Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
went to JLR dealer to buy parts

"
Only to be told JLR dont really do parts anymore."
This was after wandering around the dealership both inside and out looking for a parts counter !
ignored by more than 20 people in suits and in glass rooms and walked past a whole plethra of people sitting at their desks either on mobiles or business phones.
Eventually someone came to the rescue, to then find a salesman, who was then asked to go and stir someone in parts as apparently they will never answer their phone !
I was told to go and take a seat in a waiting area, that was another 10 mins reading an old classic car magazine.
A guy finally wandered out all the way across from parts, across a service road and all the way to the customer waiting area.
wouldn't let me do anything until he had my name and e-mail address. then asked for an oil filter as needed to purchase plus a quote for another part, only for him to walk all the way back with a quote for an oil filter, I laughed as I explained I needed one .
so off he went again, then I had to meet him at a counter , then he went to find a card machine, god thats almost an hour just for an oil filter !
His explanation " JLR don't really do parts anymore"

Then he asked if I was interested in buying a Jaguar/Landrover to which I replied not if I cant buy genuine parts for them anymore,
Why are these dealers so up themselves that they cant even bring themselves to speak to you unless your dressed in a suit and gold bangles everywhere and a carrier bag full of cash

Oh and I'm still waiting for a quote for a part thats £1080.00 quid, not holding my breath Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #424500 22nd Aug 2022 6:24 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Don't want dirty oily oiks in overalls messing up the shiny glass and chrome. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #424502 22nd Aug 2022 6:31 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

There is a story that a friend of a friend in his work clothes went into a dealers to look at buying a new DS. You can guess how it ended

Post #424504 22nd Aug 2022 6:37 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Simple - its because its easier to make money from rich people.

Unfortunately Landrover has an unenviable reliability record which will hamper its push towards the Luxury end of the market. Its a Premium marque at best. Jules

Post #424505 22nd Aug 2022 6:39 pm
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

A long while ago now, when my Son's TD4 XS put the MIL lamp on for a low turbo pressure DTC he took it to the local main stealer the "Technician" reported it needed a new oil separator. I insisted I needed to speak to said "Technician" or someone to explain to me how this would rectify the issue. Guess what, they couldn't explain the diagnosis and I couldn't get past the 13 year old in a suit on reception. this was Guy Salmon in Kingston. we took the car away and I reset the MIL lamp. 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Post #424507 22nd Aug 2022 7:03 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I went to our local JLR to ostensibly buy a Defender (the old one) about five years ago although upon taking the driving seat I couldn’t get my feet/shoes under the brake pedal without it badly fouling the under dash trim panel, I had my size 13 steely shoes on, not boots!
Upon pointing this out to the salesman he almost said “well most customers won’t be wearing those” Shocked

As for spares, that doesn’t surprise me at all. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #424508 22nd Aug 2022 7:26 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

By comparison, one of my sons drove into the Porsche dealership in his L200 farm pickup truck and walked in wearing his work clothes and asked for a new battery for his Porsche 911. No problem and they even carried it out for him. Different market I guess but sounds like JLR are trying too hard to be a premium brand. On the other hand we have a 1996 911 worth over £70k in the garage but I can't see any JLR products being that valuable in 25 years time. (Oh and you CAN get the spares ) 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #424509 22nd Aug 2022 7:26 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Believe it or not bicycles are going the same way. Bling bling bike shops with no stock - everything has to be ordered on request. This is going to get worse I think with the move to electronic gear shifting systems - they are reliable when new but are difficult/impossible to repair and expensive. Jules

Post #424510 22nd Aug 2022 7:59 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Try walking into a Subaru dealership . Despite the guys behind the counter seeing you just once a year st service /MoT they will know your name . If the parts guy isn’t at his desk the service chap or a salesman will go find him . Invariably they will have common parts on the shelf , I needed a rear bumper protector to take with me to have a scrape repainted which would invariably result in the old protector bring damaged on removal .. they had it in stock and I had a coffee whist they wandered off to retrieve it .

Most of the customers are farmers , vets , fishermen , shooters , country folk etc , so jeans , shirts and dealer boots are the order of the day . The salesmen don’t wear ties either ! In fact just like LR was 35 years ago !

Big prestige dealerships are there to sell finance with a car attached , nothing else , 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #424512 22nd Aug 2022 8:06 pm
Deano64

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Not been into a main dealer for 6 years and don’t intend to. They were bad in the first 3 years of my ownership but I think they must have got even worse

Post #424515 22nd Aug 2022 8:53 pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Fortunately this is not my experience.
I regularly use LR dealership and they are accommodating and helpful. Mind you it is based in a market town and regularly sees people in wellies.

Post #424516 22nd Aug 2022 8:54 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

This is what we are up against

"Materiality?"

https://twitter.com/i/status/1550752584327053313 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #424520 22nd Aug 2022 9:28 pm
Deano64

This really does want you to separate from the brand ! Will have to think of what next since don’t need too big a car any more

Post #424522 22nd Aug 2022 9:59 pm
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Went to jlr to buy arts

Well, similar experience at a local main dealer in Stoke, I phoned first ahead for availability and ordered the parts which were the automatic gearbox fill, drain plugs some six quids worth of items to be asked we can either deliver them or post?
I declined as seeing them first plus a wonder around the showroom is like a kid in a toy shop.

The day arrived as alerted by text, arrived at said dealership and met by an annoying lady on reception who asked me of my reason for visiting as I was wearing tidy jeans and a Honda T shirt, being my comfortable T shirt and a gift from John McGuiness aka the famous TT rider a friend who I met once at a charity party.

She was awkward and advised me to wait in the although empty car handover space, I declined and said No, I will wait while viewing the sales cars, she advised me that there is no parts counter and it’s dealership rules no parts are to be seen in the customer areas,

So I spent my time viewing the sales cars, flashy accessories and drinking copious amounts of hot chocolate as their coffee and tea were awful, I eventually was awarded with my ordered parts of minimal size and cost to be frowned on and really felt Not welcome.

With a similar experience in Cumbria purchasing a high level brake light bulb of awkward wattage, (not available at Halfords) from a main dealer having a shared service desk and parts, although staff were available I was blatantly ignored and eventually I asked for a manager to be told he’s on holiday, so who’s in charge? I am he said, So why did you ignore me and serve a chap who walked in after me?
His reply was, well he’s a customer, Well I am really I own a freelander 2, No he said he purchased the car from here, you didn’t.
I am slowly becoming or realising that certain LR or Jaguar dealerships are quite rude and are not welcoming to us peasants who would like or prefer sometimes genuine parts for our hard working motors!

Post #424523 22nd Aug 2022 10:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Deano64

Ordering on line seems the way to go. I never want to go to main Jlr dealer again. However, even the lr Indy I used to go to was turning into similar ways. All of this is accelerating my decision to get rid of mine, even though it’s just been serviced and the Haldex fixed.

Post #424526 22nd Aug 2022 10:43 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>