Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

dorsetfreelander wrote:
This is what we are up against

"Materiality?"

https://twitter.com/i/status/1550752584327053313

OMG I couldnt watch more than a few seconds (where's the vomit emoticon ?) Jules

Post #424527 22nd Aug 2022 9:59 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White
Re: went to JLR dealer to buy parts

oldgeezer wrote:
Then he asked if I was interested in buying a Jaguar/Landrover to which I replied not if I can't buy genuine parts for them anymore,

My answer: My wife wants is interested in a new Range Rover, once the car is fixed she will drive in to see you! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #424528 22nd Aug 2022 10:07 pm
Lightwater

Re: Went to jlr to buy arts

davyboy wrote:
The day arrived as alerted by text, arrived at said dealership and met by an annoying lady on reception who asked me of my reason for visiting as I was wearing tidy jeans and a Honda T shirt,...

Works both ways. I gave my neighbour my old Land Rover badge engineered starter battery & jumper leads. He went into Honda to solve his car's starter battery problems! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #424529 22nd Aug 2022 10:15 pm
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

For genuine parts I have always had good postal service from Duckworths (site sponsor and don't for get to ask for discount) I have always found them to be helpful on the phone also Thumbs Up 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #424535 23rd Aug 2022 8:01 am
Lightwater

Have to agree with Duckworths postal service. Quicker than getting stuff across Sydney. Ordered Tuesday, received Friday. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #424537 23rd Aug 2022 10:35 am
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Went in to a Main Stealer ONCE years ago as I just happened to be working in the area and needed a part for my Freelander 1 which was still a current model on the forecourt. I was treated first with suspicion, then with disdain . I was constantly looked up and down. Eventually they got the service manager or someone from the service bay to come and "sort me out". After telling the chap what I needed, he then asked if wanted to book in to have the part replaced. When I said I would be fitting it myself, I was told that they only order parts they would be fitting themselves ! (Erdington, Colliers maybe ? Long since gone).
I've been going to John Craddocks for around 28 years now, seen many staff come and go during that time. However, my point is that once they see you on a regular basis, you become part of an experience.Rather than ordering parts online, I take the 14 mile trip over to see them as it's more than just a transaction. There's banter, advice on fitting (more so with my series Landies) and much more.
Even now with my F2, they can still offer me the parts I want. Even if that means ordering it for me.
Such a shame then, that when I collected a replacement coolant hose last week, I was informed that after 50 years , the premises they are in is now too small for all the demand and that are looking, possible as early as next year, on expanding to larger premises, including a dedicated parts warehouse/trade counter, a vehicle sales premises, and one dedicated to on line orders. It will be in the same general area, but I worry that after nearly 30 years, my experience will not be the same . Big Cry

Post #424541 23rd Aug 2022 11:51 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

For a minute there I thought you were about to tell us that Craddocks was closing - heaven forbid.

Colliers - I would often pop into Colliers in Erdington on the way to work to pick up parts for my series Landys. They had a huge revolving shelving system with loads of parts - cant remember ever having to order anything -that was 30 years ago.
I also bought my TD5 disco and 2 FL2s from them and had several Experience days with them at Eastnor Castle.
But Colliers are no more and the nearest Landrover Dealer is now down on the Tyburn Road, from where we bought out last FL2 - not been back once the warranty ran out - all very Cappuccino coffee and wait to be seen by a sales executive.

I prefer Craddocks Jules

Post #424549 23rd Aug 2022 4:59 pm
Deano64

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

I really hated the way I was treated on last visit to main dealer. It was like waiting at the dentist when you sat at the desk to pay your service bill. There were people sat in adjacent seats paying obscene amounts of money for their repairs, many of which I imagine didn’t need doing 😬

Post #424558 23rd Aug 2022 10:06 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

You can blame JLR for this as they force their dealerships to spend loads of £s on fancy showrooms and someone has to pay for it. Unfortunately this culture is becoming endemic across the industry 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #424573 24th Aug 2022 9:47 am
Deano64

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

I know. My wife has BMW and so far the expernce of visiting them is much more acceptable

Post #424575 24th Aug 2022 9:58 am
a100ian

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I have to say I am generally treat well at Stratstone, Stockton-on-Tees. There is a dedicated parts section where you can walk in wearing whatever you like. The parts people are always really helpful especially Jack. Also they have a lot of parts in stock. Just how I have found things.

I have been for mini parts in a BMW garage and it was similar to many of the previous posts.

Post #424582 24th Aug 2022 11:43 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Got the i3 serviced and MoT’ed today, sailed through of course Wink but while supping a cup of quite lovely Mocca in the very swish and shiney BMW main dealer, I noticed next to the five service desks there was actually a “parts desk” with a person sitting there, mind you he wasn’t doing much just gazing at the back of a big Matt grey BMW saloon with MmSport badges and a £156K price on the windscreen Shocked Shocked Shocked

WTF? And I thought new EVs we’re getting to silly prices! Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #424592 24th Aug 2022 5:10 pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Does anyone have the same experience with non land rover main dealers?
I would imagine prices are keen in any dealership and they are probably more interested in you if you want to buy Shocked
Please don't assume i support LR and how they treat people but i bet you get this with most dealers.
As for people waiting to pay hugh amounts isn't this what you do when you buy an over priced battery aka EV Rolling with laughter

Post #424598 24th Aug 2022 6:54 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

No, as I have said before my EV has cost me exactly so far (well four months ago) £160 a month, and it’s all mine not some finance company keeping me dangling on the next payment.

It’s been cheap compared to virtually any other vehicle except maybe a Fiesta, Renault 5 (or whatever it is now) or Fiat piece of Censored .

And as for keeping it on the road, it’s cost me absolutely nothing in spares or bits falling off for over six years from new, you often cannot say that about a certain well known manufacturer from the Midlands Rolling with laughter

Don’t clump me into the population of company “directors” (where is the ahem cough emoji?) and employees with almost zero BIK which they so love and get away without paying a fair share.

Whistle Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #424602 24th Aug 2022 7:48 pm
Blackbird14

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Hi
Just to put a different view on this issue I recently called into main dealer in Stoke as I needed some clips to fasten the trim around the rear hatch. Receptionist called the stores and someone came to ask what I required on showing the part required he went back after suggesting that I sat in the coffee lounge. When he returned he apologised as they no longer had the clip I required but presented me with an alternative and gave me 10 free of charge. Very happy with service.

As for purchasing a car some time ago I went into a VW garage in my old 54 VW Passat and parked in the visitor’s spot on the forecourt. No sooner had I got out of the car than a salesman appeared and asked me to move my car around the back of the garage as the main salesman did not like old cars on the forecourt. I got in my car and left after telling the salesman that they had just lost the sale of a brand new Passat.

So not only Land Rover with high expectations.

Post #424604 24th Aug 2022 8:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>