Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > XTRONS PQ70DLRL Head Unit - no audio car speakers.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
oldgit

United Kingdom 
XTRONS PQ70DLRL Head Unit - no audio car speakers.

Fitted this unit OK, had an initial issue with optic cable in the wrong connections and wouldnt power up but switches on now and fitted a female optical loop (if thats the same thing as a optic fibere shunt?)

I have no audio from the car speakers? I connected the AUXL and AUXR from the XTRONS to the AUX IN red and white on the loom and selected the AUX in on the radio but still no sound. Idouble checked the connections seated correctly yet still no audio?

Any tips?
Many thanks

Post #412459 19th Sep 2021 12:47 pm
andyk159

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

When I fitted my xtrons (a slightly older version) with the supplied loom connector for original radio, the aux was connected automatically.
There were 2 looms supplied, presumably for the different spec original equipment.
Apart from TPMS, WiFi and GPS module connections, only other connections made were: Auto dimming to dashboard illumination, reverse camera switching and camera connect. Andy
Freelander2 HSE (59 Plate, MY10 spec)

Post #412461 19th Sep 2021 1:20 pm
oldgit

United Kingdom 

Yes, I used the loom with the grey connectors that has the AUX connectors, perhaps I should try the other loom without the AUX if it is integrated?

Post #412463 19th Sep 2021 1:32 pm
oldgit

United Kingdom 

no wont fit, connectors are system specific.

Post #412470 19th Sep 2021 3:34 pm
andyk159

Sure I used grey loom on the HSE Alpine system, and everything connected ok. Andy

Post #412471 19th Sep 2021 3:39 pm
oldgit

United Kingdom 

Just cant figure out why I cant get any sound through car speakers, I select AUX IN on radio but nada Banging Head

Thanks for the reply.

Post #412474 19th Sep 2021 5:16 pm
oldgit

United Kingdom 

I think for now I'll go down the route of an FM transmitter, seems the only solution short term. I'd rather this than go back to the original head unit and a redundant one at that.

Post #412579 23rd Sep 2021 8:08 am
Simon J

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

Oldgit

I recently bought this unit and before attempting to fit it I’ve been trying to understand how the audio connections work. I got this picture from Xtrons which shows the FL2 connections.

The bit that mystifies me is the audio connection 7 and 8 which then connects to a couple of RCA connectors. I’ve asked Xtrons what purpose it serves but while they’ve tried to explain it to me, I think something has got lost in translation.

But I wonder if you have connected 7 and 8 and then 14 and 15 and 16 and 17as shown is this picture?

andyk159

How did you make the connection that dims the illumination with the dashboard lighting?

Post #413227 8th Oct 2021 8:28 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

^^^^^^ This is why I have nothing to do with car electrics.

Post #413228 8th Oct 2021 8:41 am
Simon J

That’s good to know. Thank you.

Post #413230 8th Oct 2021 8:42 am
andyk159

Simon J wrote:
Oldgit

I recently bought this unit and before attempting to fit it I’ve been trying to understand how the audio connections work. I got this picture from Xtrons which shows the FL2 connections.

The bit that mystifies me is the audio connection 7 and 8 which then connects to a couple of RCA connectors. I’ve asked Xtrons what purpose it serves but while they’ve tried to explain it to me, I think something has got lost in translation.

But I wonder if you have connected 7 and 8 and then 14 and 15 and 16 and 17as shown is this picture?

andyk159

How did you make the connection that dims the illumination with the dashboard lighting?

Simon,
on mine, the aux in to the car audio was connected through the gray iso connectors. Didn't use any others. I left the small speaker connected, but put a small switch on it so it could be switched off when using aux on car radio. This allows voice output through speaker for navigation apps when listening to car audio.

For the lighting connection I piggy backed in to the dash lighting on the car buttons below the pen holder (where the xtrons buttons go). Andy

Post #413243 8th Oct 2021 5:37 pm
Simon J

Andy,

Thanks. The audio 3.5mm stereo plug, 7 in the Xtrons picture, comes from the ISO cabling and connects to two RCA sockets which then connect into the Xtrons unit. They are labelled AUDIO OUT L and R but there are two other RCA sockets, 19 and 20, which are connected to the Xtrons unit and to which RCA plugs on the ISO cabling, 5 and 6, connect and which are labelled AUX IN L and R.

The explanation from Xtrons was as follows:
The sound of Land Rover’s unit is input to the original car’s CD through the original car’s AUX channel.
If the aux of the original car is in the armrest box, 7 and 8 must be disconnected, and then connected with the audio cable.
If your original car interface has an audio input definition, there is no need to modify the cable. Our cables are directly plugged in, and then switch to the original car's aux state.

I make absolutely no criticism of the lack of clarity - my Mandarin isn’t up to much. Very Happy

So I think I’ll leave 7 and 8 connected and connect it all up and see what happens. I hope to get to that on Sunday.

Re the illumination, did you simply connect 12, Illumination Cable, to a power source on the switches below the Xtrons 'keyboard'?

Post #413244 8th Oct 2021 6:00 pm
andyk159

Simon, don't think mine was quite same as this, but I woul leave 7-8, 14-15, 16-17 connected if this puts xtrons audio out onto aux in of car unit.Try it and see.

As for illumination, connect 12 to the wire that provides illumination to the switches below. Can't remember which one without stripping dash but you will find it with a voltmeter. Andy

Post #413249 8th Oct 2021 6:35 pm
Simon J

Sound advice, Andy. Many thanks

Post #413250 8th Oct 2021 6:36 pm
Simon J

Well, happy to report that with the audio cables connected as shown in the Xtrons picture, everything works as it should. Or at least as far as I can tell after a very brief power up. Installation really was very straightforward. I found this video from Powerful UK to be extremely helpful as it shows exactly how it all comes apart

And this one shows how the Xtrons unit is installed

My task was made simpler by not having the LR screen. It really was plug 'n' play.

Even without having read the instructions it was a matter of a few minutes to set up Apple Car Play - yes, I know it’s not Apple certified, but it works - and once set up it automatically connects to my iPhone as soon as the ignition is switched on.

All in all, it’s very impressive and I’m now very glad I kept procrastinating about whether or not to get it as the latest version comes with Wireless Car Play so no need to purchase an extra dongle.

This is the finished installation.

Post #413284 9th Oct 2021 3:12 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>