Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Range Rover Runs Over Owner
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

When parked on a hill how many people point the wheels towards the gutter down a hill & away from the gutter up a hill. Just another level of passive safety when parked.

I have a strip on the garage floor 20mm high that the front right tyre has to run over so the car cannot run backwards. Not that it will as the floor is level. Together with the block of wood in front of the tyre the car is going nowhere. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #401603 23rd Dec 2020 8:04 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Is the fact that opening the drivers door applies the EPB also true for a late model FL2 since it contains a lot of Evoque components? I will try it tomorrow. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #401604 23rd Dec 2020 8:06 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

The Evoque is the illegitimate child of the Freelander & the other parent of a colourful heritage! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #401605 23rd Dec 2020 8:25 pm
Slobbox

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

As I said before my jag will automatically put itself in park if I turn the engine off. It also automatically turns the brake on. You're not telling me that if my XF does that then the range rover doesnt. I would have thought theat they would share the same safety features. I have also noticed on the newer models they are doing away with the twisty gear selector and going back to a lever.

Post #401606 23rd Dec 2020 8:42 pm
Mattmjones

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Maybe one reason why the newest JLR models - e.g. latest facelift Evoque and Disco Sport - have got rid of the rotary dial and returned to a more conventional shift stick? New Defender also has a stick...

Post #401607 23rd Dec 2020 9:28 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

DEG5Y wrote:
Hand Brake?

There are lots of drivers of automatic cars that never ever use the hand brake - just put it into P.

I always put in on when parked up but I have to admit I got out of my BMW once whilst it was still in D. I had just set off home from work and as I exited the staff carpark I stopped to briefly talk to someone as they walked past but after a few minutes I needed to get out to look at something. I completely forgot the car was in D and I had been holding the car on the brake pedal. It was only as I stood beside the open drivers door that the car moved forward. I quickly reached in and pulled on the handbrake (not a fiddly EPB switch luckily) and got back in the seat. If it had been in R, the door would have dragged me backwards like that poor lady. Felt very silly but lucky. Jules

Post #401611 24th Dec 2020 12:33 am
Dartman the one

England 

I don't know about later LR products, my 2012 FL didn't have electric hand brake, but my 2011 banger 3008 Pug does and it comes on when the ignition is turned off, shove it in any gear and take the key out, no problem, just won't start unless in neutral or park, handbrake drops off on a touch of accelerator my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #401626 24th Dec 2020 10:09 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

jules wrote:
DEG5Y wrote:
Hand Brake?

There are lots of drivers of automatic cars that never ever use the hand brake - just put it into P.

Same here with our Evoque. Put it in park, handbrake comes on. Switch off in any gear - rotary dial goes into park, handbrake comes on. Start up, select a gear, handbrake comes off. I’ve never really had to use it. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #401641 24th Dec 2020 2:28 pm
Navigator

Scotland 

For those who do not use the park brake and rely on the pawl in the gear box I suggest they take a look at the size of the pawl. It is designed to keep the gears in place, not hold two tons on a slope, and is really quite small. Small enough that a parking shunt could snap it off and move the vehicle. Everyone can spread it - Anyone can catch it. Stay home - the life you save can be your own!

Post #401642 24th Dec 2020 3:20 pm
Slobbox

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

That's the point on the JLR vehicles with the Dial gear selector the car will automatically put it into park and apply the parking brake on when you turn the engine off.

Post #401646 25th Dec 2020 10:42 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Can I be the first to say that I like the dial gear selector and that it puts on the electric handbrake without me having to remember / bother.

OK it's not as good as the FL1 system which allowed you select 1st or 2nd and didn't get a monk-on when you got too close to the redline - once drove the FL1 in 1st and 2nd for a full day off-road. But that's progress I suppose. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #401650 25th Dec 2020 12:20 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Slobbox wrote:
That's the point on the JLR vehicles with the Dial gear selector the car will automatically put it into park and apply the parking brake on when you turn the engine off.

But if you get with the engine running, as I once did ... Jules

Post #401657 25th Dec 2020 2:42 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Jules forget the once, I must have done it half a dozen times at least in the last 14 years of driving autos.

I did notice though a slight issue. When using a lever (old style) it is fairly obvious by the position if you are in P or D - reverse not quite as clear. But with the rotary, the position makes no odds unless you were to spoil the nice clean lines by putting a line on the smart dial. It does give a visual display towards the front of the dial, but this is located VERY close to the cubby hole that everyone fills with odds and sods (Blue badge completely obliterates it) - so easy to miss.
The dash also shows you what position you are in, but again a far less obvious indication than a lever.

Not saying that I didn't do it in the FL1, which definitely had the proper P-R-N-D-2-1 lever, but on every occasion it was my fault, and luckily no accidents/damage caused.

Just thinking out loud - it's pouring down (Manchester!) so I am not going outside to check, but, I have often flicked from D to R, to find out that I was in Sport mode, so going from S to N and then going nowhere. I wonder if the driver could have been in Sport mode, thinking they were in Drive, flicked it across three into what they thought was park and selected Reverse. We all drive on muscle memory, no one after the first 50,000 miles actually looks to change gear, easy enough mistake to make ? Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #401692 26th Dec 2020 7:39 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I’ve used a rotary gear selector on my last 3 cars, over around 160,000 plus miles and the system works just fine. Suing, rather than taking personal responsibility, seems to be the way of things.

One trend I’ve noticed in my own line of work is users taking less and less time and interest in learning how to operate a piece of equipment and being more ready to cry “not fit for purpose” when they break it through incompetence or when it doesn’t perform a function it was never designed to do! JLR must despair when idiots find new and imaginative ways to destroy, or kill themselves with, bits of equipment that they have little interest in learning how to use properly!

Rant over! Thumbs Up

Post #401936 31st Dec 2020 9:57 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

It's not just those that are intellectually challenged that don't read manuals, I often design and build complicated potentially dangerous machines for R&D outfits, they come with manuals that take me a couple of weeks to write, and buried in the screens are help files so touch the button and it will prompt you to do the right thing and they still ring up with stupid questions.

Or am I the only one who reads the manual from cover to cover before turning the power on. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #401972 1st Jan 2021 1:31 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>