Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Battery charger on Freelander 2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Trickle charging by a towing S plug would be really useful for me but I don't have towing electrics fitted ( nor a tow bar for that matter). I could fit the electrics without a bar . Can anybody tell me if Freelander2s come with a pre- installed connector ready to just connect a towing harness and socket and if it exists where is it located. My Defender came with a connector in the rh wheel arch/rear light cavity so it was easy to just connect up the wiring. FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #401156 15th Dec 2020 5:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Walkerdel

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I don't know whether they changed things with the 2013 model but, on my 2012 model, the rear cigar lighter socket on the centre console is permanently live. I use this to connect my ctek mxs5 for regular topping up during the winter months when only doing short runs with lots of electrical loads. Might be worth checking if you haven't already.

Derek 2012 SD4 XS Santorini Black

Post #401159 15th Dec 2020 8:00 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

shiggsy wrote:
I think the reason the negative lead is recommended to be connected to the chassis and not the negative terminal is if the charging takes place in an enclosed or unvetilated space. If gasses build up during the charging process, removing the negative lead from the terminal can lead to sparking which is best avoided.
you must jumpstart using jump leads using the engine block for the earth ,not the battery terminal.this avoids spikes to the ecu,saying that though,ive had to directly connect to the battery with stubbon starters in the past ,its a risk though.some vehicles will have a big red cross on the battery minus stating this.in the old days ie 1996 vauxhall!,if you jump started and the battery was duff,so never took a charge after 10 mins or so, and you disconnected the leads with the slave vehicle still running,the ecu would blow due to the sudden surge from its own alternator.

Post #401161 15th Dec 2020 10:46 pm
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Hello Sid, yes your correct certainly a spike does not help with precious ecu control units and to be fair cars now are computers not as they once were.
I do always if using Jump Leads or a Jump pack switch on the none starters car head lights if able or just open all the doors and boot so that the sudden surge in current lights them up and not an ecu.

Why can’t we return to the good old days, points,condenser,coil. Or with diesels something not seen- A diesel powered car not a truck.

Post #401163 15th Dec 2020 11:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lakelander

Walkerdel wrote:
I don't know whether they changed things with the 2013 model but, on my 2012 model, the rear cigar lighter socket on the centre console is permanently live. I use this to connect my ctek mxs5 for regular topping up during the winter months when only doing short runs with lots of electrical loads. Might be worth checking if you haven't already.

Derek

Thanks for reply. I think the power socket you refer to stays live on mine for a while but then shuts down, but will check again. I wonder if the power socket in the luggage area would be suitable. Do you use a cigar lighter attachment to plug in your charger.
I have no garage so need to lock my vehicle while trickle charging. Thought if I fitted a 13 pin socket somewhere under the rear I could then run a cable with plug from a trickle charger .
Anybody know if a 13 pin harness would fit directly onto the connector which I am now told is located inside the rear
luggage compartment ( not sure which side?)
Think it has to be a 13 pin socket/plug as it has a live lead or would a 7 pin N or S do the job? FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #401164 15th Dec 2020 11:41 pm
Walkerdel

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

The power socket on the rear of the console (on mine at least) doesn't shut off and I've been using it for charging for several years. The one in the luggage area is ignition switched.

I use a genuine ctek "Cigarette Lighter Connecter" (£7.99 on Amazon) and extended it with a few metres of 10Amp twin cable. Once it's plugged in the door closes and locks without any problem with the lead at the bottom of the door. During shutdown it was sat quite happily on charge for weeks without any issues.

Derek 2012 SD4 XS Santorini Black

Post #401171 16th Dec 2020 8:43 am
CED

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Bali Blue

Yes I do the same, but on my 2011 HSE the rear socket is permanently live also.

Post #401176 16th Dec 2020 11:04 am
Lakelander

Checked today and all my power sockets power off about 3 minutes after the ignition is turned off.
So will need to reconsider fitting a 13 pin socket
Thanks FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #401196 16th Dec 2020 7:32 pm
riverblanche

England 

Hi,
if your going to consider the tow sockets again why not go for a permanent fly lead from the battery it should be simpler Question

if you use a ctek these are available already with couple of different ends if you want a monitor as well

if you use another type of charger make up your own lead with a male/female plug (have a look in Martins "Shop") and then ring or spade's to connect to the battery (charging post Whistle )

may be a simpler solution

Thumbs Up .
my first ever FL2 and I did keep it longer than most other cars!
But its now gone way up Norf

Post #401251 17th Dec 2020 5:05 pm
Lakelander

Thanks, that will probably be a cheaper solution as well as the towing harness/ looms are not cheap Smile FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #401262 17th Dec 2020 9:44 pm
Lakelander

anybody come across or used this Noco on board charger?

Noco Genius 2D 2 amp on board maintenance charger

sold on Amazon and also Halfords for a bit more ( £50 ) - sorry couldnt get a link to work

Seems to be a good solution for a vehicle which sits a lot Question FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #402340 7th Jan 2021 7:35 pm
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Hi, yes I have a noco genius charger as previously put on this forum, I have a company car so the freelander sits around a lot, also I was on call xmas eve to New Year’s Day, the landy sat on the drive for all this time plugged into my charger, it was a nice thought that the battery was fully charged through the very cold snap. As explained the charger has a connector in the front grille with the lead connectors straight to the battery posts.

It’s a 3 year warranty on Noco chargers, mine is two years old now and sits on a shelf under the eaves of my garage roof with a Noco extension cable

Your 2D charger is max 2 amps, ample for a slow trickle over long periods.

Would recommend one anytime.

Post #402349 7th Jan 2021 10:31 pm
Lakelander

Thanks for reply.
The Noco Genius 2d charger I am looking at is an on-board model which you fix permanently under the bonnet and attach directly to the battery posts. Ideal for me as I have no garage. A mains cable must then run from the Noco unit to an external mains source. It would also be suitable for me to have a waterproof socket behind the front grille as you do - and then have a plug with cable running to my outside mains source on the side of the house. What type of socket / plug do you have? Any chance of a photo - perhaps when it warms up a bit Thumbs Up FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #402369 8th Jan 2021 11:40 am
3landertwo

always worth doing a search of previous posts.

found this .... scroll to last post

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic32752.ht...+preserver

Amazon are currently out of stock Sad

Post #402375 8th Jan 2021 11:56 am
Lakelander

Thanks
Is this not just a battery isolated rather than a trickle charger? Question FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #402380 8th Jan 2021 12:25 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>