« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Slight knocking from front right
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Nbuuifx

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Slight knocking from front right

We've not been able to drive the Freelander on the fields for a few months because it is only running in 2WD (suspected PTU splines) and it has been too wet to be able to drive on.

However it has all dried up nicely now (ground is rock solid) so I got loads of jobs done today. The only bad thing was that the ruts that the tractor had left were deep and solid. I did catch the underside at one point.

All went well though, I managed a couple of wheel spins but that was going over the edge of a muck pile.

Driving after, is gone about 10 miles and I got a bit of knocking from the front drivers side. Fairly smooth road approaching a traffic light slowly. I don't think it was brake related.

Couldn't get it to do it again after!

It sounded like a typical drop link sort of noise but just wanted to see if anyone had had similar?

The MOT tester mentioned that the rear wishbone bush had a slight amount of play and may need attention during the next year. Does that make a noise like this?

Is it worth just replacing the bush (if that can be done?) Or is it better to replace the full wishbone?

I've got to take a fair bit apart on that side I believe to be able to withdraw the drive shaft so that I can have a look at the PTU.

I plan to replace the shocks and droplinks when I look at the PTU, just trying to work out what else should be done!

Thanks

Post #420073 2nd Apr 2022 11:24 pm
Nbuuifx

Went out again today and over a 10 miles trip it only make a noise once. Backing off the throttle no brakes used, slight uneven road, slowing down.

Sounds like drop links or wishbone ball joint to me. Any pointers or advice along these lines?

Post #420093 3rd Apr 2022 5:12 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Are you 100% certain that all dirt/mud/clay/etc. has been removed from the suspension/underbody?

Post #420094 3rd Apr 2022 5:43 pm
Nbuuifx

It didn't come back very dirty as the ground was so hard. I did get a bit of horse muck round the front wheels so I gave it a quick pressure wash off when I got back.

Post #420095 3rd Apr 2022 7:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1