Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Insurance cost inflation...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
theglassman

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White
Insurance cost inflation...

Hi all.... I've just received my insurance renewal invitation from Direct Line, with whom I've been for several years. The premium for an unchanged spec and no claims etc., has gone from £418 to £547 (+31%) without comment or any attempt at explanation. Censored
When I called them they blamed the 'cost and difficulty of obtaining spares' and effectively said take it or leave it.
Any recommendations/comments please?

77year old driver, clean licence, 9 years NCD, 4000 miles pa, secure private parking, rural location. MY14 SD4 Metropolis. I've decided to stop being a good example and will now just be a terrible warning.....
2008 TD4HSE - gone but much loved.
2014MY SD4 Metropolis - very much loved.

Post #431407 4th Apr 2023 9:39 am
Cherokee

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

Definitely leave it! As it looks like you have fallen out of there target demographic.

I'm with Aviva & do it all online and the premium is £210 with protected no claims etc, excess £150, I'm 58 accident free (touch wood) & conviction free for 10 years plus.

2010 HSE TD4 manual & do about 5k miles a year.

Cheers
Brian Cool

Post #431408 4th Apr 2023 9:56 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Enter details on either or both Confused.com or comparethemarket.com or one of the many comparison sites. I ended up with the AA at £277 comp plus a £20 gift voucher. Age 77 to include spouse and 15plus years ncd. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #431410 4th Apr 2023 10:08 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

That seems expensive insurance, but I think premiums go up when you are over 70.
Does that include breakdown cover?

I was with LV for several years and paid £187 last year
(64 yr, max protected NCD, No claims /convictions, 5000 miles pa, Fully Comp, SD&P, legal cover, CV9 post code, private drive, - no breakdown cover).

But this year LV wanted £100 more. So I shopped around and got same cover from Halifax for £198. Jules

Post #431413 4th Apr 2023 11:05 am
theglassman

Just tried Aviva Direct online and they quoted £757 FFS! I've decided to stop being a good example and will now just be a terrible warning.....
2008 TD4HSE - gone but much loved.
2014MY SD4 Metropolis - very much loved.

Post #431426 4th Apr 2023 2:58 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Just renewed my i6 with Direct line for £257.00 I'm 65 with full no claims, clean license, 10,000 miles, parked on drive on the outskirts of large city. £290 more seems like a right rip off. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #431434 4th Apr 2023 7:19 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Glassman - why not use comparison websites as I've detailed above. I reiterate, I'm the same age as you live just outside of Stroud (Gloucestershire)and renewed last month at £277. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #431440 4th Apr 2023 8:31 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I would echo Tenets advice . I’ve just insured my new car . The broker that I’ve extolled before as great , friendly , best to deal with , apparently wanted to rob me blind ! Adding £250 to a quote I received last month ! In the end I received a great quotation from LV ! who knows what algorithms these companies use when quoting insurance . I thought quoting better rates for new customers had ended , but to me it still seems the only thing to do is put a day aside every year , hit the comparison sites , hit the direct insurers . The one thing about being retired is having the time to do that . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #431449 5th Apr 2023 6:00 am
IanMetro

I seem to have the most expensive policy invented with a Saga Plus - £876.

I am 81 with 14 years protected NCD, with 1 Windscreen replacement showing in last 5 years. (+Clean Licence)

I had a shock last year when I took my wife off the policy (as she has stopped driving) and my premium went up by £198. They said that it was because we could no longer share driving on long journeys.

Otherwise before the increase I was reasonably happy as the policy has quite a few add-ons.

I would be interested to know what the low quotes mentioned above cover, as I have only had similar low figures quoted on 'classic' very low mileage usage cars that I have owned in the past. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #431457 5th Apr 2023 9:29 am
Cherokee

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

Good points posted above.

I hate to be "ist" but sounds like it is age related, as posted above my premium is £210 based on max NCD, myself as main driver & wifey as named driver (even though she has ever driven it once as she hates "big cars" Rolling Eyes ), she drives a Fiat 500 - enough said, but i digress. With windscreen cover and protected NCD (the one thing I didn't bother with is legal cover), I've just turned 58.

Sounds like I'm still classed as " young un" compared to all you oldies out there Very Happy

Cheers
Brian Cool

Post #431458 5th Apr 2023 9:57 am
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

IanMetro wrote:

I am 81 with 14 years protected NCD, with 1 Windscreen replacement showing in last 5 years. (+Clean Licence)

I had a shock last year when I took my wife off the policy (as she has stopped driving) and my premium went up by £198. They said that it was because we could no longer share driving on long journeys.

Otherwise before the increase I was reasonably happy as the policy has quite a few add-ons.

I would be interested to know what the low quotes mentioned above cover, as I have only had similar low figures quoted on 'classic' very low mileage usage cars that I have owned in the past.
well put her back on then!

Post #431475 5th Apr 2023 8:39 pm
Mowog

Re: Insurance cost inflation...

theglassman wrote:
Hi all.... I've just received my insurance renewal invitation from Direct Line, with whom I've been for several years. The premium for an unchanged spec and no claims etc., has gone from £418 to £547 (+31%) without comment or any attempt at explanation. Censored
When I called them they blamed the 'cost and difficulty of obtaining spares' and effectively said take it or leave it.
Any recommendations/comments please?

77year old driver, clean licence, 9 years NCD, 4000 miles pa, secure private parking, rural location. MY14 SD4 Metropolis.

Same age,same car, same n.c.b.,same miles,same parking, same location….L.V. Slightly cheaper than last year……..under 400 quid.

Post #431478 5th Apr 2023 9:12 pm
Mowog

IanMetro wrote:

I would be interested to know what the low quotes mentioned above cover, as I have only had similar low figures quoted on 'classic' very low mileage usage cars that I have owned in the past.

I was with NFU National Farmers Union paying through the nose for imagined “better cover”
Two years ago changed to LV for both cars, HALF THE PRICE FOR SAME COVER.renewal this year cheaper than last year exactly the same cover 😳

Post #431481 5th Apr 2023 9:20 pm
IanMetro

sid wrote:
well put her back on then!

Unfortunately after giving up her own car several years ago and not wishing to drive, my wife allowed her licence to lapse.

Mowog - You are right, I will be spending a bit of time investigating some other providers this year. This year the the premium change was sprung on me after I changed my wife's status on the policy.

Thanks for the replies. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #431485 5th Apr 2023 11:10 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Saga has undoubtedly got the best policy on the market . However the company has gone down hill rapidly since it was floated on the stock market share price fallen by 90% . I’ve still got shares in it , but only so I can write off the huge losses against new capital gains . The demise started with a new CEO called Lance Bachelor and hasn’t stopped . They have sold one of their tailor made holiday companies , they are trying to sell off their insurance business , one bidder an Aussie company has just pulled out . Their two new cruise ships have to be paid for and massive finance was put in place to keep them sitting there through Covid , they’ve only just started in earnest .

They wanted to increase my Subaru policy by £200 so I left them 12 months ago .

Best policy on the market yes , but you’re paying for bad management decisions , not cover . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #431488 6th Apr 2023 6:24 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>