Home > Maintenance & Modifications > How I disabled my Satellite Radio module
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame
How I disabled my Satellite Radio module

Freel2 Readers,

I never used my Sirius Satellite radio module but based on what I've read on the Volvo forums (with the same or a very similar module) I decided it was time for the module to be disconnected.

Note: in the US Volvo owners have complained that battery discharges if the car is left for extended periods.

Based on this it was time to disconnect the module.

Time to disconnect = 30 minutes

Parts needed = a FEMALE MOST ring loop bypass so that the signal that would have been received by the module will continue down the MOST ring.

I used this part https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FREU5...&psc=1

Difficulty = 1 Spanner (Very easy)

Proceedure

1. Remove the trim panels to gain access to the Satellite radio module

2. Remove MOST fiberoptic connection (Orange fiber optic cable)

3. Install Bypass loop on to the connector removed in previous step

4. Remove Power connector from Satellite module

5. Confirm that everything works
a. Radio
b. Navigation
c. Bluetooth phone
d. Backup sensor tone

6. Put the trim back on

I was surprised that I didn't get any warning even when I tried to select the Satellite radio module
(it just isn't there and my LR2 is happy to live without it)

Pictures of what I did

Post #407047 25th Apr 2021 9:05 pm
p_gill

Freel2 Readers,

I didn't realize that the Satellite Radio module is for the North American Market only.

Reading the shop manual it appears that the MOST network is used for the High-Line Radio and for the Navigation.

So for my friends in the UK what I've wrote above would only apply to the Bluetooth module (disabling that module is done the same way)

I have never been able to get more than 4 years out of a battery and I've read on Freel2 about owners with batteries that are 8 years old. The Satellite module that I disabled is a know problem area for draining the battery. I wonder if I will get 8 years out of my next battery now that I've disconnected the module.

Take care

Paul

Post #407221 2nd May 2021 2:18 am
p_gill

Freel2,

I reactivated my Satellite Radio module.

I did this because my Bluetooth module failed and I needed to use the Loop Back to bypass it.

It took 20 minutes to do this.

When the Bluetooth module failed the Radio and Navigation Screen kept turning off and back on every 30 seconds (approximately). I will admit that this has happened occasionally in the past but the reset would bring the Bluetooth back to life. This time it kept resetting every 30 seconds until I bypassed the Bluetooth Module and disconnected it.

I ordered a second loopback so that I could bypass both modules at the same time.

I did notice that the loopback fiber isn't held very securely in its connector but a small dab of epoxy or RTV will fix that. I used Tape yesterday because time was limited.

Thanks

Paul

PS I recommend keeping a loopback in the glove box just in case.

Post #411052 4th Aug 2021 7:01 pm
p_gill

Freel2,

The first Loop Back wasn't properly crimped so the Fiberoptic Cable could be pulled out easily.

I fixed this by improvising a crimp using some cable cutters.

It worked and the cable can no longer be pulled out.

Now that I received my second Loop Back I have bypassed both modules and my Land Rover is happy again.

I will need to have a look at the Bluetooth Module at some point and possible get a replacement (Used most likely). I read on here somewhere that if I get one from a Jaguar then the NAV screen will show Jaguar instead of Land Rover.

Take care

Paul

PS if I take it apart and repair it instead of replacing it I will post that here to show what I did to fix it. If I have the time.

Post #411209 8th Aug 2021 11:52 pm
RobTomo

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Auto Bali Blue

Hi I’ve got the same issue but I’m in the UK
Can you explain how I disable or bypass the Bluetooth module and where to find it please?
I don’t use it so hopefully getting rid will solve my problem
Pictures would be great as I’m a total ‘noob’ to this

Post #414006 31st Oct 2021 12:51 pm
p_gill

Rob,

The Bluetooth is disabled just like the Satellite Radio module. (Note: you don't have the Satellite radio module)

The bright orange fiber optic cable is connected to the module if you only disconnect this cable then the entertainment system will be disabled and it may re-boot every 30 seconds. To over come this you need allow the signal to continue. This is where the Loop Back comes in. By removing the orange cable from the module and attaching the Female Loop Back the signal will continue except you wont have Bluetooth.

The steps are exactly as I have shown above except you need access to the right side not the left side.

And you will need a loop back cable (the same part as shown above)

One difference is the electrical connection for the Bluetooth module. I seem to remember it has a swing latch. I disconnected the electrical connection as well.

I found a picture of the module

Bypass the Orange connection

Disconnect the Grey connection just above it and then put everything back together

Click image to enlarge

Link to the thread with the picture

Note: this thread is about how to replace the Bluetooth but is shows the steps to get to the module very clearly

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic11565.ht...oth+module

Let me know if you still have questions

Good luck

Paul

Post #414024 31st Oct 2021 6:07 pm
RobTomo

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Auto Bali Blue

Thanks Paul
I’ve just noticed your reply!
I ‘looped’ the sat nav and cd/radio today and that didn’t solve the problem so I’m going to have a go at the Bluetooth module tomorrow
I’ll let you know how it goes
Thanks again great having such knowledgable people to ‘talk’ me through it

Rob

Post #414267 5th Nov 2021 5:57 pm
p_gill

All,

Another Freel2 owner posted this

https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...etwork.pdf.

Great work grumsel

Take care

Paul

grumsel wrote:
Do you have bluetooth? This is also a possible candidate causing the issue. See https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...etwork.pdf. this document describes a "reset" of the MOST ring by removing RD1 for a while. If you remove it the power to all MOST modules is removed, if you insert it again each module will power up and a "reset" sequence will start. If this solves your problem I don't know.

The modules connected to the MOST ring are: radio front panel, satnav screen, satnav dvd player, amplifier, bluetooth module, DAB module, radio/cd player. The ring is used for transporting audio and control data between modules.

Each module has to receive the signal from the previous module in the ring and send it to the next module in the ring. If a module is broken it will not send the signal to the next module and the ring is broken, nothing connected to the ring will work anymore. A broken module can be found by bypassing one module at the time with a shunt which connects the 2 optical fibers so the signal continues.

The beeps of the parking sensors come out of the speakers, if the MOST ring is broken these will not beep anymore because the amplifier driving the speakers is also part of the ring.

Post #414268 5th Nov 2021 6:00 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

p_gill wrote:
Freel2 Readers,

I didn't realize that the Satellite Radio module is for the North American Market only.

Reading the shop manual it appears that the MOST network is used for the High-Line Radio and for the Navigation.

So for my friends in the UK what I've wrote above would only apply to the Bluetooth module (disabling that module is done the same way)

I have never been able to get more than 4 years out of a battery and I've read on Freel2 about owners with batteries that are 8 years old. The Satellite module that I disabled is a know problem area for draining the battery. I wonder if I will get 8 years out of my next battery now that I've disconnected the module.

Take care

Paul

Hi Paul,

I am considering disabling my bluetooth module and I do not have a sat radio nor navagation system as stock for my LR2; I have removed both boot trims in the past, once to reground the bluetooth module and once to install a tow kit (dr side). I can't remenber if the bluetooth module in my model has a MOST ring or not since I don't have a sat radio nor a nav display.
So, my question before I buy the MOST bypass and since I have not had the time to remove the pass side boot trim again to confirm, would you have any idea if I still have a MOST ring? I sort of remember an orange connector to my bluetooth module but I am unsure. Smile Thanks for any thoughts!!! Bow down

I use aux imput and a 3.5mm bluetooth wireless jack for my phone through my radio since my bluetooth transmissions always sucked using the entertainment system.

Post #429832 7th Feb 2023 11:23 pm
p_gill

The repair manual indicates that the Bluetooth is connected to the MOST

Quote:
The Telephone control module is connected to the Information and Entertainment system on the MOST ring. This allows
audio and control signals to be routed to and from the telephone control module. The telephone control module has an
integral Bluetooth antenna.

I don't see another PHONE MODULE that doesn't use MOST

Based on this I am going to say that yes the MOST Bypass (i.e. LOOP-BACK) should work for you

POST here your findings

Good luck

Paul

Post #429839 8th Feb 2023 3:14 am
MotionInc

Thank you sir, I will update this thread shortly!

Post #429840 8th Feb 2023 3:32 am
MotionInc

UPDATE! So I successfully by-passed my onboard bluetooth module today. I have not used it for phone calls since owning the vehicle, the reception of callers was always good but the transmission of my call was always spotty and crappy. I had added a ground strap a few years back but it made no diff and I figured it was a SDD update short. Per SDD, there was a more recent version available but the software suggested it could take 2+ hours so I shelved that idea. (Flashing modules or ECUs for great lengths of time did not really appeal to me, too much time for something to go fubar. I have flashed the trailer activation and turned off my DLRs as well as Alex's custom dash info flash and that was enough messing around Wink. The first time I flashed that custom dash flash, my immobilizer was triggered and I eventually was able to clear and reset that somehow Rolling with laughter .)
Anyway, easy job to by-pass the bluetooth thanks to Paul's tutorial and the pictorial from the bluetooth re and re thread. My connection fits fine and is the same make as the one Paul links to. I did purchase it from Amazon Canada but I suspect they all come from China. The bluetooth power connector was novel for me but it was easy once I realized there was a "latch". Everything works, backup tones, radio and the aux input. Don't play CDs so I did not check that... Thumbs Up

Post #430750 9th Mar 2023 6:51 pm
p_gill

Very Nice!!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #430752 9th Mar 2023 6:58 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1