Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Timing belt?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
de049

Gibraltar 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Fuji White
Timing belt?

Hi guys,

Took my Freelander 2 (2011) for a service at the local dealer, and have been told I’m due the large service the includes timing belt change. From what I see, this is normally done at either 120,000km or the 10 year mark. While the car is now coming up on 10 years, it’s only done 65k kms to date, with full service history to date.

The question is, should I really have them replace the timing belt at this point, considering the above? My main concern, beyond the £1200 quote for this service, is more with the fact it appears to be a massive job, with many parts needing to be taken out within the engine bay. The car has been reliable and error free to date, so not keen on having someone take so many things apart, unless I really need to.

Any advice is welcome.

Many thanks.

Post #412780 28th Sep 2021 5:23 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

You could be forgiven for thinking they have quoted you for servicing a helicopter not one of the commonest Diesel engines ever used . In the U.K. a good independant LR garage would do that work for less half the price for the big service and belt . The engine is a bog standard Peugeot /Ford unit , nothing special to service at all. Changing the belt isn’t rocket science either any competent mechanic can do it , it’s common practice to replace the belt tensioner and water pump whilst doing the belt . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Last edited by MartynB on 29th Sep 2021 8:31 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #412782 28th Sep 2021 5:47 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

My local garage ( NOT LAND ROVER DEALER) changed my timing belt & water pump( Gates kit) for £280. Why would you take a 10yr old car to a main dealer ? The garage showed me the old belt which had done 60,000 miles was like new but I sleep better at night now it’s been done.

Post #412783 28th Sep 2021 5:50 pm
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

Take it to a none franchise competent spannerman
(must be some on Gib)
and as said full Gates kit inc Water pump and tensioner, DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #412785 28th Sep 2021 6:13 pm
Jagracer

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

It took me thirty minutes with the engine out. I reckon on ninety minutes with the engine in as it is tight to get at some of the bolts. If you do it yourself, allow half a day, as youtube videos can be helpful if you get lost. You might need to get a new crankshaft bolt. I used an eight milllimeter HSS drill shank in the flywheel, and eight mill bolts in the cam wheel. Get the fullkit including pulleys, and also change the accesory belt and idler pulleys as well. Get a Gates or Motocraft kit, about £85. You need to take out the front under wing mudguard, intake ducts from turbo includingairbox, ten minutes. Unclip the harness on the left of the belt cover, release the accesory belt, 15mm long spanner, take off the two idlers, put the 8mm pin in the flywheel hole, it goes in without removing the starter motor on pre 2010m/y. Unclip the TDC sensor left bottom attached to the harness. REmove the top belt cover, put the bolt into the engine where the sprocket recess is, undo the Crankshaft bolt, (I used a Dewalt Impact tool, well worth £169) Pull the front pulley off, then the plastic rotor, ( mark up everything for position with Tipex as you go, and take photos). Loosen and remove the pulley inside the engine mounting, then Tipex at places on the front of the fixed sprockets where you can see them. This is to compare positions against the old belt. Remove the other idlers and tensioners, the belt slides out with care. Reverse your actions, tension the belt, after replacing all new idlers, position the timing disc, put the front small cover back, then pulley, tighten crank bolt, replace the top cover, then the ducts, then the accessory belt. Not too bad to do. Saves a few hundred pounds too. We ran a VW PoLo diesel for 14 years on its first belt, no wear showing either. When you replace the water pump, put a light smear of Hylomar on both sides of the gasket. I took a pump out after 10k miles and it had a slight weep with no compound.

Post #412787 28th Sep 2021 6:31 pm
TooBlue

United Kingdom 
Re: Timing belt?

de049 wrote:
have been told I’m due the large service the includes timing belt change. From what I see, this is normally done at either 120,000km or the 10 year mark. While the car is now coming up on 10 years, it’s only done 65k kms to date, with full service history to date.

The question is, should I really have them replace the timing belt at this point, considering the above?

The timing belt should be changed at 7 year intervals for the SD4 engine,
but it is up to you if you want to gamble on extending that time. It used to be 10 years, but that changed not too long ago.

Post #412789 28th Sep 2021 6:52 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

de049 Are you feeling lucky. I mean lucky enough to risk an engine replacement or car write off due to a belt or belt tensioner/ bearing failure?

Post #412792 28th Sep 2021 7:30 pm
de049

Gibraltar 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Fuji White

Thanks for your inputs guys. I guess the piece of mind (guarantees?) that come with the LR dealer is what keeps me going back. But I agree it’s probably time to seek alternatives.

Need to now find a reliable local mechanic and get this done. Don’t want to take any unnecessary risks by not doing this.

Thanks again! Thumbs Up

Post #412813 29th Sep 2021 10:48 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: Timing belt?

de049 wrote:

My main concern, beyond the £1200 quote for this service, is more with the fact it appears to be a massive job, with many parts needing to be taken out within the engine bay.

Its not a massive job - pretty much a regular task for a garage.
I'd have thought it would take an experienced mechanic, whose done it many times, just several hours.
DIY- I'd expect to take all day over it - double checking everything. In fact I'm doing it in two weeks time.

I would hope that quote includes replacing the water pump. Jules

Post #412820 29th Sep 2021 2:23 pm
merlinj79

United States 2008 LR2 i6 S Auto Tambora Flame

I Like Chips wrote:
de049 Are you feeling lucky. I mean lucky enough to risk an engine replacement or car write off due to a belt or belt tensioner/ bearing failure?

Yeah timing belts and associated moving parts need to be changed on schedule (unless you have a non-interference engine). The rubber material can fail from age as well as miles.

That includes the water pump if it's on the belt, and not just to prevent coolant leaks... if the pump fails and the belt jumps time you're just as screwed.

Post #412827 29th Sep 2021 3:31 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

£1200 for a timing belt and service, that's outrageous. The timing belt is a 90 minute job from start to finish, add another 90 minutes for the other items that need attending to at the same time, the job should be half what you've been quoted, including the parts and consumables needed. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #412840 29th Sep 2021 8:19 pm
Vanbursta

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver
Won't be 90 minutes!!

Well speaking from personal experience. It aint gonna be 90 minutes, it took me about 6 hours, mainly duie to some stupidly tight bolts, then when I got it all apart the belt had already been replaced, the water pump and tensioner / idler hadn't been as they were genuine parts (the belt was a Gates and could of been original I suppose - writing still visible), there was hardly any wear to the belt it was almost as good as the new one!!

Post #412905 1st Oct 2021 1:26 pm
Kage

It’s not just the belt I worry about. They all seem to be okay on replacement.
But as Merlin said, the water pump is more likely to fail, and that could be just as catastrophic as a belt snapping.

Just for reference Dayco kits on eBay at about £75, Gates at about £95. Cheaper than a year ago for some reason!

Not sure what postage to Gib would be though.

Post #412906 1st Oct 2021 2:01 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red
Re: Won't be 90 minutes!!

Vanbursta wrote:
Well speaking from personal experience. It aint gonna be 90 minutes, it took me about 6 hours, mainly duie to some stupidly tight bolts, then when I got it all apart the belt had already been replaced, the water pump and tensioner / idler hadn't been as they were genuine parts (the belt was a Gates and could of been original I suppose - writing still visible), there was hardly any wear to the belt it was almost as good as the new one!!

In a fully equipped workshop with power tools, and 2 post lift, it's less than a 90 minute job. Done loads, it's not a long or difficult job at all, when all the equipment is to hand. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #412910 1st Oct 2021 3:31 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

just out of interest,who knows of a belt failure on a freelander,and what age/mileage was it?and was it due from oil contamination? I work for a roadside repair company and to be honest ive never seen one fail on a freelander.they are just too thick.

Post #412920 1st Oct 2021 6:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>