Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Loss of power at low revs, struggles to accelerate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rat_penat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black
Loss of power at low revs, struggles to accelerate

Hello darkness my old friend.

First off I fixed the rear passenger door. It was an arse to do and I never want to do it again.

So today I went at the throttle body for the above mentioned problem. Starts fine, sometimes a rough idle, but at some point in the drive it starts to really struggle when accelerating up to 1500rpm. And when I say struggle, I mean it literally won't drive forward on an incline if I happen to stop on one.

I figured it was the EGR either stuck open or closed as it's not throwing codes and there's no check engine light on. I got the throttle body off first to look inside and realised there's no sensor inside. Is that normal on an SD4?

I can't see anything to connect the temperature sensor to either, so if I bought one I wouldn't know where to plug it in to. Someone put my mind at ease and tell me SD4 don't have them.

Anyway, I've got an EGR valve on order so if the motor is burnt out hopefully that will be the end of it.

In other news, I stuck on some wind deflectors in the wrong place and then had to rip them off. I am an idiot. Landrover Freelander 2 Sport
SD4 Auto

Post #435715 15th Sep 2023 9:37 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Not all vehicles had an air temperature sensor, so don't worry about that. It's not needed for a diesel to function, and the ECM is simply mapped without using the temperature data directly, but works it out from the data from other sensors.

The EGR valve will need to be calibrated for it to function correctly, so it's not a simple swap component. Actually any changes to the air path components requires an air path calibration be carried out, in order for the ECM to be able to run the engine correctly. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #435724 16th Sep 2023 6:44 am
Rat_penat

Yeah I was reading about that last night - I had assumed you could just swap them out. For anyone else reading this, they stopped putting the temp sensor in around 2011 or so.

However, I found someone who had a similar problem who had a non-original fuel filter. I'm going to get a Purflux one and see if that rectifies the issue.

I'm totally stumped otherwise. Landrover Freelander 2 Sport
SD4 Auto

Post #435737 16th Sep 2023 10:04 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Have you found an answer yet? (EGR?)

I have experienced this 4 or 5 times over the last few weeks, although it only lasts for seconds, and my SD4 has driven perfectly alright for hundreds of miles between episodes.

As you say it happens only at very low rpm on light throttle as I pull away.

I cannot see any codes or messages recorded, and have noticed no changes in performance before or after the events.

It's feels odd, I just ease throttle and I get a 'Computer says NO' moment.

No work has been carried out at all on the car except regular Dealer Services. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #436791 5th Nov 2023 2:38 pm
FL2ukkent

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Mass air flow sensor possibly?

Post #436806 5th Nov 2023 7:57 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Found this which includes an entry from Degsy

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic36011.html?highlight=air+mass

and a very a good link from Dorset----

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic16502-15.html

I am reading through the vast amount of info provided but so far, apart from the fact it has caused a lot of problems in the past, I haven't got a real answer.

The dealers so far have been concentrating on EGR, Turbo, Gearbox, Software, and Haldex?, although I haven't spotted a successful fix --so far -- although I am still carefully wading through the info provided. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #436817 6th Nov 2023 10:51 am
Rat_penat

So, I have solved it (I think).

Car ran awfully the other day when it was low on fuel. It was also temperature related- ran awful when hot (stop start traffic, or stopping after long drives).

Purflux fuel filter change seems to have resolved the issue but time will tell. The car does respond far quicker to acceleration, and the reverse gear is more powerful. It also doesn't shake when climbing hills as it did. I'm convinced it was a fuelling issue and the fuel filter was the first thing to change. Landrover Freelander 2 Sport
SD4 Auto

Post #436990 12th Nov 2023 8:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1