Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > F1 Decider On Sunday
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Only two ways to enter and exit a corner in a competitive position, brake early and exit fast or brake late and exit slower. I'd say the driver in the lead has to protect his lead from the late braker period end of story. My .02cents CDN, it's gonna be awesome.

Post #415836 11th Dec 2021 7:43 pm
SteveC

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Quote:
How well Lando Norris (or any other drivers) keep up with the pair of leaders may effect any tyre-change strategy, as they may get in between them at this crucial time.

Lando kept Hamilton at bay for quite a while in an earlier race, earning praise from him.

If Lando can get a good slipstream off Max into the first corner, he could be in front of Hamilton again.

However, I suspect he'll keep well out of the way... Steve

2008 TD4 HSE Auto, Zermatt Silver

Post #415865 12th Dec 2021 10:40 am
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

What substance do you think the puntdits have been injected with. Rolling Eyes 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #415874 12th Dec 2021 1:22 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I havent watched F1 much since the days of Schumacher & Senna.
But as it was on Freeview today I watched the whole thing. It seemed to me the better driver and team were going to win until the end where it turned into a farce. I shan't be watching F1 again any time soon. Jules

Post #415878 12th Dec 2021 4:13 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

IanMetro wrote:
Like most sport - there are a lot of mind games.

I think it needs a bit of 'mind over matter' to drive at 200mph between two walls.

I will be backing Hamilton, for one last win. (and Championship)

I was wrong (again).

Although I don't know who wrote that script.

At least I can say that for the majority of the race Hamilton was faster.

Perhaps I will be right for next year, Maclaren will up their game, and Lando Norris will have some better luck than he did this year. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #415879 12th Dec 2021 4:21 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I watched on channel 4 via my Sky Box . As the race started , the Vicar called ( my new next door neighbour ) and luckily I could pause the action for 45 minutes , this was fortuitous as it enabled me to skip through a lot of the tedium . The only bit worth watching was the last 5 minutes . Listening to the team principles whining every time something didn’t go their way was in itself tedious . I’m not knocking the skill levels of the drivers , they are super human . However as a sport I think watching paint dry is more exciting . I’ll be sticking to World Superbikes 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #415880 12th Dec 2021 4:26 pm
shiggsy

Well, don't know what to make of that. Can't believe Lewis left the door wide open for Max to lunge up the inside so in that respect he deserves the win, on the otherhand, the race director seems to have ignored the rules to manufacture a racing finish, which could only end up being advantageous to Redbull. Not sure I would want to be in his shoes. 

Last edited by shiggsy on 13th Dec 2021 10:09 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #415881 12th Dec 2021 4:43 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Not much a of racing finish - 1 lap with one car on near new tyres the other on very worn ones and a 14 sec advantage removed. Why were the cars between Hamilton and Verstappen allowed to pass when under a safety car there is no overtaking.
Ridiculous IMO, rather like penalty shoot-outs in football. Jules

Post #415886 12th Dec 2021 7:54 pm
3landertwo

I can remember the controversy when Hamilton won his first world championship.

Massa crossed the line and won the race, (and the world championship, or so he thought) but on the last corner Glock slowed down allowing Hamilton to pass, giving the extra points needed for Hamilton to get World Champion title.

Post #415888 12th Dec 2021 8:17 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

On the BBC website someone compared it to a rugby side being two scores ahead and within 5yds of touch with 5 mins on the clock. Ref stops the game to allow the losing side to bring on fresh players, then resets the score to 0-0

Post #415890 12th Dec 2021 8:35 pm
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

No surprise that the BBC don't understand motor racing then Sid Rolling with laughter The position at the chequered flag is the only one that matters

Cars ARE allowed to unlap themselves behind the safety car when instructed so by the race director, the controversy is only around if it was within the race directors control to allow only those cars that were between LH & MV to unlap & not the rest of the field.

The problem this year, which as an F1 fan (of no particular driver) has been difficult to watch has been inconsistency from the FIA and the the attempted bullying of the Race Director from team principals during the races (one in particular Mr Wolff Whistle ) - The FIA have not covered themselves in glory this year. Hamilton & Verstappen have been on both ends of this so the argument could be made that it kinda balances out.

Mercedes were in a tough spot behind the safety car & clearly desperately hoping it would end under the safety car - they had the same chances as RedBull to pit for tyres but of course being in the lead did not want to risk losing track position (which would have cost them the race if Max hadn't pitted and Lewis did & it ended under the safety car) The race did restart for the last lap and Max won on circuit & cleanly - it could have gone either way with being able to restart or not.

That's motor racing folks & I think neither Lewis or Max deserved to lose this year but there can only be 1 world champ per year - Lets hope that Merc & RB both bring capable cars next year & hopefully we can have a season as epic as this one has been (hopefully with George in the mix at Merc as well) Thumbs Up 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #415902 13th Dec 2021 12:10 pm
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

It was all a bit of a farcical laugh but the last lap was good and the whole thing showed up so much of human nature, which is not always good. Perhaps the answer will be for all the teams to have identical self driving cars all manufactured by a single idependent company.

J

Post #415903 13th Dec 2021 12:16 pm
shiggsy

PRadd wrote:
The position at the chequered flag is the only one that matters

Well not always, they can get time penalties during the race which will demote their position.

As I understand it the race director had two options available to him, what they normally do is allow the cars to unlap themselves, give them a lap to catchup and then bring the pace car in. If they had done that the race would have finished under the pace car. The other option is not to allow the other cars to unlap themselves, but just bring the pace car in, which is what they were going to do as it wouldmean the race wouldn't finish under the pace car (I think). But that would mean Max would have had to pass 5 backmarkers under restart conditions, which Christian Horner complained about.

The race director then took it upon himself to allow only the 5 cars between Max and Lewis to unlap themselves and no others bringing max right up behind Lewis for the restart. He also bought the pace car in early not giving the 5 cars time to catch the pack up. Intentional or not he rigged the race in favour of Redbull.

It's all very well saying Mercedes had chances to pit and change tyres too, but Red bull had the advantage of being able to sit back, see what Mercedes did and do the opposite, which is all fair enough. If Mercedes had pitted and changed tyres Red Bull would have stayed out. It's quite possible then that Max would have been at the front on old tyres and Lewis behind with new tyres for the restart. If that happened Christian Horner wouldn't be accepting the result either. 

Post #415908 13th Dec 2021 1:22 pm
Northcroft

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

clearly that buffoon who crashed his car late on cost Lewis the title Big Cry

they need to change the rules, if they can give a 10 second penalty for an infringement, they need to give it the opposite way when the safety car comes on, no one should lose their lead, especially when it was 11 seconds. Thumbs Up

Therefore in my eyes Lewis ahould have had his 11 seconds restored or they restart the race after giving him an 11 second start. Bow down 2017 SEAT Ateca 4drive 2.0 xcellence (May 2022 -
2007 HSE with HST bodykit in Zermatt Silver 169,700 miles (dec 2016 - May 2022 )
2007 Honda Civic Type S GT (2012-2017)
2002 Mini Cooper S (2008-2012)
1992 Honda Legend 3.2i (2003-2008)
1990 Honda Concerto (1999-2003)
1985 Honda Accord (1997-1999)
1983 Honda Accord (1993-1997)
1983 Mini Mayfair (1988-1993)
1974 Mini 1000 (1979-1986)

Post #415909 13th Dec 2021 1:30 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I believe that the problem lies in the over-regulation of today's Motor Sport.

It seems that this came about because we (the public) wanted close racing.

For example, take Touring Car Racing. When I first became interested, wildly different cars raced each other (Ford Galaxy, BL Mini, Hillman Imp, Ford Cortina) in many states of tune and modification. Now the engines, chassis' and weights are heavily regulated, all hidden under replica moulded resin bodies. Even after all this the overall weight is adjusted to hamper the most successful.

It seems that in the future, as we move towards more and more electrical recovery/assistance, we can look forward to success being rewarded by adjusting the amount of time per lap that this stored power will be available.

These sort of methods are already in use in Formula E.

Unfortunately I can't see a way back to the days when real cars raced (and rallied) FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #415910 13th Dec 2021 1:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>