« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Possible purchase.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Nbuuifx

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

KeithB wrote:
New tyres are on and look good . Tracking checked and corrected (only marginally out-think that was a bit of a con but done now) I think we'll stick with the Hankook spare for the time being. Had a good look at it today and couldn't see any signs of deterioration. Next thing to check is behind the wheel arch liners to see whether any mud has collected and any rust has set in. Has anybody done that?

Yes I've been there, when replacing the rear shocks and rear brakes, I took the liners out, lots of surface rust from trapped mud etc. Must have been a bucket list of mud on each side. Cleaned off the rust, used rust converter and painted with some industrial chassis paint.

With the spare tyre, look for the DOT code on the tyre wall. There are plenty of DOT code calculators on the web which will tell you how old the tyre is. If it is older than 6 years then it shouldn't be used - although as a spare some people are willing to chance it.

Post #422404 15th Jun 2022 8:24 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Northcroft wrote:
I am still trying to come to terms with your claim of 50mpg . . . . if I had got that I would have kept mine Bow down Bow down

50mpg ??

Post #422405 15th Jun 2022 8:27 pm
riverblanche

England 

[quote="Nbuuifx"]

KeithB wrote:

With the spare tyre, look for the DOT code on the tyre wall. There are plenty of DOT code calculators on the web which will tell you how old the tyre is. If it is older than 6 years then it shouldn't be used - although as a spare some people are willing to chance it.

Just been looking for some Winter tyres for the other car and some on the bay of fleas where advertised as "Like New" the DOT code on them was 3602 Shocked Shocked so like new but 20 years old Rolling Eyes

Thumbs Up .
my first ever FL2 and I did keep it longer than most other cars!
But its now gone way up Norf

Post #422406 15th Jun 2022 8:43 pm
Nbuuifx

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Yes I've seen the same when looking.

A local limo company had some discovery tyres for sale which I thought would be perfect for my in-laws. They listed them as brand new and they still had the labels on them etc.

When I looked into the dot codes they came back as 12 years old! So 12 year old brand new tyres 😂

Post #422408 15th Jun 2022 9:13 pm
KeithB

United Kingdom 

Northcroft wrote:
I am still trying to come to terms with your claim of 50mpg . . . . if I had got that I would have kept mine Bow down Bow down

Well it was on the motorway with a 50mph limit for much of the way so not likely to be achievable usually but I was still happy with it. My XF 3 ltr diesel did an indicated 55mpg on the same journey and I don't get that at normal motorway speeds -65/75 mph.

Post #422410 15th Jun 2022 9:53 pm
KeithB

United Kingdom 

With the spare tyre, look for the DOT code on the tyre wall. There are plenty of DOT code calculators on the web which will tell you how old the tyre is. If it is older than 6 years then it shouldn't be used - although as a spare some people are willing to chance it.[/quote]

I suspect it dates back to 2009 when the car was new. In 55yrs of driving I've put a spare on the car once. I think we'll risk it for a while!

Post #422411 15th Jun 2022 9:59 pm
KeithB

United Kingdom 

Sidthecat wrote:
Northcroft wrote:

50mpg ??

I assure you the figure is correct-computer figure slghtly over brim to brim calculation at end of journey, but close enough to 50 to make no difference. As I said earlier the figure was achieved driving mostly on motorways with our speed restricted to 50mph for a lot of the journey which was about 100 miles.

Post #422413 16th Jun 2022 5:43 am
CED

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Bali Blue

I don’t ever get near that figure , I leave the setting showing av mpg and it hardly varies from 38 mpg . It’s gone down to 37.8 this last week with over use of air con I would think, always thought that was reasonable for a manual FL2, and I’ve got a light right foot , and certainly no speed merchant. Oh well must try harder as my school reports said !

Post #422415 16th Jun 2022 7:16 am
KeithB

United Kingdom 

50 mpg was for a single long journey at a fairly constant moderate speed. I don't doubt in every day use the figure will be much lower, probably mid thirties, which will be fine.

Post #422419 16th Jun 2022 12:43 pm
Dartman the one

England 

You can get oddities, I had a 2007 Santa Fe before the Freely, towing 1350kg van, topped up in Amsterdam reset the trip and away we went, built up to 50mpg all the way through Holland and into Belgium to Antwerp where we came to a low bridge, it started counting down very quickly and reached 26 mpg within 20 miles. I put it down to a software glitch my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #422423 16th Jun 2022 4:35 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

There aren’t many journeys where I could do a full tank brim to full tank brim on one day, but the trip from Bristol to half way down the western coast of Loch Fyne is one of them. My FL2 would regularly top 45 mpg doing this run. M5,M6,M74,A8,A82 and A83 at whatever speed the flowing traffic is moving at. Not hanging around but making good progress as conditions allow. Overall over the last 12 years, the fuel consumption measured, not computed by the car, has averaged out at 33.55 mpg. As an aside SWMBO’s fiesta only does about 28 mpg!

Post #422424 16th Jun 2022 7:11 pm
riverblanche

England 

KeithB wrote:
In 55yrs of driving I've put a spare on the car once. I think we'll risk it for a while!

Hi,

you must be the Ying to my Yang Shocked

the same day I had my FL2 dropped off I noticed a nail in the tyre, spare on and trip for a repair, last month bought a D3 first week a screw in a tyre, spare on and puncture repair sorted, week later a nail in the same tyre Censored spare on again and back for another repair, one of the other wheels had some lacquer peel so while I had the spare to hand Rolling Eyes put that on to run round on while I sprayed the wheel

I am all Yanged out now Exclamation so watch out Laughing

Thumbs Up .
my first ever FL2 and I did keep it longer than most other cars!
But its now gone way up Norf

Post #422431 16th Jun 2022 10:45 pm
KeithB

United Kingdom 

BossBob wrote:
There aren’t many journeys where I could do a full tank brim to full tank brim on one day, but the trip from Bristol to half way down the western coast of Loch Fyne is one of them. My FL2 would regularly top 45 mpg doing this run. M5,M6,M74,A8,A82 and A83 at whatever speed the flowing traffic is moving at. Not hanging around but making good progress as conditions allow. Overall over the last 12 years, the fuel consumption measured, not computed by the car, has averaged out at 33.55 mpg. As an aside SWMBO’s fiesta only does about 28 mpg!

And I dare say in achieving 45mpg you weren't limited to 50mph like we were when our 50mpg was recorded. 50 mph must be about the optimal speed for maximising mpg as it gets you into top gear but engine is not working hard at all. In my Jag 50mph is about 1200rpm-not much more than ticking over. I just took the 50mpg as evidence that our Freelander that we'd just picked up was at least running ok

Post #422434 17th Jun 2022 5:59 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Nope, just allowed the speed to build up rather than accelerating hard and reading the road ahead and allowing the speed to drop off rather than braking if at all possible. Saved on brake linings and discs too, only had one set in the 12 years and they weren’t horribly worn by any means!

Post #422437 17th Jun 2022 6:32 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123