Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Problem finding someone to repair rust issue!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
CED

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Bali Blue

Has it got a tow bar, may have been a salt water dipper with a previous owner.

Post #408737 6th Jun 2021 12:28 pm
grubby

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Rimini Red

merlinj79 wrote:
dazs wrote:
you cant fibreglass that , it needs welding as its close to seatbelt mounts , should be a fairly straightforward panel replacement , most bodyshops should be able to do that Thumbs Up

Yup, too much rust. Fiberglass would only work if you're unscrupulous and plan to sell the vehicle immediately... it would definitely come back soon, to say nothing of structural integrity. Needs to be cut out and panel welded in.

Can’t see much from the picture how far it goes behind, but if this is only the wheel arch panel itself and not spread onto support structure for the seatbelt mount / sills, not sure it’s much more than a cosmetic issue at this stage (but would need sorting to stop spread!)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection...-corrosion

Section 2 says: “any load-bearing or supporting structure or supporting panelling within 30cm of the mounting location”

Be interested to know what an MOT tester would make of it as I don’t think that panel is load-bearing or supporting so it doesn’t matter that’s its within 30cm of the seatbelt mount Current: FL2 TD4 2008 HSE

Previous: FL1 TD4 2002 // FL2 TD4 2008 // FL1 TD4 2003 // TD5 Disco 2003 // 300TDi Disco 1994

Post #408788 7th Jun 2021 9:01 pm
Landy64

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Thanks for that info. I did think about MOT rules and discussed it with the garage (the boss is a MOT tester Very Happy ), its not on a supporting structure even though its near to the seatbelt.

My car is now with them to do the necessary works and i've instructed them to weld and not use fibreglass at my expense obviously. They have removed the bottom side sill panels to see how far its spread, informed me it was not to drastic but there was a spot/patch at the other end hidden by the panel that is going to get done at the same time.

Now Ive just got to sit and wait, should be done by next week so in the meantime I'm off to rob a bank Big Cry

Post #408789 7th Jun 2021 10:40 pm
grubby

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Rimini Red

Yeah, needed sorting, good your garage didn’t think it was MOT fail.

Be nice to know what your final bill is for this - mine is on its way out as well - bubbling on the paintwork that will turn into a hole if I press too hard I guess!

Seems that muck gets trapped behind that area from the wheel arches, and holds moisture against the metal for a prolonged period and causes it to rust from the inside out… Current: FL2 TD4 2008 HSE

Previous: FL1 TD4 2002 // FL2 TD4 2008 // FL1 TD4 2003 // TD5 Disco 2003 // 300TDi Disco 1994

Post #408793 8th Jun 2021 9:14 am
3landertwo

CED wrote:
Has it got a tow bar, may have been a salt water dipper with a previous owner.

Only Chicken George would dip a caravan in the sea Laughing Laughing

Post #408797 8th Jun 2021 10:53 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

When the rear doors are open the rubber seal part that goes to the bottom of the door is prone to getting blocked with rubbish I put the hose down it when washing. If you’ve not done it before you maybe surprised at what comes out. Never seen rust as bad as the one on the OP’s car glad he’s getting it sorted.

Post #408799 8th Jun 2021 11:09 am
3landertwo

The rear doors on a FL2 are double sealed for both inner and outer door shuts.

The Discovery 3 had a problem with only a single inner seal and after pre-prod changed it to double seal, which later followed on in the first FL2s.

Post #408802 8th Jun 2021 11:53 am
SlabSquatthrust

United Kingdom 

Landy64 wrote:
Thanks for that info. I did think about MOT rules and discussed it with the garage (the boss is a MOT tester Very Happy ), its not on a supporting structure even though its near to the seatbelt.

My car is now with them to do the necessary works and i've instructed them to weld and not use fibreglass at my expense obviously. They have removed the bottom side sill panels to see how far its spread, informed me it was not to drastic but there was a spot/patch at the other end hidden by the panel that is going to get done at the same time.

Now Ive just got to sit and wait, should be done by next week so in the meantime I'm off to rob a bank Big Cry

I know this was a while back but any chance you could tell me how much you ended up paying for the work? Looking at buying a Freelander 2 and reckon I might be in a similar position further down the road.

Post #416715 5th Jan 2022 7:51 pm
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

I find a few threads on here that do not have a final ending, it would be great if the OP of such threads could update them Thumbs Up

Post #437348 28th Nov 2023 12:58 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

OP got this passed so dumped the Freelander!

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #437352 28th Nov 2023 5:28 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Arctic wrote:
I find a few threads on here that do not have a final ending, it would be great if the OP of such threads could update them Thumbs Up

I agree.
Having what happened to cure the problem successfully included in the thread is what makes this forum useful.
It also helps if we are told when our suggestions do not work or have no effect.

Thank you to all those OPs that take the trouble to finish off their Thread/Query. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #437357 28th Nov 2023 9:44 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12