cheaper and a few more miles.
Against: Well if you were to imagine the average stop and start of the engine over a period of,lets say four years.
Firstly the freelander 2 with no stop/start system,average wear and tear on starter motor,flywheel and battery.
secondly,lets look at the wear and tear of the new stop/start system.Over a period of four years would be equal to that of a ten year old model,the wear and tear on the components are likely to be three times that of the prevous model.
verdict. any money saved by the stop stat syetem is gonna catch up later in the form of new starter/flywheel and batteries over the vehicals life.
Not so good in the long run for some poor sod who buys a four to six year old vehical. Censored Censored

Post #52374 18th Dec 2009 8:24 pm
MLEE

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

superspark wrote:
Firstly the freelander 2 with no stop/start system,average wear and tear on starter motor,flywheel and battery.
secondly,lets look at the wear and tear of the new stop/start system.Over a period of four years would be equal to that of a ten year old model,the wear and tear on the components are likely to be three times that of the prevous model.

I enquired about that earlier this year.
I was lead to believe that items such as the ones you've mentioned above - have been uprated as a result of the new stop/start system.

Post #52379 18th Dec 2009 8:58 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

yes upgraded components, and stop/start doesnt stop the car until it is warmed and easy to restart. The most strain on the started is starting a cold engine. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #52380 18th Dec 2009 9:01 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I worked at BMW last year when the systems were relatively new, and there were some cars that had the stop start system had done 50 000 miles with no fault whatsoever, which shows that modern engines aren't affected too much by stopping and starting. I know a guy from Land Rover who has said that each component has been beefed up to cope with at leaast 10x as many starts than a standard none stop start car. E.g, the starter motor is good for 30 000 starts apparently...!

To switch the BMW system off you had to tell the dealer you were thinking about selling the car and going to a different brand...then the dealer would do it with their flash computer. Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #52381 18th Dec 2009 9:10 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

There's a specification of what they exactly upgraded and changed to accomadate the start/stop system which was for me the reason I waited out on it. The improvements were quite impressive to me to convince me to go for it since they did not upgrade the price as well.

These days I mostly drive in snow setting which disables it anyway. I'm also quite used to it so it doesn't bother me in any way otherwise either. To me it works perfectly.

Nice to know that it can handle 10x as many starts, as I probably average on about 3 to 4 more starts then without. I do drive quite a lot of continious distances so even the regular configuration would not be overly strained in my opinion.

It's not descined to drive around the church tower, is it...

Post #52594 22nd Dec 2009 8:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
flylr

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

zone30 wrote:
Got the start/stop system myself and got used to it. Doesn't shut the engine off all the mime, especially with these hot temps and my wife thinking airco is the same as your car being a fridge. It usually stops then restart in 10 to 15 seconds an never stops again.

Just like mine. Turns off the engine first time for under 30 seconds, then restarts and then doesn't turn off again!
It seems to be linked to use of the aircon, but don't understand why it won't switch off again - even after idling for several minutes even though it saw fit to switch off the first time. I think the system still needs work to get it right.

Also the 'eco' gear change light is plain stupid. If you change gear when it tells you to - particularly 6th, the engine can't cope with the load and you have to shift back to 5th.

Yes I'll say it again - and again - and again - should have bought the auto!! Big Cry

Post #69600 30th May 2010 11:20 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

I turn the ECO off every time I get in the car when I remember & yes I should have got an auto too! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #69602 30th May 2010 11:54 pm
LR09WA

Australia 

Hello to all

My wife is contemplating buying a TD4_E, at 10k cheaper than the SE TD4 is it good buying or should we cough for the extra $$..

Post #69607 31st May 2010 5:45 am
fthrjack

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Alaska White

chicken george wrote:

Shocked you use real coffee and tea, flash git Evil or Very Mad

We re-use the tea bags at least 5 times. Laughing

Post #345745 24th Mar 2018 8:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>