SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Range Rover Runs Over Owner

Terrible story from the states.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9...ector.html

Post #401561 23rd Dec 2020 8:43 am
Slobbox

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

As much as this is terrible news for the family I really don't know how they get confused. They are clearly listed as:
P R N D S
Also I do know my 2013 XF also automatically goes into park when i turn the engine off if its in Drive or Reverse. Sorry to sound heartless but i do think its operator error and they should have put it in park and applied the brake. But JLR will have to change it because they will have to make it Idiot proof.

Post #401562 23rd Dec 2020 10:03 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Interesting. I was not aware of this.
Maybe a case of form over function.
Humans make mistakes for a variety of reasons. Systems need to be designed in such a way as to reduce serious injury. For example modern cars cannot be started without the transmission being disengaged through the manual clutch or automatic gearbox.

Regarding the FL2, I have often thought the decision to move the hazard light switch on the late FL2 to a less prominent and harder to reach position was a bad decision - almost hiding it from view.
In my view the hazard warning switch is a safety feature which because it is not used routinely easily becomes out of sight - out of mind. This is not a good thing, therefore it should be obvious so you can find it in an emergency.
IMO they should be in a standardised prominent position - probably on or near the steering column. Jules

Post #401563 23rd Dec 2020 10:14 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Slobbox wrote:
As much as this is terrible news for the family I really don't know how they get confused. They are clearly listed as:
P R N D S
Also I do know my 2013 XF also automatically goes into park when i turn the engine off if its in Drive or Reverse. Sorry to sound heartless but i do think its operator error and they should have put it in park and applied the brake. But JLR will have to change it because they will have to make it Idiot proof.

I tend to agree; if you were getting out the car thinking that you were parked, would you not notice the engine still running? A RR such as this one should surely be heard even in neutral or parked.
Regardless, very sad and will undoubtedly cost JLR absolutely millions in compensation. Then of course potentially having to redesign the gear selector to be completely idiot proof. And then they’ll no doubt be forced to recall every single one of their cars with this design . . . all possibly due to driver error
Interestingly she and her husband complained that she found the gear selector confusing to operate. In the circumstances perhaps she shouldn’t have been driving it?

Post #401567 23rd Dec 2020 10:37 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

My gripe about cars has always been that the horn button should be in a standard position on any car. I don't use the horn often but I have to think where it is especially if I am in another car and a few seconds delay can be vital in some circumstances. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #401568 23rd Dec 2020 10:57 am
GeorgeB

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

From the video, it would appear that Mrs Sharhat was attempting to exit the vehicle without having turned off the engine. Sadly on this occasion, the gearbox was in reverse, not park.

Post #401569 23rd Dec 2020 11:06 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

As far as I can tell it looks like a level surface. If it was in drive or neutral & the engine was off it would not have moved.

But, you have to put it in park to stop the engine. Isn't it illegal to get out of a moving car.

Maybe there were distractions, maybe a mobile phone. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #401571 23rd Dec 2020 12:04 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Unfortunately a pensioner was run over by her own car and killed in our town in December last year. I believe she pulled on the steering wheel while exiting the car which caused it to start moving (handbrake not on?).

Accidents do happen, we are human, and can be distracted.

I could misquote another internet forum at this point -----
Engineering today is a race between Engineers building bigger and more idiot proof systems, and the universe producing bigger and better idiots. My point being at what point does the user take responsibility for their actions? Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #401586 23rd Dec 2020 2:28 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Once again, the blame culture raises it's ugly head . Sadly, we live in a world where not taking responsibility for one's own actions seems to be the norm, especially where a large compensation payout is a possibility. JLR will have their name tarnished because someone cannot use an autobox correctly. Rolling Eyes Did she also not apply the parking brake ?
Sorry, but in reality , she's another candidate for the Darwin awards.

In the Jaguar Land Rover vehicle documents, it states: 'Before exiting the vehicle, make sure that the vehicle is stationary. Select Park. Apply the Electric Parking Brake (EPB). Switch the engine off.

'The vehicle can move unexpectedly with any other gear position selected, which may result in death or serious injury.'

Who parks a car and exits it BEFORE turning the engine off ????

Post #401587 23rd Dec 2020 2:37 pm
Navigator

Scotland 

modern cars cannot be started without the transmission being disengaged through the manual clutch or automatic gearbox.

Which was a right pain for my son's Vauxhall for the month he was having to push start it with the local garage telling him it was because there must be a fault in the clutch and they would fit another one as soon as they could. In view of the impending huge cost he finally listened to me and took it to a local haulier repair workshop. They stuck the plug on the sensor lead back in fully and stuck some gaffer tape around it to stop son knocking it out again with his size 12's. Everyone can spread it - Anyone can catch it. Stay home - the life you save can be your own!

Post #401592 23rd Dec 2020 3:58 pm
JJE

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Fuji White

A very sad story but having spent quite a lot of time in the States it is very rare for them to use the parking brake.

Post #401593 23rd Dec 2020 4:07 pm
DEG5Y

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Hand Brake?

Post #401595 23rd Dec 2020 5:17 pm
GeorgeB

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

Types of Parking Brakes:

Stick lever – found in older models and located under the instrument panel.
Center lever – located between front bucket seats and seen in many newer model vehicles.
Pedal – located on the floor to the left of the other pedals.
Electric or push button – located on the console with other controls.

Post #401598 23rd Dec 2020 6:05 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I always making a point of selecting Park if stationary and am I doing something else (like finding somewhere on Sat Nav, or looking for something in the glovebox, etc.)

I learnt my lesson whilst at an automatic Toll Booth on the M4 Severn Bridge. I was sat in Drive with my foot on the brake as I lent out of the window and put my money in the Toll Machine. Something went wrong and it returned some money, at that point I undid my belt, opened the door and slid out to find some more money.
Almost as soon as I bent over the machine, my wife's voice alerted me to the fact that my Fl2 had started moving.
I was able to take a few quick steps and jump back in and (re)apply the foot brake.

I feel lucky that I was able to recover the situation without any damage, although I am not sure what would have happened if my wife had not been there.

I have also found that the 'Hill Assist' (stopping you from rolling back) can release very slowly and gently, allowing you to roll back if you are waiting, say at traffic lights, for a while, and allow yourself to be distracted by something inside of the car.
I did this early in my FL2 experience, when I selected Neutral (to save a bit of fuel) not realising that 'Hill Hold' would release on its own. Very embarrassing, I drifted gently into the car behind. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #401599 23rd Dec 2020 6:08 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

On our Evoque, you can’t drive off in reverse with the door open as the electronic parking brake comes on. Done it a few times trying to reverse whilst looking out of the door. Actually thought my 'box had gone the other day but I hadn’t quite shut the door. Strange that it didn’t do that on that RR. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #401602 23rd Dec 2020 7:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>