Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Removing a Stripped Torx Filler Plug
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Are you going to weld a big nut to the new filler plug, before you put it in ? Jules

Post #436933 10th Nov 2023 11:15 pm
CaptainBarnacles

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Not a bad idea. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned wrapping a bit of PTFE tape around the threads before fitting the new one so I was going to try that. I'm just not sure if the resistance comes from the threads or from the flat underside of the cap head. If it's the latter then the PTFE won't have any effect. I suppose if could be a combination of both, in which case PTFE would be of some help.

As there isn't an O-ring on the cap I could just reuse the old one?? Either way I think I'll put a very thin smear of copper grease on the underside of the cap head, PTFE on the threads and copper grease on the head to stop it corroding.

There may be a good reason not to do this so please don't take my word as gospel, if I were going to remove the cap for the first time I would remove the AT controller, cover the electrical connector with gaffer tape or similar, put wet cloths all around the fill cap to keep the transmission case cool (and protect other components) and then get some heat on the cap from a blow torch (ideally with MAPP gas). I think it was the heat of the welding that broke the hold so it might not be necessary to break out the welder. OBVIOUSLY there are safety concerns around using a blow torch in an engine bay but I hope we're all grown up enough to manage those risks. 2010 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #436941 11th Nov 2023 10:25 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Just thinking ...
I'm not sure putting a copper grease between steel and aluminium is a good idea based on my limited knowledge of chemistry. Maybe a silicone grease would be better.

The filler plug is a bad design - a torx socket facing upwards for all the muck to collect and corrode the splines in something that gets really really tight - almost designed to fail

Anyone tried an impact driver on the filler plug ? Jules

Post #436943 11th Nov 2023 12:38 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Silicone and rubber the love affair that is forever

Post #436959 11th Nov 2023 7:53 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

jules wrote:
Just thinking ...
I'm not sure putting a copper grease between steel and aluminium is a good idea based on my limited knowledge of chemistry. Maybe a silicone grease would be better.

The filler plug is a bad design - a torx socket facing upwards for all the muck to collect and corrode the splines in something that gets really really tight - almost designed to fail

Anyone tried an impact driver on the filler plug ?

Yep, used my 1/2" Ryobi impact gun on it recently, came out effortlessly. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #436960 11th Nov 2023 10:06 pm
Badger51

Australia 

CaptainBarnacles wrote:
Not a bad idea. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned wrapping a bit of PTFE tape around the threads before fitting the new one so I was going to try that. I'm just not sure if the resistance comes from the threads or from the flat underside of the cap head. If it's the latter then the PTFE won't have any effect. I suppose if could be a combination of both, in which case PTFE would be of some help.

As there isn't an O-ring on the cap I could just reuse the old one?? Either way I think I'll put a very thin smear of copper grease on the underside of the cap head, PTFE on the threads and copper grease on the head to stop it corroding.

There may be a good reason not to do this so please don't take my word as gospel, if I were going to remove the cap for the first time I would remove the AT controller, cover the electrical connector with gaffer tape or similar, put wet cloths all around the fill cap to keep the transmission case cool (and protect other components) and then get some heat on the cap from a blow torch (ideally with MAPP gas). I think it was the heat of the welding that broke the hold so it might not be necessary to break out the welder. OBVIOUSLY there are safety concerns around using a blow torch in an engine bay but I hope we're all grown up enough to manage those risks.

IMHO, you don’t want to be putting anything on the filler plug that could possibly find its way into the auto box & contaminate it! (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #436961 11th Nov 2023 10:25 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

jules wrote:
Just thinking ...

There will be a corrosion party with those 3 metals.

I use PTFE tape on stainless bolts into steel for the car for the roof rack.

Galvanized bolts are good (zinc plated is useless). Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #436962 11th Nov 2023 10:31 pm
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Removing a stripped torx filler plug

I have read all of the replies to your dilemma, this is what I would do, purchase a new plug from a main dealer and measure the thread shoulder from the top surface to thread width.
Carefully drill an eight’th drill bit hole all around the lip surface, use a hoover possibly a Henry type as it has quite a good suck, as what your looking for is to release the pressure between the surface and the gearbox case, removing the outer rim and then possibly the centre part of the plug might unscrew? If not Cross threaded?
Sounds bloody awful but it might solve the problem.

Or? Buy some metric taps drill down the centre of the plug again using the hoover again to suck up the particles and then re tap a smaller thread using grease to hold the cuttings and re tap a new thread with a bolt of suitable size and a copper washer. End of the day it’s a filler plug.

I once had a similar problem with a transfer gearbox on a Mercedes unimog level plug/filler where the owner/farmers son had rounded off a 14mm Allen level plug, I drilled out the centre and re tapped a new thread and fitted a 13mm head bolt as the level plug, it never leaked and never failed. The vehicle is now ploughing up some field on the Isle of Man and every year since I get a Xmas card from the owner, some 45 years ago and it’s still ploughing.
No harm in trying.

Post #436964 12th Nov 2023 12:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Use tapping fluid when tapping, you get a much better quality tapped thread. Use a 'taper' tap. Not intermediate or bottom tap unless the hole bottoms out. Also a Sutton tap, not Chinese rubbish.

When tapping, half turn forward then quarter turn back & repeat. More critical the smaller the tap. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #436965 12th Nov 2023 1:28 am
Grue

New Zealand 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

Discovered that plumbers PTFE tape gets eaten steering fluid (nicely taped threads were leaking after a year), but then it's not like the filler plug is constantly in contact with the oil like the steering fluid lines would be... Was surprised as it's supposed to have some pretty good hydrocarbon 'resistance'.

Post #437001 13th Nov 2023 12:33 am
CaptainBarnacles

jules wrote:
Just thinking ...

Anyone tried an impact driver on the filler plug ?

Good call on the copper grease. I'm no chemist either but silicone grease does seem like a safer option.

The filler plug could do with a rubber cap over it to stop moisture sitting in there. Of course it could just be a hexagon head bolt with a flange (like a sump plug!). 2010 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #437043 14th Nov 2023 7:38 pm
CaptainBarnacles

Grue wrote:
Discovered that plumbers PTFE tape gets eaten steering fluid (nicely taped threads were leaking after a year), but then it's not like the filler plug is constantly in contact with the oil like the steering fluid lines would be... Was surprised as it's supposed to have some pretty good hydrocarbon 'resistance'.

That is surprising Shocked ! I thought that PTFE was impervious to almost everything.

I'm starting to think that I'll keep my old filler plug with a 32mm nut welded on and just remember to free it up every so often (maybe every engine oil change) so it doesn't bind too tightly. Of course if it does the I have all that meat to torque it around with instead of just the piddly torx drive. 2010 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #437045 14th Nov 2023 7:44 pm
davyboy

Removing stripped torx filler plug

Sunday afternoon I was at a loose end so decided to build a mock gearbox filler plug scenario, plus I had an old gearbox casing from a previous project with the thread being the same as a landrover Freelander 2 auto box filler plug,(previous merc unimog days) rummaging around all the junk I keep found three old filler plugs from the auto gearbox oil change challenges of my landy, so I put the old plug plus copper washer into the gearbox casing to a torque of 7Nm then carefully drilled out the Torx area of the plug to accept a flat copper washer but without penetrating the plug cap, and then placed a black cloth below the plug, put plenty of grease onto the drill bit plus a hoover nozzle near to the drilling and put a neat hole through the plug, bearing in mind the wall thickness of the plug was tiny, again using a new tap I managed eventually to tap a small thread into the plug, tried a 13mm head short bolt and copper washer to 5Nm. Seating flat onto the plug top. Using a pressure washer no water penetrated the plug and seal.
Due to the grease and hoover there was no swarf or particles of drilling on the black cloth. Scene inside the landy gearbox.
But serious care while all this was ongoing. It’s just a workshop rig not actual.

Part 2, Yes, so I placed another plug into the same case, 7Nm, marked the plug with a thin black marker and dot punched the circumference of the plug, snapped off an eight’th drill bit to the thickness of the plug shoulder and drilled the dot markings all around the said circumference, prized off the shoulder and the inner plug I was able to unscrew by hand.

The first attempt I would be very happy indeed although care with the new bolt and sealing.

Many years ago I was part of the Lombard RAC rally as backup mechanics but not competitor mechanics, we kept the whole season going with many engineering scenarios where portable lathes were in the back of many merc G wagons, re manufacturing anything that was constantly ongoing, many stories are now happy memories, nothing is impossible even knee high in mud with water gushing down your back trying to keep everyone on track,

Post #437048 14th Nov 2023 8:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CaptainBarnacles

Brilliant work there DavyBoy, you totally engineered the heck out of this problem Very Happy

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable using the first method just in case anything dropped into the box but it looks like your 2 pronged solution of grease and vacuum was very effective.

The second solution really does prove the point that it's the mating flat faces that bind up and not the threads.

Ahh, the glory days of rallying. I used to go and see the Lombard RAC at Chatsworth (up in the woods above the house - amazing!), Clumber Park and Dalby Forest when I was a kid back in the 80s. Man, those were the days Razz We're off to the Wyedean Rally this weekend as it's just up the road. I've never been before but I gather it's a good one. 2010 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #437054 14th Nov 2023 9:12 pm
davyboy

Removing stripped torx filler plug

Hi, yes a severe gamble either way, the second option is more likely to be the solution, bit of a thought though hopefully it’s not cross threaded, I remember watching some formula Ford chaps doing some repairs to one of their competition cars and time was the essence, everything was air powered and they just went straight in spinning every bolt and cap into place. Hopefully the guy who installed your filler cap originally hand fitted it then the proverbial an air or battery tool to tighten, it seems this is the norm within workshops, I remember well my first service at the Landy workshops they spun out the threads on the air filter box with some tool, the threads were none existent.
Anyway lessons learned with dealerships.

Yes the Lombard rally’s were very indeed entertaining, we were the back up, of the back up team sponsored by a private investor, the money was excellent let alone their allowance of vehicles we chose, we also supported the medics as well, a very close friend who unfortunately isn’t with us now due to a brain bleed(not connected with the sport) he was Colin McRae’s 2nd back up team leader, when they were working flat out, my friend was the night shift or the s++t shift workers. Those days were absolutely insane and out of control but in reflection they were the best days I ever spent, apart from being a forensic vehicle inspector for the police. Now there’s a story! Or three, enjoy your weekend!

Post #437059 14th Nov 2023 11:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234