« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Handbrake issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bin

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Orkney Grey
Handbrake issues

My FL2 - Basic 12 plate TD4 S no EHB - has probably the most rubbish handbrake I have ever come across.

The best way I can describe it is that it feels 'dead'. Normally with a handbrake you get to a point where it starts to bite then a few notches to go through to full on.

With this car it's nothing to full on - requiring a heap of muscle - in about 2 clicks. It feels like I need an extension on the handbrake lever to give it a bit more feel. Should one need muscles like Popeye to get this handbrake to hold?

I cannot do anything to it myself, but wonder if anyone had any suggestions or quesions that I might pass on to our local garage - who service lots of Landrovers, we're in central Wilts. It's only had basic oil changes during the last 2 years due to minimal mileage, but back to towing the caravan soon and a bit bothered. When I bought it in June 2019 I asked the dealers to check the hb at the time, they said it was all OK - but maybe they would wouldn't they?

Post #421270 15th May 2022 11:34 am
Badger51

Australia 

Whoever looks at it needs to make sure that the cables aren’t seized up. It’s not uncommon & if only one is seized the hb will be rubbish. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #421273 15th May 2022 11:49 am
Nbuuifx

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Where the cable goes into the handbrake drum there is a pivot that it connects to which in turn moves the shoes to press then against the drum.

These pivots seize solid and won't budge under the pressure of the cable.

As the poster said above, if one seizes then you get a rubbish handbrake as most of the force applied goes to trying to move that seized pivot. If both are sized, then you get nothing.

Jack up the rear end, wheels off, back the shoes in using the adjuster through the hole in the disc. Remove the disc. Examine the pivots for movement. Replace as necessary.

Post #421276 15th May 2022 12:04 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

also the handbrake cable gets adjusted with out the shoes being checked that the self adjusters are working, and nothing is seized.so cable must be loosened right off ,shoes adjusted, self adjusters cleaned,then cable re tightened.common fault in workshop practise.

Post #421299 15th May 2022 9:43 pm
bin

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Orkney Grey

All useful ideas - thanks very much. Will try to pass them on tactfully Smile Smile

Post #421312 16th May 2022 9:06 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1