Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Misfire on 1 cylinder when cold, and under load when hot.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

petero wrote:
I can't vouch for this seller but they list a Mongoose clone for £31 here: https://www.cartool.co.uk/wholesale/v159-j...mMQAvD_BwE

It will come with the SDD software and you can also download different versions on one of the Jaguar forum links I posted before.

I can't see the cheap cables on eBay now so it looks like you may have to buy direct from China.

Can you post the part number of your ECU or a photograph of the label on it? I might have a spare one I can let you have to try but it is probably best to make sure that you use an identical one to yours. I will try and dig it out so I know which number mine is.

As requested. Here's a picture of the ECU label.

Click image to enlarge

I bought that lead, which is obviously a Mongoose clone, as it has Mongoose stickers in the packet.

I'm having trouble sorting out a suitable PC with compatible software at the moment. Sad 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Last edited by Nodge68 on 2nd Nov 2020 1:13 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #399218 1st Nov 2020 10:16 pm
alex_pescaru

If your's a MY2008, then that's the wrong ECU for your car...
That is a MY2010 ECU (AH52...), for sure not existing when your car was manufactured.

I believe that at some point your ECU was exchanged for a different one, or the case is from a newer one.

For example my MY2009 is beginning with "6G91-....".
A MY2008, for sure, is something the same.

Post #399221 1st Nov 2020 11:51 pm
Nodge68

alex_pescaru wrote:
If your's a MY2008, then that's the wrong ECU for your car...
That is a MY2010 ECU (AH52...), for sure not existing when your car was manufactured.

I believe that at some point your ECU was exchanged for a different one, or the case is from a newer one.

For example my MY2009 is beginning with "6G91-....".
A MY2008, for sure, is something the same.
That's very interesting. My FL2 is a late 2008 SE, so should have an ECU of that age, so it may well have been replaced already.

I've just had a quote for a cloned replacement ECU for £300. Does it matter that the ECU is the wrong one?
Will the relevant information go over to the cloned ECU?

The company that will do the clone aren't so happy, just in case the ECU clone doesn't work. So do you know if I get another identical ECU cloned, that it'll work in my 2008 Freelander? 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #399241 2nd Nov 2020 12:31 pm
alex_pescaru

Don't know what they mean by cloned ECU.
You can exchange very easy the ECUs if you have access to a dealer like SDD.
So just get an used ECU for your car MY and perform "Replace engine ECU" procedure in SDD.

Post #399270 2nd Nov 2020 8:15 pm
Nodge68

Unfortunately I don't have access to SDD, or even a PC with a suitable Windows OS to run SDD, so it's not easy for me.
Unfortunately I've no choice but to pay someone else to do the cloning operation for me. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #399282 2nd Nov 2020 11:31 pm
petero

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

I've got a spare 6G91-12A650-AE that you can have to try cloning if you like although you will need to get the SDD issue sorted. I did it by setting up a virtual machine on my laptop which runs Windows XP and loading SDD V130 on it with a batch file to set the date to the 8th Aug 2012. You need to ensure that the virtual machine has networking switched off so SDD can't try and update as that will mess it up. As I mentioned before, the Jaguar forums seem to be the best resource for getting SDD running.

Post #399336 4th Nov 2020 12:35 am
Nodge68

Thanks Peter. That's very good of you. I should have SDD running in the next few days, so yes I would love to try it out on your spare ECU. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #399348 4th Nov 2020 3:25 pm
Nodge68

petero wrote:
I've got a spare 6G91-12A650-AE that you can have to try cloning if you like although you will need to get the SDD issue sorted. I did it by setting up a virtual machine on my laptop which runs Windows XP and loading SDD V130 on it with a batch file to set the date to the 8th Aug 2012. You need to ensure that the virtual machine has networking switched off so SDD can't try and update as that will mess it up. As I mentioned before, the Jaguar forums seem to be the best resource for getting SDD running.

Thanks Peter.

How did you get your Mongoose lead working? (was yours a clone?). The driver on the Mongoose website wants an activation key, which I don't have.
I'm hoping that once I've got this lead working, then I'll have SDD running.

Cheers. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #399477 7th Nov 2020 3:04 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Are you using V130 SDD on a virtual machine? If so, the driver is already preloaded, you just have to "load" it.

Post #399481 7th Nov 2020 4:17 pm
Nodge68

No not 130. It appears I've got 159 loaded. A friend of mine has done it and sent me the HDD with windows 7 32 bit and SDD installed. I'm not great with computers, at least not getting software to work.

I've got the clone Mongoose Pro clone, but can't find the drivers on the disc that came with the cable. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #399485 7th Nov 2020 5:20 pm
MotionInc

Looks like the driver for the JLR Mongoose Pro is under J2534 from memory. I am currently using my Linux laptop, my lappy with the virtual machine loaded is not currently handy but I would insert the disk you got with the Mongoose and when you insert the cable point the driver request to the disk and see if your windows PC finds it? I would also contact your friend that setup the laptop and troubleshoot this with him or her.

My recommendation would not to used SDD unless you have significant knowledge of computers and the software/hardware you are using. You will also 100% need a "supply charger" with approx 25-30 amps when using the software and your vehicle to support your vehicle battery. This is definitely going to be stressful, no escaping it.

Post #399487 7th Nov 2020 6:07 pm
Nodge68

Thanks for the information. It's looking like I'll be sending the ECU off for cloning then, as I just don't have the time or real ability to be messing with PC software. I'm a hardware engineer, so software isn't my strong point. Sad 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #399490 7th Nov 2020 6:26 pm
petero

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

It's a pity if you can't make use of the cable - I don't remember having any driver issues with V.130 but it's a while since I set it up now. I will see if I can figure it out but what MotionInc said seems right to me.
I forgot to mention the 20amp power supply you need connected to you battery while using SDD - that is an absolute must have.
ECU is on its way to you now so hopefully it will be of use to you.

Post #399507 8th Nov 2020 1:28 am
Nodge68

Thanks for sending the ECU Peter.
I'm hoping that I can get the cable working, but at the moment, the driver seems illusive.

I guessed I'd need a supplementary power supply, which I'm sure I can source.
I've got a reasonable sized bench power supply, which should do the trick.

The main concern is getting SDD to see the cable. I also think I might have an issue with the OBD2 port, as I can't get anything to see the data, except my Icarsoft I930. My IID BT won't connect, nor will my generic ELM327 with torque, so the could be another issue.

Do you know. Can the Mongoose Pro clone be configured without it being plugged into the OBD2 port on the car?

Thanks again for sending me the ECU.
That's very generous of you. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #399513 8th Nov 2020 11:54 am
MotionInc

Yes, the Mongoose clone will register and can be configured without being connected to the vehicle port in windows device manager. Have you looked at the index on the software disk that came with your clone for a file labeled J2534? I loaded SDD157 when I got mine but reverted to a virtual version of V130 ultimately.

Post #399517 8th Nov 2020 1:14 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>