Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Removing a Stripped Torx Filler Plug
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Can you cut a slot in the head with a Dremel etc. I had to do that to remove a roof rack bolt which snapped off. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #434644 2nd Aug 2023 10:47 pm
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

There is only about 5 mm of metal to drill into so not breaking thru will be very challenging.

Good luck

Paul

PS the Dremel slot may be the way to go (good suggestion LiteWater). As for heating with a torch be careful not to get too hot transmission fluid will burn if you get it hot enough.

Post #434646 3rd Aug 2023 1:11 am
CaptainBarnacles

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Some great info there Paul, many thanks.

I had a look today and the fill plug is circled in red. I can't get anything on it as it's set lower than the lump outlined in green. I think that the idea of welding a nut to the top of the plug is probably the way to go though I'm not looking forward to doing it.

I was wondering if the lump outlined in green is (easily) removable to give easier access to the plug? 2010 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #434676 3rd Aug 2023 5:42 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Yes it is removable. I removed mine when I was investigating coolant leaks.

For information only, it wasn't the module that caused the leak, it was the thermostat housing

Post #434679 3rd Aug 2023 6:33 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

CaptainBarnacles wrote:

I had a look today and the fill plug is circled in red. I can't get anything on it as it's set lower than the lump outlined in green. I think that the idea of welding a nut to the top of the plug is probably the way to go though I'm not looking forward to doing it.

I was wondering if the lump outlined in green is (easily) removable to give easier access to the plug?

The flat plug looks like it will accommodate a pretty big nut welded on. I'd be confident that it will come out easily enough. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #434683 3rd Aug 2023 8:40 pm
Grue

New Zealand 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

Yeah, those filler plug fairy's come out at night and torque up those bolts NO MATTER HOW GENTLE you are with them. It's crazy.

And I've found that shudder fix cured my shuddering nicely for the last 2 years (needed 2 tubes). Might be a band-aid, sure, but it was a cost i'm happy to have kicked down the road to the point where it if died tomorrow i'd be able to find the coin to fix it. (I did do multiple fluid changes to the first to get it clean, with no improvement, THEN added the shudder fix.... smooth sailing since).

Post #434696 4th Aug 2023 9:05 am
CaptainBarnacles

Lightwater wrote:
Can you cut a slot in the head with a Dremel etc. I had to do that to remove a roof rack bolt which snapped off.

I'm not sure whether it would provide enough strength to remove it. We had a 3' breaker bar on it and it still wouldn't shift. Earlier in the thread someone suggested a similar thing and then use an air chisel on it to try and jolt it free. I haven't ruled that idea out yet but I suspect that welding a nut to it might be the way to go. I just need to get my welding head on again, I haven't welded anything for a couple of years so i might try a couple of practice runs first. 2010 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #434705 4th Aug 2023 10:56 am
CaptainBarnacles

Bobupndown wrote:
CaptainBarnacles wrote:

I was wondering if the lump outlined in green is (easily) removable to give easier access to the plug?

The flat plug looks like it will accommodate a pretty big nut welded on. I'd be confident that it will come out easily enough.

Yeah, I think that's the way I'm going to go with it. Presumably bigger is better (within reason!) when it comes to nut size? Rolling Eyes 2010 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #434706 4th Aug 2023 10:59 am
CaptainBarnacles

Grue wrote:
Yeah, those filler plug fairy's come out at night and torque up those bolts NO MATTER HOW GENTLE you are with them. It's crazy.

And I've found that shudder fix cured my shuddering nicely for the last 2 years (needed 2 tubes). Might be a band-aid, sure, but it was a cost i'm happy to have kicked down the road to the point where it if died tomorrow i'd be able to find the coin to fix it. (I did do multiple fluid changes to the first to get it clean, with no improvement, THEN added the shudder fix.... smooth sailing since).

I could not believe how tight it was! Someone suggested a wrap of PTFE tape when fitting the new plug, that sounds like a good idea as long as it doesn't have some sort of reaction with the ATF.

I am really heartened to hear that the shudder fix fluid worked for you. I've heard mixed reports so I'm just hoping it does the trick for me too. If I can get another year or two out of it I reckon it'll be time to replace the car by then anyway. 2010 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #434707 4th Aug 2023 11:04 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Is it possible to get a small drill in there.

If so, drill 2 holes through a small metal block & a slot in the back for drive.

Line up small block & drill a few mm into flange. Put a pin in that hole, back end of drill bit will do.

Drill through second hole in block into flange on opposite side. Use another drill bit, back end for pin.

Then you have a key which you can then drive the back of. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #434711 4th Aug 2023 12:05 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Do you have access to an air chisel? A correctly placed air chisel bit will have it off in a few seconds.
Even a chisel and hammer should do it, but an air chisel will be faster. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #434715 4th Aug 2023 1:35 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

CaptainBarnacles wrote:
Bobupndown wrote:
CaptainBarnacles wrote:

The flat plug looks like it will accommodate a pretty big nut welded on. I'd be confident that it will come out easily enough.

Yeah, I think that's the way I'm going to go with it. Presumably bigger is better (within reason!) when it comes to nut size? Rolling Eyes

I'd say so, bigger the nut the bigger the hole to fill with weld. I'd use an M16 nut and welder turned up high. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #434716 4th Aug 2023 1:39 pm
merlinj79

United States 2008 LR2 i6 S Auto Tambora Flame

I'd try cutting a small notch in the edge so you can seat an air chisel. Heat the surrounding metal gently with a torch, then try to impact chisel it loose. As was mentioned you can try a hammer and chisel, plus elbow grease.

If that doesn't work, weld a big hex nut on. Bigger is better up to the outer diameter of the flange on the torx nut... the inner circumference of the hex nut is the linear length of the weld seam you'll achieve. Longer seam = stronger hold. Prep both surfaces before welding. I might try an impact wrench once you get the nut welded on.

Remove that module if you need room.

Again heat the area around the nut before you try, aluminum expands more than steel.

Post #434725 5th Aug 2023 1:26 am
AJ918

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Did you ever get the filler plug out, if so which method did you use. Sharing this information may help others in the future.

Post #435010 18th Aug 2023 6:03 pm
CaptainBarnacles

Since I last posted in this thread there have been a few developments Shocked

Firstly, I ordered a replacement fill plug and it took around 6 weeks to arrive which was ok as there was no great hurry. Then a few weeks ago my engine stopped mysteriously and to cut a long story short it was a valve that had dropped down into the cylinder and mangled the bore. After a lot of deliberation I decided to replace the engine and while the engine is out I've also had the TC rebuilt.

As I'm getting ready to start reassembling everything I knew I was going to have to top up the ATF so the fill cap had to come off. I cleaned it up, protected the area with wet rags and welded a big nut to it. I was all set with my breaker bar but it wasn't needed as I could have almost undone the nut with my fingers. Clearly the heat had broken the hold on it.

A big thanks to all who contributed to this. I would have probably preferred to have gone the air chisel route but as I don't have a compressor let alone an air chisel that wasn't an option. Hopefully the heat from the welding hasn't had any other consequences.

2010 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #436929 10th Nov 2023 6:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>