« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > self driving cars - insurance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
self driving cars - insurance

I see there are proposals to allow users of self driving cars to watch TV at the same time.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-61155735

And that "They will also lay out that users of self-driving cars will not be responsible for crashes.
Instead insurance companies, not individuals, will be liable for claims in many circumstances, the DfT said."

That's assuming they are insured in the first place.

With all the new tech being introduced could we not have the vehicles self-checking to see if they are insured, taxed and MOT'd etc and refusing to move if not.

Maybe its time we change to the Australian way where the vehicle is insured not the driver. Seems a much better system to my mind. Jules

Post #420483 20th Apr 2022 9:22 am
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

You'll be allowed to watch the telly but not allowed to phone 'er indoors to say you’ll be a little late as you're taking the long way home to finish watching Zulu or No Time To Die etc. Rolling with laughter

Post #420487 20th Apr 2022 12:44 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

It's already out of date then. Only old fogies watch TV, the youngsters spend all their waking hours on tictok or faceplant or roblox.
Just had a "short" discussion with my youngest, and asked what would happen to a Tesla (other autonomous vehicles are available) if a pedestrian was wearing a "STOP" sign as a Tee shirt? Would the vehicle come to an abrupt halt ? would this cause an accident.

His opinion was that yes Teslas and their like will kill a few people, but in the end fatalities will (should?) be reduced and that justifies the initial deaths. He was being serious. If autonomous cars are going to be difficult, then motorbikes are going to be real fun (it's on the cards) want to see the code that can handle potholes at speed on a corner. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #420489 20th Apr 2022 3:47 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

ANDY wrote If autonomous cars are going to be difficult, then motorbikes are going to be real fun (it's on the cards) want to see the code that can handle potholes at speed on a corner.

I would imagine the response to sudden dangers may be better with electronic automation, and would enable the bikers to ride at even higher speeds, between (say) lanes 2 & 3, of 50 to 60 mph rush hour traffic on the M4. (Over and Undertaking)

The interesting code for bikes would be that dealing with maintaining traction and stability, which I would have thought will be far more complicated than for cars. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #420492 20th Apr 2022 4:36 pm
Grimdog

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Barolo Black
Re: self driving cars - insurance

jules wrote:
I see there are proposals to allow users of self driving cars to watch TV at the same time.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-61155735

And that "They will also lay out that users of self-driving cars will not be responsible for crashes.
Instead insurance companies, not individuals, will be liable for claims in many circumstances, the DfT said."

That's assuming they are insured in the first place.

With all the new tech being introduced could we not have the vehicles self-checking to see if they are insured, taxed and MOT'd etc and refusing to move if not.

Maybe its time we change to the Australian way where the vehicle is insured not the driver. Seems a much better system to my mind.

Jules you only have to look over the channel to see that this is the way to go ! Any of my family members can drive my cars, such a different story when I am in the uk. Even the criminals who steal cars are insured under the insurance agreement. +18 for a girl, + 21 for a boy. Ok I do not agree with the m/f thing, but one of my cars is a Jag XKR soft top. !!!!

Post #420501 20th Apr 2022 11:41 pm
jules

My daughter is in Australia. Her car insurance premium is a lot more than it would be over here but we can drive her car when we visit without any issues. The UK should change to a better system I think. I didn't realise the French do the same. Jules

Post #420507 21st Apr 2022 8:43 am
anglaslt

Lithuania 2015 Freelander 2 2.0T HSE Lux Auto Havana

A lot of countries in Europe insure the car rather than the driver(s).

Here it's a combination of compulsory third party insurance plus a separate optional damage insurance. The cost though is considerably more than in the UK. My Freelander, for example, in total is around 600 Eur a year and Mercedes around 1,200 Eur. It would cost even more for anyone driving under the age of 23.

It is nice though to avoid those endless questions about the drivers' driving history Wink

Many people, even those with expensive cars, chose not to buy damage insurance. driving on the right side

Post #420509 21st Apr 2022 9:55 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I would have a guess that most countries around the world have some kind of annual tax and insurance, on the car, often shown on the number plates.
However we would find it strange as it is only a very basic cover, and you have to buy anything other than 3rd party as an extra.
From what I see (from Canadian experience) National Health Insurance cover is run on the same lines, and is not Comprehensive. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #420531 21st Apr 2022 7:55 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

IanMetro wrote:
[i]ANDY wrote If autonomous cars are going to be difficult, then motorbikes are going to be real fun (it's on the cards) want to see the code that can handle potholes at speed on a corner..

Just needs a seat that can react fast enough to pucker up the annular gland Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #420536 21st Apr 2022 8:49 pm
Grimdog

jules wrote:
My daughter is in Australia. Her car insurance premium is a lot more than it would be over here but we can drive her car when we visit without any issues. The UK should change to a better system I think. I didn't realise the French do the same.

Albeit equivalent of TPFT including all glass, Jag x type estate 2005 200 euro, FL2 TD4 2010 220 euro, Jag XKR Convertible 4.0l 2000, 240 euro ( if my memory serves me correctly ). All of these cars are ANY DRIVER as long as the 18 or 21 age restrictions are adhered to. Kilometres limited to 8k per year on the XKR, although this rolls on with unused km added the following year.
Turn that in to £, and that's just over £500 for 3 cars, any driver! No restrictions on "foreign" travel , unless there is a war in that country. Breakdown regardless of country included.
Still think Brexit it was a good idea?
Policies from AxA.
I could go on...........but talk about rip off Britain!!!!!
When I am in the uk, the cost of being added to family insurance policies is prohibitive, so I normally get lifts or use the limited public transport, though don't try to get to an airport on a Sunday morning !!!!
Post Brexit, I am now unable to buy a vehicle in the UK and drive it back to France, using my French insurance as I used to do, but perhaps I should start a new thread on that ......

Post #420547 22nd Apr 2022 12:50 am
Boxbrownie

Still sulking? Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #420556 22nd Apr 2022 10:35 am
3landertwo

since Brexit, we've never had it so good.

Post #420558 22nd Apr 2022 12:12 pm
Grimdog

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #420559 22nd Apr 2022 1:33 pm
jules

Just in case you were struggling to notice any of the benefits of Brexit, Boris and Co has produced a 105 page document listing them.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/g...brexit.pdf

Ive had a glance at it - it appears largely aspirational and quite a bit has nothing really to do with leaving the EU.
According to my research scientist son, the section on "Quantum Strategies" is not a consequence of Brexit - we were doing all that anyway - only now there is less funding and a smaller pool of young, high quality scientists to recruit from. Jules

Post #420567 22nd Apr 2022 5:11 pm
Boxbrownie

That should give him better prospects at promotion then Rolling with laughter

Shouldn’t we get back to the the OP theme? Thumbs Up Regards

David

Post #420614 23rd Apr 2022 7:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>