« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > haldex
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
haldex

ive just been looking at tyre thread,where to put new tyres etc,i thought the haldex engaged momentarily when stationary to avoid front wheel spin?ive driven a freelander 2, 2 wheel drive and believe me, its front wheels span at every opportunity on our farm.so although the manual says tyres can be replaced on one axle only, if this is the case with the haldex all 4 tyres replaced at once would be best?

Post #401937 31st Dec 2020 10:11 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

The difference in rotation speed of tyres where the fronts are say 3mm more worn than the rears compared to a tyre that is spinning due to loss of traction is massive.

IMO replacing tyres in axle pairs is fine on the FL2 as its not permanent 4WD

Having said that I rotate my tyres so they wear evenly as I prefer to replace all 4 at the same time. Jules

Post #401944 1st Jan 2021 12:14 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I always replace mine in 4s now. Had a Discovery 2 spin coming off a motorway off slip roundabout, ended up backwards in the central grass verge, thankfully not injuring or damaging anyone/thing. It had 2 different makes of tyre fitted to front and back. Can't be certain that was the cause but suspect it didn't help so now rotate all 4 and replace together. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #401971 1st Jan 2021 1:25 pm
Longdave

United Kingdom 

sid: further views on this subject see https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic36212.html

Post #401983 1st Jan 2021 5:48 pm
Lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Bobupndown wrote:
I always replace mine in 4s now. Had a Discovery 2 spin coming off a motorway off slip roundabout, ended up backwards in the central grass verge, thankfully not injuring or damaging anyone/thing. It had 2 different makes of tyre fitted to front and back. Can't be certain that was the cause but suspect it didn't help so now rotate all 4 and replace together.

Need to replace 4 tyres soon. Seem to remember you posting the best way to rotate tyres so they all wear evenly? But can't find your post.
Could you repeat it please ?
Thumbs Up FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #402038 2nd Jan 2021 2:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bobupndown

I just swap fronts for rears, I don't swap side to side, although it probably won't matter with non directional tyres I think if its been turning in one direction for several thousand miles why make it work the opposite way?
The spare has never been on the car at all. Its a road biased tyre while the others are AT. Probably could do with changing it soon approaching 7 years old. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

Post #402052 2nd Jan 2021 5:33 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Sid I think you are confusing the Freelander 1 with the Freelander 2.
The FL1 has a mechanical viscus coupling that is sensitive to difference in rotational speeds, so if the rear or front is traveling more than the other axle it assumes there is wheel spin on locks up to give 4 wheel drive. Different tyres or more worn tyres front to back can give the same effect and you end up with permanent 4 wheel drive, this winds up the transmission causing damage to the viscus coupling, rear axle, tyres, front PTU, and even the gearbox.
It gets worse as the PTU (IRD) that splits the power front to back isn't a direct 1:1 ratio, so putting new tyres on the front only makes matters worse. Pre 2000 the ratio was more pronounced and these are FAR more sensitive.

The FL2 actually monitors wheel rotation rather than propshaft rotation, this is electronically controlled and can connect/disconnect drive to the rear axle for a range of reasons. For example the FL2 will generally set off in 4 wheel drive until a set speed is achieved (20mph??), then disconnects. Selecting one of the terrain response settings give different lock-up parameters but these do assume that the car is on conditions that allow a degree of wheel slip.

SO it doesn't matter where you put the new tyre, mix and match makes on the same axle is probably a bad idea. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #402088 3rd Jan 2021 1:12 pm
sid

im not thinking of freelander 1 at all,from what you have said it seems that you also think the freelander 2 automatically selects 4 wheel drive when stationary,disconnecting when a certain speed is sensed, so avoiding wheel spin.If this is the case the replacing all 4 tyres is best?the 2x2 freelander spins for fun on a wet road,so we must be right?ps im not talking about mixing on same axle,we all know thats not a good idea.

Post #402128 3rd Jan 2021 11:19 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

The point is the FL1 is a dumb system that will engage for long periods causing damage.
I once installed new tyres to the front of a FL1, by the time I got to work the rear tyres were trashed and the oil in the rear differential had boiled - discharging the oil from the breather.

Unless the FL2 is faulty there is no way it will engage 4 wheel drive for extended periods at road speeds, I have replaced individual tyres with new ones, and individual axle sets on the FL2 with no damage to the rear differential / transmission and never suffered the stepping that is apparent on the FL1 tyres when the coupling is locked up.

The PTU on mine failed at 150,000 miles (splines not lubricated and fretted through), this left me with two wheel drive for a few weeks, so yes I understand how badly the two wheels drive wheelspins. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #402139 4th Jan 2021 8:20 am
Northcroft

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

Bobupndown wrote:
I always replace mine in 4s now. Had a Discovery 2 spin coming off a motorway off slip roundabout, ended up backwards in the central grass verge, thankfully not injuring or damaging anyone/thing. It had 2 different makes of tyre fitted to front and back. Can't be certain that was the cause but suspect it didn't help so now rotate all 4 and replace together.

I hope it wan't as bad as this looks . . . .  2017 SEAT Ateca 4drive 2.0 xcellence (May 2022 -
2007 HSE with HST bodykit in Zermatt Silver 169,700 miles (dec 2016 - May 2022 )
2007 Honda Civic Type S GT (2012-2017)
2002 Mini Cooper S (2008-2012)
1992 Honda Legend 3.2i (2003-2008)
1990 Honda Concerto (1999-2003)
1985 Honda Accord (1997-1999)
1983 Honda Accord (1993-1997)
1983 Mini Mayfair (1988-1993)
1974 Mini 1000 (1979-1986)

Post #402143 4th Jan 2021 11:04 am
Bobupndown

Thankfully not but similar, less speed and no impact with armco. Definitely an "oh ####" moment. Same colour of disco also. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

Post #402167 4th Jan 2021 6:19 pm
sid

looks like his wheel come off?

Post #402224 5th Jan 2021 9:43 pm
itsaguything

Canada 2013 LR2 2.0T HSE Auto Firenze Red

unfortunate situation. and disgraceful driving habits. was maintenance maintained?? Guy Pensa
Cars with Personalities
Getting itchy. What's next?
2014 Land Rover HSE Lux (blend of practicality and aggressiveness)
2007 XKR (Jaguar Racing Green) (woo hoo!)
2004 XJR (Jaguar Racing Green) (deceased)
2002 S-Type R (British Racing Green, of course)
1951 Riley RMD (Black, time for that restoration)

Post #402662 14th Jan 2021 1:11 am
Lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Andy131 wrote:
Sid I think you are confusing the Freelander 1 with the Freelander 2.
The FL1 has a mechanical viscus coupling that is sensitive to difference in rotational speeds, so if the rear or front is traveling more than the other axle it assumes there is wheel spin on locks up to give 4 wheel drive. Different tyres or more worn tyres front to back can give the same effect and you end up with permanent 4 wheel drive, this winds up the transmission causing damage to the viscus coupling, rear axle, tyres, front PTU, and even the gearbox.
It gets worse as the PTU (IRD) that splits the power front to back isn't a direct 1:1 ratio, so putting new tyres on the front only makes matters worse. Pre 2000 the ratio was more pronounced and these are FAR more sensitive.

The FL2 actually monitors wheel rotation rather than propshaft rotation, this is electronically controlled and can connect/disconnect drive to the rear axle for a range of reasons. For example the FL2 will generally set off in 4 wheel drive until a set speed is achieved (20mph??), then disconnects. Selecting one of the terrain response settings give different lock-up parameters but these do assume that the car is on conditions that allow a degree of wheel slip.

SO it doesn't matter where you put the new tyre, mix and match makes on the same axle is probably a bad idea.

Got our Freelander in 2019 not long before first lockdown so have only recently experienced some long road trips. It has performed excellently and we are very pleased. It is a 2013 SD4 Auto XS. There is one characteristic which I wonder if others have experienced. When pulling away from standstill on a reasonably strong throttle I get a distinctive wheel chirp which I think comes from the rear tyres as if there is some spin/ loss of traction. Is this perhaps the haldex unit disconnecting from 4 to 2 wheel drive? Not really a problem but I am curious as to what is going on. FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #409912 8th Jul 2021 10:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bobupndown

My Sd4 makes virtually no noise to let you know that 4wd is engaged. It's all but impossible to make its wheels spin on anything other than snow/ice. Have you had haldex oil and filter replaced?
My wife has a VW Tiguan which is also a haldex equipped 4motion 4x4. She said to me one day about it wheelspinning a lot which immediately made me think it was faulty, a 2 minute drive confirmed that she was now in a 2motion. Changed haldex oil which was pretty manky and pulled the haldex pump out of it (simple on the VW, not so the later Freelander) it's screen filter was clogged with dirty oily muck. Removed and washed it, reinstalled with fresh oil and 4wd was once more restored. Cheap easy fix.
If you haven't or have no history of a haldex service its well worth doing to keep things right. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

Last edited by Bobupndown on 9th Jul 2021 10:16 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #409915 9th Jul 2021 7:20 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>