Home > Technical > power steering problems
Any steering issues?
no problems yet (low miles)
48%
 48%  [62]
no problems after more than 45,000 miles
10%
 10%  [13]
problems fixed (or dealer is sorting it out)
27%
 27%  [36]
problems still unresolved
13%
 13%  [18]
Total Votes: 129

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Just had new rack fitted but no resevoir or pump. This was after complaining about low speed intermittant heavy steering and some whining.

Steering is now lighter but the whine is still there... could this be the auto box as others have described? or is it still the dodgy resevoir? Interestingly when I took it it they had to get an engineer out from the warranty company and in the end LandRover paid %50 as mine was showing symptons described in the Sevice Bulletin but fell just outside the vin range!

I have however noticed that when under strain it will make a funny squeaky noise that sounds like it is coming from the steering column when turning right, for example if stationary and turing the wheel Shocked I've had a quick look around and cannot see anything amiss other than the fluid is right to the top (way aboe the limit on the resevoir) could this be the sound of fluid returning and 'blowing' across the top of the resevoir or do you think I am looking at something more sinister? I'm gonna try and syphon some of the fluid when I get chance... in the mean time I'll see how it goes.

Other than that it drives fine ! Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #95113 13th Mar 2011 10:22 pm
Captain Worm

Update: drained some of the fluid and I still get the noise and I now think that the steering is starting to loose power assistance.... Could it be my pump pump on the way also??? Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #96300 24th Mar 2011 1:11 am
themightymcphed

My steering seems to be getting heavier, especially with fast turning at low road speeds. I don't feel any knocking etc. There is a noise coming from the steering wheel when it is turned. It's been there since I got the car. Sounds almost like there is a wee motor in the steering column. Makes a muffelled wii - woo noise! Laughing Is this noise normal for Freelanders? Or is this the whiny noise people mention when the steering is on it's way out?

Cheers As a man thinketh, in his heart so is he

Post #99316 20th Apr 2011 10:49 am
EYorkshire

I can only say what mine sounds like as a comparison. Completely silent whilst turning but I can hear the hydraulic relief when fully locked which I would term as normal.

Post #99318 20th Apr 2011 11:03 am
Captain Worm

Ive had a new rack and now resevoir and mine still does the same... I am told (and I did drive a few) that it is characteristic of the Freelander to make a slight noise when under load (for example if stationary and you hold some pressure on the wheel, particularily turning right, you will hear a slight hissing sound) Mine on the other hand makes a real loud hissing / bubbling sound which I am told is the pump being starved of oil on the return ????

Either way I have now managed to convince my local garage to replace the pump which also is now audible when applying pressure on the wheel, fingers crossed the pump will do it!!

I'll let you know when its done and if it has improved things Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #99332 20th Apr 2011 1:58 pm
themightymcphed

Good luck!

Mines goes in next week to get looked at for the intermittent heaviness As a man thinketh, in his heart so is he

Post #99333 20th Apr 2011 2:34 pm
Liverpool Les

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 SD4 HST Auto Zermatt Silver
Freelander 2

Has anyone had a problem with there power steering fluid being contaminated with water. Land rover are not honouring the warranty the are saying the fluid is emulsified .Also the pump is noisy and the steering is locking up due to the water in the reservoir thus causing the problems.Still fighting on as the vehicle has been serviced by them from new

Last edited by Liverpool Les on 14th Mar 2012 12:49 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #134392 2nd Mar 2012 5:34 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

mine had new rack, pump and resevouir at 17000 miles . started making loads of whining !

Post #134400 2nd Mar 2012 6:10 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Mine is whinning and rattling a right gooden at the mo, going in on the 12th march if it lasts that long!

Post #134404 2nd Mar 2012 6:21 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

new poll, age rather than miles
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic11465.html At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #134430 2nd Mar 2012 8:23 pm
redlabel

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Got the heavy steering and the sound Changed the reservoar and the fluid, but it didn't help. Guess I'll have to take it to the garage. Mine is a 2007 with 72000km.
Will LR cover any of this outside of warrenty? FL2, TD4 HSE
The flaming Orange!

Post #136390 16th Mar 2012 10:03 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

My car is in the garage now, for paint, and the satnav north issue i have

whilst in i asked them to check my power steering as i noticed the reservoir was low, turns out there was a slight leak in the pipes

Post #136393 16th Mar 2012 10:47 am
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

i was told by the dealer service dept when i enquired about this problem b4 i bought my freelander it was only early production vehicles that were affected and none of the later ones as it was a manufacture fault with weld splatter in the rack is this the case or is it wider than first thought Question rainy-city
xs

Post #136402 16th Mar 2012 11:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
redlabel

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Is there a service bullitin I can refer to that might give me a chance to claim something from LR? FL2, TD4 HSE
The flaming Orange!

Post #136421 16th Mar 2012 1:36 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

bigalf1961 wrote:
i was told by the dealer service dept when i enquired about this problem b4 i bought my freelander it was only early production vehicles that were affected and none of the later ones as it was a manufacture fault with weld splatter in the rack is this the case or is it wider than first thought Question

Depends what you call early - mines a March 2008 and had the rack, pump, reservoir and pipes done under warranty when it was between 2 and 3 years old. Also had the tensioner and belt changed at the same time as the tensioner failing is what caused the heavy steering and the vast amount of noise.
Only when the tensioner was changed could you (not me as I tend to have the finess of a gorilla) tell that the rack/pump were shot.

When it comes to warranty - if it's been dealer serviced you stand some chance of a contribution.
In the UK fitness for purpose under the sale of goods act also could be barganing point as I think that cars should be fit for purpose for 5 years (please feel free to correct), service items excepted. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #136633 18th Mar 2012 7:46 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>