« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Spare wheel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
qzx372

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey
Spare wheel

Should I be concerned that the spare wheel is a different make to the other four tyres. I have 235/65 x 17 Michelins on the car and the spare is a 235/65 x 17 Goodyear? I've had the car for 4 months and only just realised there is a difference (i checked to make sure the size was the same when i got the car but not the make). I have an 2.2 manual SE.

Post #2823 2nd May 2007 12:48 pm
The Salesman

United Kingdom 

Hello qzx372

This is something that I've been aware of since we first started taking delivery of FL2 into the dealership. It appears that the spare on all FL2's is a different make to the other four tyres. Very strange if you ask me. I have just check five FL2's we have in stock here and the spare is a different make to the other four tyres on all five FL2's... I have no explanation for this. Whether or not you should be concerned? I would say no don't be concerned you are definately not alone. Hope this helps...

Post #3117 17th May 2007 11:28 am
superkoala

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Rimini Red

My spare wheel is exactly the same as the other 4 : 235/60/18 Pirelli.
I opted for the full size spare wheel.
So there are some cars about that have the same make of tyres, or is my car an exception ?

Post #3118 17th May 2007 11:53 am
The Salesman

United Kingdom 

Yes you will have the same as you have five alloys. If you go for the full size spare option then you get a matching fifth alloy and tyre. Otherwise if you have the standard temporary spare you will probably have an odd tyre...

Post #3119 17th May 2007 12:27 pm
superkoala

aha, I wasn't aware of that.
Makes the investment of the full spare even more worth the money Smile 

Post #3120 17th May 2007 12:36 pm
thetoothdoc

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

So if i opt for the full size spare i will also get a proper alloy wheel and not just a steel one.
The xs does come with a spacesaver alloy as standard but my dealer was uncertain about what wheel would come with the option.
thanks toothdoc

Post #3200 20th May 2007 7:38 pm
superkoala

indeed, if you opt for de full size spare you get exactly the same as the four other wheels
it's a bargain if you ask me, considering the price of the alloys (when one gets damaged, you can allways change it with the spare) 

Post #3202 20th May 2007 7:54 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

The Salesman wrote:
Yes you will have the same as you have five alloys. If you go for the full size spare option then you get a matching fifth alloy and tyre. Otherwise if you have the standard temporary spare you will probably have an odd tyre...

My situation doesn't quite match .... I have spare tyre that matches the size and make of my running tyres but it is mounted on a steel rim, with a 50 mph (80 kph) speed limit. Not sure why there is a speed limit on the spare ?

Post #3203 20th May 2007 10:35 pm
superkoala

probably to make sure you get the original one repaired asap Wink 

Post #3210 21st May 2007 7:45 am
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

there was another post about why the steel spares are speed limited - something to do with the alloy wheel bolts I seem to remember. Not sure of the physics, but it all made sense at the time!

Has anyone got a price for a full alloy spare ? (not the 120 GBP upgrade at time of order)

BG

Post #3212 21st May 2007 8:43 am
quickmotor

Ireland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

I got a full size spare wheel but when I went to take off the back one to investigate a noise i found out that the wheel brace supplied does not fit the nuts on the alloys! Mad

Thankfully I discovered this before I had a flat Cool

Post #3222 21st May 2007 4:46 pm
thetoothdoc

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

i have spoken to my dealer who confirmed that the standard spare is a spacesaver , if i opt for the factory option of a full size spare this will be on a steel wheel only , not an alloy.
landrover not really helpful ( even if they make the thing ) one person told me that an upgrade would come with an alloy and another told me to contact the dealer as they did not know.
seems any way that the option being a factory fit needs to be ordered at the same time as the vehicle and my dealer said that even if the vehicle had not been released it was to late!!
so if you want a proper spare you need some more research before ordering. toothdoc

Post #3555 4th Jun 2007 11:57 am
insider

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

The temporary spare ( of which some you you are calling a space saver ) is a 17 inch tyre ( possible different brand )on a steel wheel regardless of your alloy size and may only be used at a restricted speed . If you pay for a full size spare you will get a spare with the same tyre size and alloy as your other 4 wheels , you can also use it at normal speeds unlike the temporary spare. PS if you buy the very base spec car in the uk you only get a tyre repair kit no wheel at all

Post #3581 4th Jun 2007 8:54 pm
waaxh03

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

When I was thinking of buying a FL2 my dealer said that an alloy spare wheel bought separately to the car would cost around £500. When I ordered the car I ordered the alloy spare with it. Because of this I had to wait several months for the car to be built. I could have bought the same car from another dealer without a alloy spare wheel straight away.

waaxh03

Post #3647 6th Jun 2007 6:22 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Your dealer must be taking the pi55!!! I've got the HSE and it was £102 Exclamation Evil or Very Mad It really annoys me when the dealers try it on to get the sale. I had the cargo net in the boot, the price varied between the options brochure and the car brochure Question Question. My dealer just lobbed the net in the boot in its plastic bag Evil or Very Mad I had paid for it to be fitted!!!!!!! I really kicked off...he filled the car with fuel £63 Thumbs Up kerching in my pocket. Small tip to everyone...DO YOUR RESEARCH AND NEVER BELIEVE THE DEALER - DO NOT TRUST ANYBODY......PLEASE it pays in the end.....honest!!.....trust ME Whistle Whistle Thumbs Up Wink

Post #3649 6th Jun 2007 8:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>