Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Timing belt?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Badger51

Australia 
Re: Won't be 90 minutes!!

Nodge68 wrote:
Vanbursta wrote:
Well speaking from personal experience. It aint gonna be 90 minutes, it took me about 6 hours, mainly duie to some stupidly tight bolts, then when I got it all apart the belt had already been replaced, the water pump and tensioner / idler hadn't been as they were genuine parts (the belt was a Gates and could of been original I suppose - writing still visible), there was hardly any wear to the belt it was almost as good as the new one!!

In a fully equipped workshop with power tools, and 2 post lift, it's less than a 90 minute job. Done loads, it's not a long or difficult job at all, when all the equipment is to hand.

Which everyone has in their backyard of course Rolling with laughter (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #412929 1st Oct 2021 9:19 pm
Grimdog

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Barolo Black

Ok, so to get back to the real world, working on an 11/12 year old car, at home, no ramp / lift.

After you have spent a day acquiring all the service parts you need, allow a good day to do this job. Not notwithstanding that other items will fail during the belt change, in my instance, the small solenoid terminal to the starter motor snapped off, the cheap timing lock tool on the ring gear had a flaw in its casting and broke, and no, you do not need to remove the starter motor to access the timing pins hole IF you know the location of said hole, and it's clean / clear ...... 90 mins ! It takes most of us that long to do an oil change .... If not longer ! Would love to know what the time is given to Land Rover " technicians " in their book !

Post #412936 1st Oct 2021 11:31 pm
Grimdog

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Barolo Black
Re: Won't be 90 minutes!!

[quote="Badger51"]

Nodge68 wrote:
Vanbursta wrote:
Well speaking from personal experience. It aint gonna be 90 minutes, it took me about 6 hours, mainly duie to some stupidly tight bolts, then when I got it all apart the belt had already been replaced, the water pump and tensioner / idler hadn't been as they were genuine parts (the belt was a Gates and could of been original I suppose - writing still visible), there was hardly any wear to the belt it was almost as good as the new one!!

In a fully equipped workshop with power tools, and 2 post lift, it's less than a 90 minute job. Done loads, it's not a long or difficult job at all, when all the equipment is to hand.

In fact, considering the time it takes you, I will gladly pay £250 for this procedure, giving you £100 per hour! 200k a year ....... Happy days 😁

Post #412938 1st Oct 2021 11:36 pm
de049

Gibraltar 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Fuji White

Hi guys

thanks so much to everyone for their inputs.

Firstly, there's no chance i could do this myself. Good thing is that i've found a couple of recommended garages (non-LR dealers) that could do this for me.

Before i take it in for a quote, would anyone dare suggest what else would be wise to replace/check whilst replacing the timing belt? I'm looking to get full service done, so all filters (and oil) replaced, and have read on here that the water pump could also be a good thing to renew at the same time as the timing belt. Is this advisable/necessary, or would it be overkill? Are these pumps likely to be ridiculously expensive?

Feel free to suggest anything else you strongly recommend be changed at the same time.

Many thanks chaps Thumbs Up

Post #413377 13th Oct 2021 10:19 am
Kage

The water pump comes as part of the timing belt kit, so all for less tha £100

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timing-Belt-Wat...635-2958-0

Post #413379 13th Oct 2021 11:45 am
freypal

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

I just had the cambelt done on my 2014. Land Rover quoted me £1,350 for a Cambelt change and service... To be fair it did apparently included a free wash and vac... Rolling Eyes

After pointing out their fixed pricing states it should be £490, they graciously offered a discounted rate of £895. I got a local independent to do it for around £300 including water pump change. I'd say shop around, it shouldn't cost that much.

Post #413381 13th Oct 2021 1:10 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

It has just taken me a day to do mine (inc water pump) and FEAD belt.
I've not done it before and didnt want to make a mistake, and there were a few other issues that needed attention:
-broken harness clips - repaired with glue gun / cable ties
-tab broken off the upper cambelt cover - repaired by riveting on a thin strip of aluminium
-spent ages trying to discover how the radiator drain plug worked (the manual is wrong)
-changed oil/filter & air/pollen filters too
-dropped a nut into the bell housing whilst removing the flywheel locking too !! Big Cry - i'll post on that separately

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic37453.html

Would have been quicker if I had had a helper; but she went out with some friends and their dogs Jules

Last edited by jules on 14th Oct 2021 8:47 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #413382 13th Oct 2021 1:33 pm
3landertwo

"Would have been quicker if I had had a helper; but she went out with some friends and their dogs".

I always find that best. Very Happy

Post #413390 13th Oct 2021 5:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12