Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Misfire on 1 cylinder when cold, and under load when hot.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
petero

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

Nodge, I've found the 32 bit installer package that I used for mine (yes, I'm pretty sure it's a Mongoose clone as well) and if you pm me an email address I will send it to you to try. As MotionInc says, you install the package without the cable connected and then connect the cable (doesn't need to be connected to the vehicle) and it should then register with your laptop.
You should be able to just run the installer package and follow the instructions.

If you decide to try V.130 I don't think it runs on Windows 7 - that's why I had to install it in a virtual machine running Windows XP.

Post #399520 8th Nov 2020 12:49 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

V130 on the Jaguar forum is run in Oracle virtual machine environment; I am running it on a Win 10 Pro Dell 630 and it's pretty fast. Even though the virtual machine is a win XP/SDD 130 virtual environment, I found that running it on the Win 10 Pro platform seems to make the virtual environment run faster & more seamless. It takes a bit to learn how to configure the virtual machine to proportionately display all the info in SDD but this software hardware combo seems to be efficient for me. 4 GB of ram and a SSD HDD is also onboard.

My personal opinion, it's likely the USB hardware port or the software controller for that port. Check with the laptop manufacturer's site for the most up to date Bio for that motherboard and flash it.

Maybe, I am going down a rabbit hole....................... Confused Whistle ?
Here is the link to the Jag forum where you can get the virtual machine SDDV130, I read every post in this thread to learn as much as I could, even though the info is old it's still relevant to managing my comfort level.
https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=108460

Post #399522 8th Nov 2020 1:35 pm
petero

I think we have followed the same path MotionInc, I linked to that thread back on page 1 Very Happy .
The only difference in our set ups is that I don't have a SSD drive yet but I agree that V.130 runs fine on Windows 10 using Oracle VirtualBox. The only issue I had recently was when I upgraded to the latest version of VirtualBox and the JLR SDD machine wouldn't run - I rolled it back to the version I used before and it was fine again. When I have some time I will take another look at it because it keeps prompting me to update again which is irritating.

Post #399525 8th Nov 2020 2:36 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

The driver installed. Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

The fast flashing green and constant red LED has been replaced with a slow flashing green and occasional red LED.

I've plugged it into my FL2 and I can read the VIN and what modules are fitted.

So now for the auxiliary power supply part of the operation. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #399533 8th Nov 2020 3:58 pm
Nodge68

alex_pescaru wrote:
There is a specific procedure in the dealer SDD software for replacing engine ECU.
It's a simple, step by step procedure, during which it will read the info from the old ECU, have you exchange the ECUs and then write it back to the new ECU.

Any idea how I find this procedure, like what option I need to look under?

Any information on this would be appreciated. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.

Post #399537 8th Nov 2020 4:57 pm
alex_pescaru

It's possible to be among the Service Functions.
Sorry, but my time with SDD was about 10 years ago...

Post #399538 8th Nov 2020 5:01 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Nodge68 wrote:

The fast flashing green and constant red LED has been replaced with a slow flashing green and occasional red LED.

So now for the auxiliary power supply part of the operation.

Good stuff! Now, make sure your aux power supply is adequate to keep your battery voltage 13 volts or more while using SDD and also have your laptop connected to it's power supply as well. Have patience, read everything that's on screen as the software is not always user friendly. If any procedure fails, don't panic, just do it again. And, bonne chance! Thumbs Up

Post #399541 8th Nov 2020 5:55 pm
Nodge68

MotionInc wrote:
Nodge68 wrote:

So now for the auxiliary power supply part of the operation.

Good stuff! Now, make sure your aux power supply is adequate to keep your battery voltage 13 volts or more while using SDD and also have your laptop connected to it's power supply as well. Have patience, read everything that's on screen as the software is not always user friendly. If any procedure fails, don't panic, just do it again. And, bonne chance! Thumbs Up

Ok. Just a thought. If I can't come up with a large enough auxiliary power source, couldn't I just run some cables to the battery of another one of me vehicles and use its alternator to keep my FL2 battery charged while programming? 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.

Post #399670 10th Nov 2020 3:58 pm
petero

You could do that but you might be running it for some time! The first time I used it I only had a 10A supply which just about coped. I've since bought a 13.8V 20 amp supply which seems fine, even for extended periods.

Post #399677 10th Nov 2020 4:49 pm
Nodge68

petero wrote:
You could do that but you might be running it for some time! The first time I used it I only had a 10A supply which just about coped. I've since bought a 13.8V 20 amp supply which seems fine, even for extended periods.
I'm not worried about running another vehicle for a long period of time. I'll use the wife's Fiat 500 1.4, which sips fuel, so it's not a problem, its also parked right next to the FL2, so it's pretty convenient really.

I do have a 10 Amp bench power supply, and a 10 Amp battery charger, so those might work too, although I'm liking borrowing the wife's alternator for my power requirement needs. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.

Post #399692 10th Nov 2020 8:35 pm
Nodge68

Right so I replaced the ECU/PTM with another, using SDD and the wife's Fiat 500 (engine running) as the power supply. It took about 15 minutes in total to save the current PTM data, and download it to a replacement.

Click image to enlarge

The engine started on the replacement module, and ran well on a warm engine. I did some configuration stuff, so the engine could relearn its adaptions. And I reset the idle speed too. However the engine still started on 3 cylinders when it had cooled down, which like before improves as it warms up. However under load it's still dropping to 3 cylinders. This is a regular heavy misfire, which seems constant while under load. Once the load is reduced, it returns to 4 cylinder running, which makes little sense to me. It makes me wonder if I've a leaking valve, as all 4 valve seats on the damaged cylinder needed extensive re-cutting, which I did by hand. However cranking compression dispels this theory, and when idling and revving off load, the engine is running as smooth as silk.

So I'm open to more reasons for a cylinder to drop down under load. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.

Last edited by Nodge68 on 16th Nov 2020 3:41 pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #399996 16th Nov 2020 3:30 pm
Nodge68

alex_pescaru wrote:
Usable flow restricted on one injector - either a bad nozzle or a partially open return.
On idle, the low flow situation can be compensated by the ECU using the cylinder balance algorithm, but when under load, when high flow is needed, the injector will reach "its "limit".
From what I remember you can play with the eight injectors at your disposal and use the good ones.
Only a simple codding procedure in SDD for that....

Thanks. I've 7 injectors in total, 4 in the engine and 3 although the 3 I have spare are unknown and may not work at all.

But it gives me somewhere to look know.
Thanks. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.

Post #399997 16th Nov 2020 3:38 pm
Nodge68

Yesterday I used my Delphi diagnostic tool to read the injector codes, as I couldn't find this information using SDD.

Interestingly none of the injector codes in my ECU, actually match the codes on the actual injectors. So I wonder if the code's from the old ECU don't copy over (which I would think odd) or the injectors have been replaced without re-coding (very likely going by the quality of the workmanship I've seen so far).
I can't see the misfire being caused by wrong injector code's, but it can't help emissions. So correctly coding the injectors is the next job. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.

Post #400264 22nd Nov 2020 1:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123