Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 2012 MY Steering Angle Sensor Reset/Recalibration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ItDoesn'tJustWork

United Kingdom 
2012 MY Steering Angle Sensor Reset/Recalibration

Hi folks,

New here, I've done my best to search so I'm not retreading old ground but as I say, new here so forgive me if I've missed something.

Recently had the battery die on my 2012 TD4 and it resulted in the Traction Control Light coming on.

Scanner reports invalid data recieved from the Steering Angle Sensor Module.

The scanner I've got (MUCAR CS6 which is cheap in all regards aside from price) also claims to be able to reset and/or calibrate the Steering Angle Sensor but only after 2013 MY.

Looking at the live data for some of the wheel rotation we were getting readings of between 5500 and 5700 degrees (obviously not correct) when we hit 5700 the readings jump to a slightly more sane (but still outside of the normal range, which I believe is +-540 degrees) -780 degrees.

After disconnecting the battery for an extended period in the hopes that it would zero itself as possibly it did when the battery died we encountered something new and interesting. Somewhere close to 0 degrees (as reported by the sensor not zero degrees of steering angle) it jumps to a value of 2496.8 degrees and freezes there. Turning the car off completely and leaving it for a while seems to reset this.

I've pulled the sensor off and apart since then, it's attached to the back of the clockspring behind the steering wheel. If the sensor was playing ball I could rotate the sensor seperately untill the readout hits zero and then put everything back together but as we can't actuallly hit 0 that's off the table.

I've ordered a replacement steering angle sensor (part number on mine was AND76100C2 these do differ by year and possibly other factors so don't lean on this if you're out looking for a replacement yourself). It's from a scrapped Volvo but the part numbers match. Hopefully it's not been sitting in the rain or damp for months but I cannot find the sensor by itself new anywhere so it's a risk I have to take.

I am hoping to plumb it in, rotate the sensor to 0 independent of the steering column and clockspring before putting everthing back together.

If that fails does anyone know of a relatively affordable scanner that will reset/recalibrate the steering angle sensor on the 2012 MY.

Missing the 2012 and only covering 2013+ seems to be a commonality between most reasonably affordable (£200+ pounds for a clapped out android tablet and the ability to read and write to my controllers in my own car never feels reasonable but that's besides the point) diagnostic systems. For many others there's either a total absence of clear compatibility lists and/or searches and I don't want to keep ordering them 'just in case' I've already got two to return at this point...

Beyond that I've seen some people short two pins on the ODB2 connector to reset this but only on Toyota group vehicles. I'm guessing there isn't an equivelent on the Freelander but just in case someone out there knows different I'd love to be told I'm wrong (so I don't have to wait for a compatible tool to ship etc).

If you've run into similar issues on a 2012 and have solutions or knowledge, please save a fella from his own stupidity.

I'd be much obliged!

Post #437776 14th Dec 2023 2:07 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Welcome
I have no specific knowledge of this problem.

I dont know if this will help, but it's recommended when resetting electrical stuff on the FL2 that the POS and NEG leads are best connected together after disconnecting the battery in order to discharge all capacitors etc. Jules

Post #437779 14th Dec 2023 9:48 am
ItDoesn'tJustWork

United Kingdom 

Thanks Jules, I'll give that a go and report back.

Post #437793 14th Dec 2023 1:41 pm
ItDoesn'tJustWork

United Kingdom 

jules wrote:
Welcome
I have no specific knowledge of this problem.

I dont know if this will help, but it's recommended when resetting electrical stuff on the FL2 that the POS and NEG leads are best connected together after disconnecting the battery in order to discharge all capacitors etc.

Unfortunately doesn't appear to have any effect on this specific issue. Sad

Still was worth a try.

Thanks for trying!

Post #437795 14th Dec 2023 3:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1