Home > Technical > power steering problems
Any steering issues?
no problems yet (low miles)
48%
 48%  [62]
no problems after more than 45,000 miles
10%
 10%  [13]
problems fixed (or dealer is sorting it out)
27%
 27%  [36]
problems still unresolved
13%
 13%  [18]
Total Votes: 129

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Print this entire topic · 
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

It will be compleatly pointless, useless and daft to fit a new steering rack with out at least fitting a new oil resivour and flushing the system.
The whine you are getting is the pump trying to pull oil from the resivour. This whine is caused by the filter "which can not be removed for cleaning" getting blocked. With engine running remove power steering cap of resivour, you should see a smooth calm controled flow of oil, if it is airiated and looks like a volcano erupting theres the problem.
Trouble is if left like this the pump will be damaged and will also need replacing. Thumbs Up

Post #136641 18th Mar 2012 9:10 am
IPC001

United Kingdom 
Power steering problems

Power steering noisy at parking speed at about 35k miles. At 40k miles lost power steering assistance intermittently at low speeds, very disconcerting.

Reviewed this forum and other sources so expecting to have to pay for reservoir, pump and possibly new rack.
Authorised service agent said just reservoir and rack needed replaced as pump seemed ok.

I asked for Land Rover contribution and with great help from dealer I got everything done for free !.

Many thanks to Taylor's of Great Dunmow and Land Rover.

Post #166923 11th Jan 2013 7:10 pm
choplee

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

superspark wrote:
It will be compleatly pointless, useless and daft to fit a new steering rack with out at least fitting a new oil resivour and flushing the system.
The whine you are getting is the pump trying to pull oil from the resivour. This whine is caused by the filter "which can not be removed for cleaning" getting blocked. With engine running remove power steering cap of resivour, you should see a smooth calm controled flow of oil, if it is airiated and looks like a volcano erupting theres the problem.
Trouble is if left like this the pump will be damaged and will also need replacing. Thumbs Up

i have just started getting a louder whine at 46k ..i have bubbles in fluid top up when running ...
So is it a drop out of fluids replace the bowl and or does the wynn's conditioner work or worth a try ..????
Sad

Post #199618 16th Sep 2013 9:18 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

unless wynns can unblock the filter it is a waste of time and money in this instance.

Best option is replace header tank (bowl?) an oil.
Quick and dirty option, rip out the filter from the header tank - use a screwdriver and replace oil. working on the principle that the Censored blocked filter is doing more damage than dirty oil. It should get you through a few days until you get the chance to do the job properly. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #199728 17th Sep 2013 8:32 pm
choplee

cheers andy Smile .......got the reservoir yesterday and steering fluid from land rover and going to fit it today ..... Thumbs Up

it's only been whinging and whining for about 50 miles ,so fingers crossed the flush out and replacement parts help

Post #199764 18th Sep 2013 7:57 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Don't want to worry you but mine whinged for about a mile and a half before the pump siezed.

Then again it did have to whinge above meatloaf on 30-max from the CD player Shocked Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #199778 18th Sep 2013 9:31 am
choplee

Aaarrrrrrr ... Better call the wife and tell her not to drive it to work ... Sad
Knowing my luck the pump will give out on the 2 mile drive getting to me .. Lol

Post #199779 18th Sep 2013 9:39 am
choplee

Just thought i'd keep you guys in the loop ..... flushed the pipework and replaced the reservoir... the wife took back delivery of the fl2 and it's as quite as a door mouse and she is very happy ...( brownie points for me).... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

thanks guys for your input and a very good forum indeed Bow down

ps....i cut the old one apart and the filter in it was blocked beyond belief ...

Post #199797 18th Sep 2013 1:15 pm
urassa

Kenya 
Re: power steering problems

i have fixed the new stearing rack and stearing pump but the car is just bring the fault of stearing angle sensor what can I do to solve this

Post #200057 20th Sep 2013 11:24 am
frus75

Spain 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

My dear friends, I have an i6 with 105000 miles. Steering is smooth, but there's a whining only when I turn left and only if I'm stationary. I've made the reservoir change and it's the same. The main issue is that as I said it only "cries" if I turn left and that also as I stated steering is smooth, light as ever. Any idea? Thanks in advance

Post #244682 12th Dec 2014 8:17 pm
frus75

Spain 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Just to answer myself and I think it'll be of interest. Took it to the dealer. They kept it for half an hour and repaired it for free. It seems the brake disc has some kind of protection and that protection seems to be a bit too near to some parts (maybe the steering pump??) and the guy told that it slightly touches and produces a whine that sounds like pump failure.

Post #245214 16th Dec 2014 7:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456