Home > Technical > haldex
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

Haldex, Oil and filter change is a must in my book,
this is mine yesterday when Bell Engineering stripped it
for a clean and oil change, It was only 4 years ago this was done!!
Note how the oil has degraded in that time.

Click image to enlarge
 DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #409916 9th Jul 2021 7:22 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

The same Haldex in a VW gets a 30k mile, or 4 years, or 40k and 3 years service, I can't remember which now, but definitely much more frequent than the stupidly long service interval that LR specified. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #409924 9th Jul 2021 9:55 am
Lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Bobupndown wrote:
My Sd4 makes virtually no noise to let you know that 4wd is engaged. It's all but impossible to make its wheels spin on anything other than snow/ice. Have you had haldex oil and filter replaced?
My wife has a VW Tiguan which is also a haldex equipped 4motion 4x4. She said to me one day about it wheelspinning a lot which immediately made me think it was faulty, a 2 minute drive confirmed that she was now in a 2motion. Changed haldex oil which was pretty manky and pulled the haldex pump out of it (simple on the VW, not so the later Freelander) it's screen filter was clogged with dirty oily muck. Removed and washed it, reinstalled with fresh oil and 4wd was once more restored. Cheap easy fix.
If you haven't or have no history of a haldex service its well worth doing to keep things right.

Had a new Haldex pump fitted by the LR main dealer when I bought the car on 48000 as the dash was showing a traction light. Now done 56500. Presume this would include new oil and filter.
Noise is not serious wheelspin problem, more of a chirp from the tyres. Perhaps it's my driving style as this engine does have decent torque. Strangely enough of if I really floor the throttle it seems to drive through it with no problem. FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #409927 9th Jul 2021 11:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ribama1

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Dave47 wrote:
Haldex, Oil and filter change is a must in my book,
this is mine yesterday when Bell Engineering stripped it
for a clean and oil change, It was only 4 years ago this was done!!
Note how the oil has degraded in that time.

Click image to enlarge

Hi Dave

I'm looking at that seal in your picture (not the gasket and the filters) mine looks similar. I cleaned it up but it didn't look so good to me (a bit degraded) but I haven't seen much about changing these. Anyway I didnt have one so it wasnt replaced. But now I have a leak that seems to be from where the flange meets the haldex. I reckon that seal is leaking. Anyone else encountered this? Thanks.
Matt

Post #411274 11th Aug 2021 10:21 am
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

I can not really help you as I've never done these myself,
I know you're in Oz but it could be worth getting in touch with Austin at Bell Engineering
info@bellengineering.co.uk
Mob: 07484 841813
He is very informative and helpful,
good luck, I'm sure you'll find a solution. Thumbs Up DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #411275 11th Aug 2021 11:27 am
merlinj79

United States 2008 LR2 i6 S Auto Tambora Flame

ribama1 wrote:

I'm looking at that seal in your picture (not the gasket and the filters) mine looks similar. I cleaned it up but it didn't look so good to me (a bit degraded) but I haven't seen much about changing these. Anyway I didnt have one so it wasnt replaced. But now I have a leak that seems to be from where the flange meets the haldex. I reckon that seal is leaking. Anyone else encountered this? Thanks.
Matt

Can you tell if it's it gear oil or haldex oil?

There's an oring that keeps the diff gear oil in place, mine got damaged by the dealer once when they removed the haldex and the diff oil slowly leaked out over time. Fortunately caught within the 1 year service warranty.

Post #411279 11th Aug 2021 1:34 pm
ribama1

Hi. Yes this is definitely haldex oil and it seems to be coming from the where the flange that is attached to the haldex unit with that single nut that many people seem to have trouble with. I believe the only way oil could be coming from there is if the main haldex seal was not working. You can see the seal in Dave's picture.

This seal holds the haldex oil in the unit so it needs to be good. Mine didn't seem in great condition so it doesn't surprise me if it is leaking. You don't hear of people changing them, and I didn't have one, so I didn't replace it.

I have only found one seller of these on fleabay (not sure if its the right one for a gen 3 pic below) but I'd say I have a date with a second haldex removal. Haldex oil is a bit hard to come by in Australia at the moment so I have to put this off.

Click image to enlarge

Post #411299 12th Aug 2021 1:08 pm
ribama1

Dave47 wrote:
I can not really help you as I've never done these myself,
I know you're in Oz but it could be worth getting in touch with Austin at Bell Engineering
info@bellengineering.co.uk
Mob: 07484 841813
He is very informative and helpful,
good luck, I'm sure you'll find a solution. Thumbs Up

Thanks Dave I'll keep that up my sleave for if I really get stuck.

Post #411301 12th Aug 2021 1:10 pm
ribama1

I thought I would include in this post what else I have found.The seal is not shown the haldex gen 3 diagram (attached below) , but I know it is there because I have seen it with my own eyes.

Click image to enlarge

The seal is sitting there surrounding the input shaft, I don't know for sure that mine is leaking but the leak seems to be coming from that sort of area. I put new o-rings on the pump and the filter has a new cap so I'm ruling them out.

The other possibility (rookie error) is that my haldex is overfull and that the fluid is gradually leaking out through a relief valve/weep hole somewhere on the haldex that I can't see. If it was there we should see it in the diagram, but maybe not.

Have a look through the filling instructions from the freelander manual and then I'll explain what happened when I filled.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I'm sure you'll agree the instructions seem easy enough to follow but I found them after I had ordered my refill kit which only contained 600mils Big Cry . If I was doing this process again, I would put a hose on the end of the tube of halex oil, but filling it just with the nozzel meant some was spilled so I was already less than 600mil maybe about 20mils less Embarassed . Assuming that after I removed it from the car and left it draining overnight (with all its parts off) nothing was left in the haldex unit, the unit would have the perfect 580mils. Well to me that seemed like the right amount. But if there is a weep hole and if there was a bit left in the haldex or if less than 20mil was dropped then it may be overfull and leaking as a result of that.
Now I would not normally give this topic so much attention. I would just top up and drain 70mil, but haldex oil is like hens teeth in Australia and I wont be getting any more delivered for a month. At about the same time that seal will be delivered. So until then we get to speculate. I will update when I have the answers.

Post #411339 14th Aug 2021 4:38 am
Lakelander

Bobupndown wrote:
My Sd4 makes virtually no noise to let you know that 4wd is engaged. It's all but impossible to make its wheels spin on anything other than snow/ice. Have you had haldex oil and filter replaced?
My wife has a VW Tiguan which is also a haldex equipped 4motion 4x4. She said to me one day about it wheelspinning a lot which immediately made me think it was faulty, a 2 minute drive confirmed that she was now in a 2motion. Changed haldex oil which was pretty manky and pulled the haldex pump out of it (simple on the VW, not so the later Freelander) it's screen filter was clogged with dirty oily muck. Removed and washed it, reinstalled with fresh oil and 4wd was once more restored. Cheap easy fix.
If you haven't or have no history of a haldex service its well worth doing to keep things right.

Was it a front wheel spinning on the VW?
having read up a bit ,I can't understand how a Haldex fault can spin a back wheel on my FL2? Perhaps I am guessing wrong that a rear wh eel is losing traction and it is just a noise / sensation?
ButStill suspecting I have a problem with my Haldex , perhaps it's not disengaging 4wd smoothly after setting off from standstill?
Can anybody confirm that it is fuse F19 to disable Haldex , my handbook talks about transmission coupling but no mention of Haldex.
Can I cause any damage by driving with this fuse removed? I think if I do this and the judder/noise goes away then it must be the Haldex. FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #413400 14th Oct 2021 6:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ribama1

Hi Lakelander when the haldex is engaged then power is split between the front and rear axels. If there is loss of traction on one rear wheel it will spin.

Don't know if it is Fuse F19 that controls the Haldex but I think Haldex is a brand, more than it is a thing.

The repair manual calls the Haldex an Active-On-Demand coupling. But transmission coupling makes sense also as it couples the PTU with the rear differential.

Post #413532 18th Oct 2021 11:08 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

if memory serves me right the haldex couples the rear axle to the gearbox, there is a front differential and a rear differential. If any wheel spins the traction control uses the brakes to grab that spinning wheel sending the power to the opposite (non-spinning) wheel on the same axle.

So the theory goes that a wheel might spin briefly, but then power is sent to the opposite wheel. If any one wheel has traction the car should move forward, the only difficulty being when all four wheels spin - how can the system know. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #413545 18th Oct 2021 7:16 pm
Lakelander

Thanks all for the comments.

Think my next move is to get the Haldex serviced and see if this solves the problem
When I bought the car ( from a main JLR dealership ) they put on a new Haldex pump as part of its pre sale inspection as the transmission fault light was showing. They should have changed the filter and oil at the same time but as JLR " believe " the Haldex unit requires no maintenance servicing they probably just topped up the oil. That was 2 years ago.

Really like the car but am OCD about things working correctly on a vehicle - not a good trait for the wallet !
Plan to run the FL2 for another few years before having to move to a Batteryblandobox to see out my driving days. I expect diesel price, road tax, emission taxes etc will all increase relentlessly and the move to electric / hydrogen really is necessary for us all, as with most things it's getting the timing right. But what will I do about my Defender?!!

What should I pay for a Haldex service? FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #413552 19th Oct 2021 8:57 am
Kage

I paid £150 at Bell engineering just over 2 years ago.

Post #413561 19th Oct 2021 10:34 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12