« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Which motor is best?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
john_boy1959

Australia 
Which motor is best?

Hi everyone, newby John here from Brisbane, Australia.

Into my grandpa years now carting grand children around and finding my little 130i BMW a tad small now.

Quite like my daughter’s 2008 Si6 but would prefer 2013 facelift version as it’s quite a smart car now both inside and out!

Anyway, wanted some opinion on the Si4 versus either the TD4 or SD4 engines. I’ll only occasionally be going onto rough roads so most of my use will be suburban and highway driving. I’m leaning towards the Si4 as it’s quieter I’m told? From what I’ve read so far, it seems both tend to need turbo/exhaust manifold replacement every 100-150,000km?? That about right?

Post #426378 1st Nov 2022 7:07 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

I can't comment on the Si4 as it's not a UK variant, we got the i6 for a couple of years. However the most common was the diesel simply because its much better on fuel. The diesel is also able to do huge mileage before issues arise, and even turbo issues aren't common, often doing well in excess of 150k miles.
Timely oil changes are vital for long engine life.

The AWD system is generally more troublesome than the diesel engine, which would apply to all variants. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #426401 1st Nov 2022 6:10 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Totally agree with Nodge Jules

Post #426407 1st Nov 2022 7:11 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I have the Si4 it is a great engine, but look at Ford forums on the 2.0L ecoboost engine for that era for particular issues. It is more thirsty than the diesel, but if you are worried it is the wrong car. I mostly use 98 in my car, the extra price you pay is offset but the extra mileage. I did the same in my previous car.

If you do a lot of start stopping city driving you are going to use a lot of petrol. It's a heavy car to get going. Modest city traffic density about 17L/100 heavy 20L/100, highway driving at 95 kph about 10L/100 without stuff on the roof. Avoid doing 110 kph if you worried about fuel consumption,
like everyone else in the outback.

The petrol engine probably isn't any quieter than the diesel, it is just operating at a higher frequency, but that is a bit easier to control with additional accoustic insulation.

If you are using all terrain tyres then I suggest you add acoustic insulation. With road tyres which are new the car is pretty quiet.

You will like the elevated view, kids will like the rear as the seats are 50mm higher. It is also nice not to have to get "up" out of a car.

Acoustic insulation thread: https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic33026.html Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #426416 1st Nov 2022 9:34 pm
john_boy1959

Australia 

Thanks for the reply guys. As it’s mainly for city/suburban driving and I can do the servicing myself, I’ll start looking for a TD4 or SD4😃

Post #426437 2nd Nov 2022 11:53 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Be warned the later diesel FL2s have a DPF and they don't like lots of short stop-start journeys; they clog up and you need a longer higher speed journey for the PDF regeneration to have time to burn out the soot from the DPF. Jules

Post #426439 2nd Nov 2022 12:07 pm
john_boy1959

Australia 

Ok, thanks

Post #426459 2nd Nov 2022 8:09 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1