Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Battery charger on Freelander 2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
3landertwo

..... battery isolator, only. for use with a fully charged battery, reduces 'trickle leakage'.

Post #402383 8th Jan 2021 12:55 pm
riverblanche

England 

Hi,
I have a Lidl smart charger that are about £35 (when they have them) and have cut the croc clips off and put this type of fitting on the end

they will take 2mm cable and about 15 amps Whistle

have then put the other end on the croc clips I cut off, pair of ring connectors so can wire direct, caravan charger multiplug so can use it in caravan, 7S pin plug for using on tow socket

If you are going to have an electric extension from your house to car, why not use a standard type smart charger placed under the bonnet and have a pair of ring connectors to the battery (neg chassis not direct) with this sort of end and then plug your charger in when needed, you can still use the charger anywhere else if need be Question

you could possibly place the charger in the passenger footwell and have cables in the door seal shuts
(try first to see how tight it is as I dont know Laughing it could crush the cable?)

Thumbs Up

. .
my first ever FL2 and I did keep it longer than most other cars!
But its now gone way up Norf

Post #402387 8th Jan 2021 2:07 pm
3landertwo

.......... "and have cables in the door seal shuts
(try first to see how tight it is as I dont know Laughing it could crush the cable?)"

be careful, should it rain and the rain trickles down the door seal and along the cable, may cause water ingress.

Post #402394 8th Jan 2021 3:53 pm
thehelper

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

I am not sure why you guys do not just run the cable under the bonnet an connect to the battery as normal using the charger
croc clips. I must be missing something.

Post #402410 8th Jan 2021 9:42 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Well I don’t use crocodile clips but I do run the cable under the bonnet!

Post #402414 8th Jan 2021 10:25 pm
Lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

thehelper wrote:
I am not sure why you guys do not just run the cable under the bonnet an connect to the battery as normal using the charger
croc clips. I must be missing something.

Fair point ! It's just that I like neat permanent convenient solutions!
Must be a bit OCD Laughing FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #402434 9th Jan 2021 12:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Hello Lakelander, please let me point out that running a mains cable from outside wall socket to your car is quite dangerous as water is an excellent conductor. Never ever underestimate anything with mains electricity and or connectors are safe even when the manufacturers sell so called waterproof connectors for outside environments. Again there maybe an occasion that a mains cable either becomes trapped or damaged causing a short.

With my set up the charger sits on a shelf just under the eaves of the garage roof, Noco sell various lengths of extension cables to the car, either with crocodile clips or ring terminals with an inline fuse close to the battery post. Battery 12 volts is a far safer way in outside environments

My connection joint sits behind the grille with a long cable tie attached to pull out the fly lead, it’s really quite hidden, wired directly to the battery posts with insulated ring terminals the wires are also in copex tubing similar to the factory cables.

Again with mine a neighbour asked me “ Is your car a hybrid? As you have a cable plugged in”.

Please don’t use mains to your car, try some other solution
What about a solar panel with a connector to the rear centre socket- permanently live too! I did this in Switzerland two years ago while touring, the battery was constantly being charged.

Post #402436 9th Jan 2021 1:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
3landertwo

Davy, you wouldn't have seen this then ...

Click image to enlarge

Extra 'fuel cap' set into rear bumper, to reveal .....

Click image to enlarge

16Amp mains hook-up !!

This was a special FL2 converted to expedition vehicle, built some years ago. the car also had solar panels on the roof.

Post #402438 9th Jan 2021 1:56 pm
riverblanche

England 

thehelper wrote:
I am not sure why you guys do not just run the cable under the bonnet an connect to the battery as normal using the charger croc clips. I must be missing something.

You do what best suits you Thumbs Up

The great thing with the forum is you get Loads of different options to consider Question
and details about what Type of charger and how best to connect it Whistle
before making the decision of what Really Does suit you best

for me reverse up to garage door with leads under it and use the 12S socket, my smart charger keeps nice and cosy inside the garage and I can swap the fitting for other jobs that crocs are not suitable for

Thumbs Up .
my first ever FL2 and I did keep it longer than most other cars!
But its now gone way up Norf

Post #402450 9th Jan 2021 5:53 pm
Lakelander

davyboy wrote:
Hello Lakelander, please let me point out that running a mains cable from outside wall socket to your car is quite dangerous as water is an excellent conductor. Never ever underestimate anything with mains electricity and or connectors are safe even when the manufacturers sell so called waterproof connectors for outside environments. Again there maybe an occasion that a mains cable either becomes trapped or damaged causing a short.

With my set up the charger sits on a shelf just under the eaves of the garage roof, Noco sell various lengths of extension cables to the car, either with crocodile clips or ring terminals with an inline fuse close to the battery post. Battery 12 volts is a far safer way in outside environments

My connection joint sits behind the grille with a long cable tie attached to pull out the fly lead, it’s really quite hidden, wired directly to the battery posts with insulated ring terminals the wires are also in copex tubing similar to the factory cables.

Again with mine a neighbour asked me “ Is your car a hybrid? As you have a cable plugged in”.

Please don’t use mains to your car, try some other solution

What about a solar panel with a connector to the rear centre socket- permanently live too! I did this in Switzerland two years ago while touring, the battery was constantly being charged.

Many thanks for pointing out the dangers of external mains cable - hopeless with electricity!
Now thinking if it is feasible to use the mains in my garden room . Keep the charger inside the room and run a cable ( carrying 12volts ?)from the charger out to the car. It is about 25 metres from the garden room to the car - would that cause any problems?

btw mine is a MY2013 facelift , and the power socket in the central console goes dead about 3 mins after ignition is turned off, and I don't won't to alter any electrics as Freelancer seem quite complex and sensitive.

Really appreciate your advice Thumbs Up FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #402454 9th Jan 2021 8:45 pm
Lakelander

Freelancer ?? Where did that come from? Pesky predictive text ! Evil or Very Mad FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #402455 9th Jan 2021 8:48 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I bought a CTEK extension cable so that the charger can sit in the footwell - power feed and charging exit the car from the door lower edge.
I can now charge the FL2 with it all locked up and no connections open to the elements. Jules

Post #402461 9th Jan 2021 11:45 pm
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Hi lakelander 25 metres is quite a way you may possibly have a voltage drop at the battery and plus you may require a larger cable size to accommodate the drop.

Just thinking of a solution to a solar panel could you position a panel on or near the car and connect straight to the battery?

I will have a look on Monday at voltage drop with my setup with a 30 metre length, can’t do it tomorrow as my gear is locked away at workshops in Liverpool, cable is here but tools and multimeter are not.

Report back Monday 11th.

Post #402462 9th Jan 2021 11:46 pm
Lakelander

Thank you. Take your time no rush. I am thinking for the future as I replaced the original oe Land rover / Exide with a Varta F18 last August and it is currently fine despite me doing hardly any miles.

Don't understand Solar - does it produce 12v?

Cumbria not renowned for sunshine !! Laughing

The Freelander original did well to last 7 years. my Defender is nearly 8 and still has its original.Although when turned off there is very little going on - no monitoring or checking etc. So much for progress? FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #402471 10th Jan 2021 11:41 am
3landertwo

I drove around with a lowish battery for 2yrs, no stop / start. This summer I peak charged it with a solar cell charger. Was astonished to find that the battery became 'rejuvenated' and switched the stop / start back on automatically. Stop/Start is one of the first things to be deactivated when your battery is low.

Post #402473 10th Jan 2021 12:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123