« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Dead Freelander 2?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rhidd

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Ipanema Sand
Dead Freelander 2?

Morning all, just looking for advice on my 07 my Freelander 2 i have my cam belt and water pumped changed in april in an indie garage had no real issues until October when my car just out of the blue died on me and wouldn't start up again i called recovery and got toad back to my property recovery truck advised that the car has lost all compression and was suggested that it was caused by the cam belt. I contacted the indie garage to see if it was a warranty claim issue so it has been with them for a few weeks now. I have spoken to the garage and been advised that the cam belt is fine and they have found that the engine chain has shattered and damaged the pistons and will now cost over 2 grand to fix just looking for advise on this as i was under the impression it had a run safe engine any advice would be appreciated

Post #427785 14th Dec 2022 1:27 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

What's a "run safe engine"?

I presume they mean the camshaft chain. The cambelt (13) drives one of the two camshafts from the crankshaft. The camshaft are coupled by a chain (no 2), so one drives the other.

There is also a separate chain for the oil pump.

What's the engine mileage ? Has it had regular oil & filter changes ?
You wouldn't inspect the camshaft chain whilst changing the cambelt. So unless it was rattling badly you wouldnt know I guess. Jules

Post #427786 14th Dec 2022 2:00 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I suspect by "run safe engine" the OP means that the engine isn't an interference type.

IE when the timing belt/chain snaps the valves don't come down low enough to meet the pistons coming up.

Fairly sure that is not the case, and that the valves can occupy the same space as the pistons if the valve timing isn't right. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #427787 14th Dec 2022 2:07 pm
Rhidd

Thanks for the reply jules and andy just wasnt sure wether this woild of been caused by over tightening when the new cam belt was fitted but these things happen

Post #427788 14th Dec 2022 2:19 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Rhidd wrote:
Thanks for the reply jules and andy just wasnt sure wether this woild of been caused by over tightening when the new cam belt was fitted but these things happen

Are you sure the indi is telling you the truth? It's very unusual for the link timing chain to fail.
If it has failed, then only the inlet valve train will be damaged, as the exhaust cam is driven by the timing belt directly.

It shouldn't cost £2k to repair, but it's good 15 hours work.
The valves are about £18 each, you could need 4 to 6, a head gasket set with bolts is under £200 and you might also need some rockers, which are about £10 IIRC, and the chain itself which is about £40.

This assumes the timing chain has failed and not the belt due to incorrect fitting. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #427796 14th Dec 2022 5:56 pm
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

May be they looked at the job and thought don’t fancy doing that so price it at over 2 grand in hope they don’t want it done, in the event that they do it’s a decent earner

Post #427807 14th Dec 2022 9:47 pm
Rhidd

Nodge68 wrote:
Rhidd wrote:

Are you sure the indi is telling you the truth? It's very unusual for the link timing chain to fail.
If it has failed, then only the inlet valve train will be damaged, as the exhaust cam is driven by the timing belt directly.

It shouldn't cost £2k to repair, but it's good 15 hours work.
The valves are about £18 each, you could need 4 to 6, a head gasket set with bolts is under £200 and you might also need some rockers, which are about £10 IIRC, and the chain itself which is about £40.

This assumes the timing chain has failed and not the belt due to incorrect fitting.

Nice one nod for the advise i know when they changed the cam belt he also changed the sprocket because he said it was chipped so my thinking was that he over tensioned the cam belt what was making me think the cam belt had gone but there claiming the cam belt is fine so until i get down there and see some evidence i can only go by what there saying. Thanks again for the response

Post #427811 14th Dec 2022 11:24 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

That doesn't sound right to me. "chipped sprocket " ??? Confused
If you mean the camchain sprocket then how would they know if only changing the cambelt - the sprockets are inside the head and you would not see them just changing the cambelt.

Click image to enlarge

If you mean the cambelt pulley was chipped then that is just weird to me.

Im sure Nodge can add some of his experience in these matters.

PS If you havent already, download the freebie JLR workshop manual - the pictures and explanations are really good and help to stop one being bullshitted Jules

Post #427848 15th Dec 2022 7:51 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

I'd be unlikely for the belt pulley to be damaged in use. The upper pulley is made of sintered iron, which is very resistant to wear but can be chipped and damaged if dropped or treated roughly.
In normal use it's impossible for it to be damaged.

Something sounds fishy about this place, so I'd want a second opinion. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #427868 16th Dec 2022 3:43 pm
Rhidd

Thank you all for the responses i will be taking it all on board once i can get down to pick it up and get the garage.

Post #427869 16th Dec 2022 4:16 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

You can't really over tension the cam belt either. The tensioner is spring loaded and applies, presumably the correct, force against the belt. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #427871 16th Dec 2022 4:28 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1