« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Result !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black
Result !

Back in February I helped my brother find his first Land Rover, a 2011 Sport LE as I was sick of him asking me to sell him my Freelander.
Unfortunately, this lead his next door neighbour to ask me if I would find her a Freelander 2 to replace her ageing Freelander 1. I say unfortunately because they don't exactly live nearby and by the time I find a vehicle that ticks all her boxes, and go to see her for her approval, it's always sold.
Anyway, I found an HSE Sd4 2011 with full service history and an owner who had recently spent £2000 in preventative maintenance on it as it looked like his new T7 camper van had fallen through which meant he would be keeping the Freelander for the foreseeable future - however, the Campervan eventually came through at the 11th hour - so the Freelander was now surplus to requirements.
The vehicle was a good price anyway, but with all the money recently spent on premium brand brakes all round, 4 new Pirelli tyres, autobox/haldex/rear diff fluids etc, it was a bit of a bargain - especially when compared to the higher mile/lower spec vehicles on the market. However, there was a fly in the ointment. I noticed both keyfobs would jam in the dock. I took my brother with me on the 300 mile round trip as he was acting as his neighbours "agent" and would be driving the car home. He said to me he wasn't going to return empty handed. I pointed out the potential risk of a stuck fob.The cost of dock replacement etc. We negotiated a £500 discount with the seller and my brother drove the Freelander home.
On his return, my brother told his neighbour (who was over the moon with the vehicle) about both keys being a little "stiff" and he ordered 2 new key fob cases from Ebay and fitted them this morning. They work perfectly and the dock isn't broken !
£10 worth of fob cases, £500 off what was already a bargain.
Now that's a RESULT !
Side note , coincidentally I too changed my key fob case today . I spent £8.50 on a case that had Land Rover on the side. This jammed in the dock ! I then ordered a cheap £5 case that arrived this morning and it works as it should !

Post #420060 2nd Apr 2022 3:09 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Lol at the 5 pound jobbie working perfectly! Thumbs Up

What I've found with the 'replacement' fob cases is the tab that releases the key is the major (and only) weak point, so, that's the area I try to avoid using as much as possible. I had to replace one previous replacement fob just for that very reason.

Post #420062 2nd Apr 2022 3:46 pm
RealBeale

MotionInc - I replaced the battery and fob case on my spare around 5 years ago. I used the old key in it, as the cost of getting the new blade cut just wasn't worth it when the old key fits the new fob anyway !

Double Result !
As an aside to the above tale, I forgot to add: when my brother returned home and presented his neighbour with her new motor, the first thing she did after looking it over was to put a For Sale sign in the window of her Freelander 1 with the price she wanted. Less than 20 minutes later, her doorbell rang and a passer by walking his dog offered to buy it there and then. He took his dog home and came back immediately and after transferring the money in to her account, was the new owner, driving it away . All in less than an hour of the Freelander going up for sale !
Why can't I have things like this go my way for once !! Big Cry

Post #420064 2nd Apr 2022 5:17 pm
robblue

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Brilliant double result Thumbs Up as you say just not on your account but still a good outcome Thumbs Up 2009 FL2 S now gone
2011 FL2 HSE AUTO
2012 FL2 XS AUTO
2000 Kawasaki er 5

Post #420065 2nd Apr 2022 5:26 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

RealBeale wrote:

Double Result !
As an aside to the above tale, I forgot to add: when my brother returned home and presented his neighbour with her new motor, the first thing she did after looking it over was to put a For Sale sign in the window of her Freelander 1 with the price she wanted. Less than 20 minutes later, her doorbell rang and a passer by walking his dog offered to buy it there and then. He took his dog home and came back immediately and after transferring the money in to her account, was the new owner, driving it away . All in less than an hour of the Freelander going up for sale !
Why can't I have things like this go my way for once !! Big Cry

Timing is everything and then there is the moon cycle Thumbs Up

Post #420066 2nd Apr 2022 7:18 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Excellent, so your going to send the seller the £490 back you knocked off for no reason? Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #420085 3rd Apr 2022 1:25 pm
RealBeale

No chance ! It was a gamble on my brother's part that thankfully paid off . I would've walked away, as you could hear the whirring in the dock like it was trying too hard to pull the key in, before I had to push it home, then the fobs were just getting jammed in there and you had to physically wrestle them out .The seller claimed he'd never noticed and said he thought that's just how they were - until I showed him how my fob docked and un-docked. He then said that his wife had a massive bunch of keys on them that weighed a ton. It was this statement, and the fact that I'd read years ago that heavy keys on the fob could damage the dock, that made me hesitant. My brother negotiated the "money off" which would cover the cost to supply and fit a new dock should this need doing, which the seller was more than happy to agree to as he needed it gone now his camper had arrived. Thumbs Up

Post #420100 3rd Apr 2022 9:32 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1