Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
GundogSD4

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Yuasa batteries all the way for me Thumbs Up

Post #402024 2nd Jan 2021 9:54 am
Dartman the one

England 

The Ah figure is the capacity of the battery to produce power without a charge, example leave a modern radio taking 2Amps on will flatten a 75 Ah battery in 37.5 hrs or a 70Ah battery in 35hrs, the cranking Amps is the amount of amps the battery the battery can supply at a given temperature.
Should your starter motor take 700A the length of time you can run the motor is cranking A ÷ Ah, basically the colder the area you live in the higher cranking amps rated battery is better assuming it will fit the battery box, better battery construction and technology will give higher ratings for size, Euroline is Tanya's own brand battery, possibly a generic battery that is badged and also used by other battery suppliers.
Regarding warranties there is no real difference in a one year warranty battery and a 5 year warranty battery, basically it's the manufacturers calculated failure rate versus cost, your one year warranty battery may well last 6 years but also possibly last only 18 months, it's you taking the bet on its life not the supplier.
Interesting point, I bought a Yausa battery in Cyprus ( choice is limited there) for €137 with a 2 year warranty whereas Tayna supply the same battery for about £80 with a 4 year warranty, it depends where you buy it and the vendors choice of warranty, in the UK the date is the manufacturers date of manufacture, in Cyprus the vendor marks the sell date, no manufacturer date buyer beware, my battery may well have already been over 2 years old but it's "Cyprus my friend"
edited for clarity my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Last edited by Dartman the one on 3rd Jan 2021 11:45 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #402027 2nd Jan 2021 10:13 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

On the top of the battery somewhere you should see a discrete 4 digit number stamped into the plastic. WWYY, photo below week 18 year 13.

Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #402034 2nd Jan 2021 11:35 am
Lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Sidthecat wrote:
Am needing a battery myself for my 63 plate but as with pretty much everything else mechanical, I'm a bit clueless Crying or Very sad
Been on to Tayna site, input reg and its giving me a 096 and here's where the fun starts. Their recommended is an Enduroline 12v 75ah 700a but they also do a Varta E38 12v 74ah 750a. What's the difference in the numbers? If it makes any odds, the car's not stop-start, is not used for towing etc and is my daily runner; I'm mindful that it has to live outdoor so subjected to the cold weather.
Thanks

Last summer I fitted a Varta F18 to my SD4 auto. I used Battery Megastore as they appear to have a better warranty policy as they pay the carriage of you can provide a readout proving the battery is faulty.Cost was just over £90 delivered , it came within 36 hours. I chose the F18 because it is more powerful than the original Exide ( I live in a cold wet area ) but has the same dimensions. The F19 also fits but is taller and has the same output so offers no advantage. The F17 is cheaper smaller and less powerful. So far I hav a not been disappointed.Hope this helps your decision Thumbs Up FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #402037 2nd Jan 2021 1:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

The (Halfords Rolling Eyes ) AGM battery in my MY2010 TD4e GS is 80Ah and only two and a bit years old, but I am suffering the intermittent door-lock issues mentioned above and it stopped doing the start-stop after a few months. I also get a low battery warning after about five minutes if I am using bluetooth while stopped, where I used to get longer.

I'd like to try something a bit bigger and searches return 85Ah normal or 80Ah AGM (both at a CCA of 800A) but I can't see any 85Ah AGMs. ...and presumably it is the CCA figure that I really want to increase rather than the Ah figure?

I'm currently considering the Varta G14 which is 95Ah and 850 CCA, but its length is 353mm instead of 315mm. Would that fit? Or is there a 85Ah AGM available somewhere that I am not finding? 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #402079 3rd Jan 2021 9:13 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

CCA is what it says, Cold Cranking Amps, what the battery can put out to start the engine. Ah (amp hours) is the longevity of the battery, how long you can run a piece of equipment, e.g. 1 amp for 80 hours or 80 amps for 1 hour. (The given figures depend in the battery being fully charged.) If your battery lost some of its capabilities within a few months then there must be something wrong, either with the battery, charging system and use, or wiring and connectors. Many short journeys and many stop/starts without sufficiently charging the battery are going to take a toll on the batteries capabilities. It is always worth putting a lead acid battery on charge using a c-tek (other smart battery chargers are available) type charger.
Whether the bigger battery will fit, probably not as the battery fixing mechanism takes up a bit of room in the bottom of the mount, and you wouldn’t want a loose battery floating around under the bonnet.

Post #402080 3rd Jan 2021 10:00 am
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Thanks. I'm certainly not in the short start/stop journey category ("just nipping to Tesco's" is a twenty-mile round trip! Smile ) and all the charging info from my GAP IID suggests that it is charging ok, so perhaps the Halfords battery is the issue. I agree that I wouldn't want a battery loose in the engine compartment, but my recollection, is that there is a bit of free-space lengthwise and the end of the battery box comes off, so it may be possible to squeeze a longer battery in without compromising the battery's hold-down fixing. 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #402105 3rd Jan 2021 3:47 pm
Pejo

Australia 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver
Battery Type

So used the FL2 to pump up tyre when setting tyre deflators, without motor running
Next day fine started all good went for 10 km trip and return
Come Monday morning nothing Shocked

Got some online quotes around $400 AUD supplied and fitted Rang around and everyone says that model requires AGM and thy wouldn't warrant a lead acid (Varta F18) Not that there's any in stock!!

If I wanta Varta it would be the F21 @ $509 Censored

RAC has no name fitted fro $400 (AGM also)

All 800 CCA

Confused as to why they all want the AGM when its not stop start Rolling Eyes

The existing one is a 3772 (RACV)

Post #412031 6th Sep 2021 4:22 am
Pejo

Australia 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Looking at this now for $220

AcDelco Premium Battery S59096 / MF77H / 475T / DIN75LHMF / 3772 3yr. Warranty

ACDelco’s premium range of batteries undergo some of the strictest quality assessment processes to ensure high quality and outstanding reliability. With its factory-sealed, lead calcium technology, this battery is maintenance free. ACDelco produce automotive batteries suitable for most makes and models.

DESCRIPTION
CCA:912

RC:160

Positive Terminal: Right

Length: 315mm

Width:175mm

Height:190mm

Construction: Calcium Terminal

type: S/L

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Designed and manufactured to perform under toughest conditions
Ultra high density plate material for high corrosion resistance
Increased charge acceptance
High depth of discharge lifecycle
Maintenance free
3 Year Warranty

Post #412033 6th Sep 2021 6:55 am
Smallmankey

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Mauritius Blue

Fitted a Varta F19 to mine (2013 SD4) about 12 months ago from Tanya Batteries. Happy with the price (under £95 delivered) and was a straight forward (if heavy) fit. Andrew

Post #412037 6th Sep 2021 11:58 am
Jagracer

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

Hi, I have heard bad things about Calcium batteries on Land Rovers. The most important point about a battery is its Cranking Voltage. My local main dealer told me that cranking voltage must not drop below nine volts. Calcium batteries I have found crank at eight volts fully charged. I use a 110E battery. Beware of stop / start cars when checking voltage, as the charge control holds the cranking voltage with a condensor to maintain cranking voltage to enable multiple starting ability. Varta batteries are usually original equipment, but Land Rover must get better quality one's than retail outlets. I have had nine years out of original batteries, fourteen on a VW Polo.

Like all things, one pays your money and take your chances. No manufacture wants to keep older cars running as they want to sell you a Battery Car, life of battery is then eight years if you are lucky. I have been told that there are already thousands of Toyota Prius batteries in containers piled up at ports because Japan will not allow re-import, and no recycling method has been devised to solve what to do with the toxic Lithium solution in them.

Post #412042 6th Sep 2021 4:16 pm
Dartman the one

England 

I understand that batteries from EV are suitable for use as backup power in many commercial buildings also are fitied in domestic premises to maintain power during dark hours supplementing either PV cells and or wind generators. The capacity of the used batteries is more than adequate for this task as the A/h demand is considerably less than an EV, so either that statement is incorrect or someone is storing to keep the backup battery price unrealistically high. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #412055 7th Sep 2021 7:56 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Indeed , that is all possible in theory but I have not heard of anyone doing it in the UK - using old BEV batteries to supply extra electricity that is.
Also recycling of lithium ion batteries on the industrial scale that will be required is in its infancy - so storing them somewhere is all you can do at the moment. Jules

Post #412056 7th Sep 2021 9:40 am
merlinj79

United States 2008 LR2 i6 S Auto Tambora Flame

Dartman the one wrote:
I understand that batteries from EV are suitable for use as backup power in many commercial buildings also are fitied in domestic premises to maintain power during dark hours supplementing either PV cells and or wind generators. The capacity of the used batteries is more than adequate for this task as the A/h demand is considerably less than an EV, so either that statement is incorrect or someone is storing to keep the backup battery price unrealistically high.

Yes it's done in the US. But it's only a second life for these batteries, eventually they become too tired for even backup purposes and will need recycling.

Post #412058 7th Sep 2021 12:21 pm
Jagracer

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

I was told the information from someone who works in Felixstowe Docks. There is a new venture due to start re-manufacuring and repurposing used Lithium Traction Batteries near Coventry. The main problem is Health and Safety when dismantling large Lithium Traction Batteries, they are deemed to be Toxic Waste, and can explode. They can burn for five days in a car fire. Have a look on Riches Wreckes on Youtube, the man shows what is involved with repairing salvage Tesla Cars, the batteries weigh 1500 kilos I believe.

Post #412059 7th Sep 2021 2:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>