Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Test driving a FL2, advice?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Dunk

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Nazca Sand
Test driving a FL2, advice?

Right chaps......I may of found a FL2 and hopefully will be looking at it tomorrow, (got a very good price for the BMW as an outright purchase from a dealer which gives me options), so my question is what, if anything, should I be looking out for? it's under warranty as it's an '07 but even so i'd appreciate any pointers. I fully expect it to drive as it should as it's relatively low mileage and from a small Landie dealer but you never know? Confused

Post #46519 14th Aug 2009 6:16 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

test clutch , make sure car stalls without clutch slip if you try and set off with your foot on brake
check under rear for signs of a damaging towbar having been previously fitted.
look at the seatbelts on the b pillar to see if the trim is worn by the belt At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #46522 14th Aug 2009 7:54 pm
Dunk

chicken george wrote:
test clutch , make sure car stalls without clutch slip if you try and set off with your foot on brake
check under rear for signs of a damaging towbar having been previously fitted.
look at the seatbelts on the b pillar to see if the trim is worn by the belt

Will do.......no tow bar fitted so I hadn't thought of that Thumbs Up , I imagine it'll have small ammounts of wear inside but i'll look out for that too. I hope it'll be a decent one, i'm getting cheesed off lugging all my shooting gear across fields when I could so easily be driving across instead Cool The Pointer certainly needs more room too, bless her, and.......it's getting so tiring having every racer chump wanting to show me how to drive Laughing .

Post #46527 14th Aug 2009 8:55 pm
chicken george

the belt thing causes trim damage and will be a warranty fix At work
At home

Post #46528 14th Aug 2009 9:00 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
problems ???

Hi,

As long as you are buying a car with warranty then I think you are OK, just make sure you have a good conversation with the dealer about how they deal with warranty claims.

I have just parted company from an LR2 with nearly 65k on the clock. I know there were a small number of problems with the car (which my dealer couldn't/wouldn't deal with) and the next owner will inherit those problems .. IF (BIG IF) the car is supplied via a decent dealer then I'm sure the problems will be dealt with.

So PLEASE make sure that you have a conversation with the supplier about how problems will be dealt with when/iif they arise.

I am (was) one of the highest mileage owners on the forum, loved the car to bits, the ownership experience was only let down by the dealer, if you can agree acceptable terms of reference with the dealer up front then go for it. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #46532 14th Aug 2009 10:45 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 

Get the dealer to check that recall work has been completed - sunroof, PTC etc...

Post #46535 15th Aug 2009 12:57 pm
chicken george

if its not black...send it back Cool

its a wide car so check it fits your garage/driveway

if non electric seats try and notice if drivers seat sinks as you drive At work
At home

Post #46536 15th Aug 2009 1:16 pm
Rowy

Re: problems ???

avtur wrote:
I have just parted company from an LR2 with nearly 65k on the clock. I know there were a small number of problems with the car (which my dealer couldn't/wouldn't deal with) and the next owner will inherit those problems .. IF (BIG IF) the car is supplied via a decent dealer then I'm sure the problems will be dealt with.

With 65k the car won't be sold on by a L/R dealer it'll go through the trade/auction/ebay and the L/R warranty is only 60k-recalls will be covered but nothing else.
Some poor mug'll buy it with one of them crap after-care warrantys with £100 excess and £500 claim limit (excluding anything that might go wrong)

Post #46537 15th Aug 2009 1:48 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Good point Rowy,

I hadn't thought of the 60k limitation, oh my god some poor soul is going to buy is right load of trouble. By coincidence we are away at our weekend retreat and I was just saying to Mrs Avtur about the future of the old motor, guess I'll just wait for the call when the next owner tracks me down through DVLA records .... having discovered my post-it notes around the car and in the manual !!!

Sorry to say but I'm 3 weeks in as a Volvo owner and the experience is quite different to the same stage as a LR owner. Buying experience was without doubt the best I have experienced in 37 years of motoring and ownership at 3 weeks and over 2k miles is perfect ... somewhat different to the LR experience. The dealer who supplied the car (despite being 250 miles away) was just fantastic, the car itself has performed without fault. On both counts that is some what better then the LR experience.

I have seen many comments on here about fantastic service from LR dealers, I'm pleased that is the case; however my dealer experience was not good, so anyone thinking out buying an FL2 needs to pt the dealer under considerable pressure to establish what level of support they will offer. I will state clearly thta my dealer DID NOT perform in the way you might expect for a premium brand dealership Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #46542 15th Aug 2009 7:02 pm
Dunk

Reading all these tips with interest, thank you. I couldn't get to test the FL2 on Sat' as the motorway was choked and it would of taken too long to get there. Will be visiting tomorrow with a fair wind blowing, which I imagine there will be should I take the plunge and put a deposit down Laughing , I always do that......put down a deposit then think, 'did I really want to do that'?! then start worrying Confused I still have the Outlander/4007 in my mind purely down to it seeming more reliable but I do prefer the FL2 still, I just wish there wasn't such a cross section of opinion on the Freelander as I tend to dwell on the negatives Rolling Eyes

Just out of interest, does anyone know if the satin type strips that run along the lower part of the dash are available as an aftermarket purchase, the GS seems to have plain plastic and it does seem a bit naff IMO.

Post #46586 16th Aug 2009 10:13 pm
phil_wkl

Australia 

To be honest, there's always going to be some issues, some people are unluckier than others. Folks are more vocal when it comes to problems than when nothing has happened. I don't remember reading a huge amount of problems from different cars, mainly from the same cars. Dealer and service experience really is luck of the draw.

You can buy replacement trim from ebay, some LR dealers sell stock through the site too. Phil

Post #46588 16th Aug 2009 11:14 pm
stormsky

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Like any car from any manufacturer, the ones manufactured early on in the first year tend to have a few more problems than later ones. 58 HSE, auto, lago grey, tints. Mine and my dogs Storm and Sky
TT Quattro, black. Ers.
AC Cobra rep in build. Ars.

Post #46597 17th Aug 2009 10:57 am
Dunk

Well, the car drove very well. Everything felt right....light clutch,steering etc., engine pulled very well and i'd forgot just how nice they drive. It hadn't been valeted so was a bit grimey inside but there was an honest feeling about both the car and the dealer. No tow bar fitted but checked underneath as advised and it looks like it hasn't seen much, if any, off road use. The clutch had plenty of bite although it did have a lot of travel I thought?, the seat didn't lower in the 20 minutes I drove it and all the air-con'/lights/gauges etc. functioned as they should, all panels were unmarked. Tyres were a bit low so that may be a bargaining point but it will come fully serviced prior to purchase. Forgot to check B pillar trim Rolling Eyes

I am just waiting for confirmation of date of manufacture/recall work then i'll make a decision, it's an 07/07 but i'd want some warranty for peace of mind. I will be taking the 330 back to a dealer tomorrow to get a finalised purchase price then get the ball rolling if we can do a deal, that's assuming the FL doesn't go between now and then of course.

Post #46610 17th Aug 2009 4:28 pm
Dunk

Re: problems ???

[quote="avtur"]Hi,

As long as you are buying a car with warranty then I think you are OK, just make sure you have a good conversation with the dealer about how they deal with warranty claims.

So PLEASE make sure that you have a conversation with the supplier about how problems will be dealt with when/iif they arise.

Thumbs Up , good call.....I will once i've had my car valued and remaining warranty on FL confirmed.

Post #46611 17th Aug 2009 4:31 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

Dunk wrote:
It hadn't been valeted so was a bit grimey inside but there was an honest feeling about both the car and the dealer.

I have had this feeling when looking at cars in the past.............you seem to feel as if the car is good, but hard to explain.

Post #46612 17th Aug 2009 5:03 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>