Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Intermittent flat spot / low vibration/ blowing sound
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Chrism551

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black
Intermittent flat spot / low vibration/ blowing sound

Well a while since I’ve posted, but to update on previous posts, I did refresh the front end with new struts and top bearings, new swivel hubs / bearings, drop links, sway bar bushes, lower control arms, and while at it, I dropped the front subframe, scrubbed back and painted up. As I also had a bit of clutch slip, it seemed opportune to drop gearbox and replace clutch, dmf and concentric slave. As part of this, I removed front transfer box ( splines seemed ok), drained oil and replaced, along with new gearbox oil and fresh engine oil and filter. Treated it to some 18inch rims with Pirelli scorpion verde tyres, bit posh really for a poverty spec s model, but it’s worth it. Quite a list, but overall the car drives better, actually drives straight now, front end knocks and clutch slip gone. About 700 miles in, 300 towing a 1700kg caravan, and car is much more stable, and clutch slip gone.
Issues I have still got / inherited or created by this work are vibration under load between 1600 rpm and 2000rpm. This could have been present before but masked by the clutch slip, although that only occurred in 5th and 6th, this is in 3rd upwards. It also seems to have a lot of induction noise, or something is blowing ( most noticeable in front of car over gearbox area). At idle general vibration in car which it didn’t do before, engine seems to vibrate along with air box assembly, checked the drain valve and it’s missing with air pulsing out? Covering this doesn’t make it quieter. Driving it up the Rev range, no caravan in tow, goes like a scolded cat, and very smooth at speed, so not thinking driveshaft etc. Mpg towing just 20.5, was always better than that.
While in bits, I did check boost hoses, all seemed ok, but didn’t remove or pressure test them, I’m wondering as I lowered the engine and had it supported on blocks and the top drivers side mount only, if I’ve knackered an engine mount in the process, cracked an exhaust connection / flexi or just missed reconnecting something. I want to resolve this before starting the rear end overhaul. Thanks for reading and any suggestions most welcome.

Post #411288 11th Aug 2021 8:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1